All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Corvey Irvin, DT, Georgia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:49 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Corvey Irvin
6-3/302 Georgia
4.99 Senior

Pros: Has a nice first step with good quickness. He's a disruptor that can push the pocket. Is a nice bull rusher due to his first step. Shows some potential with his strength at the point of attack, because he can get leverage due to his first step.

Cons: Needs to get stronger, and gets pushed back at times at the point of attack. Needs to improve when taking on doubled teams. Lacks a great motor and will give up on plays once the QB or ballcarrier is outside his area.

Overview: Plays both the 1 and 3 techniques, and has the potential to do both at the next level. Went to Georgia Military College before transferring to Georgia in 2007. Was thrust into lineup when Jeff Owens was injured and responded with solid season: 8.5 tackles for loss and 3 sacks. From Augusta, GA.

NFL Forecast: Irvin looks like a nice rotational player to me. Has some potential to be a starter, but I think he fits best as a guy that can play both nose and under tackle and is the first guy off the bench. I don't really like his motor for him to be a starter. Right now, he's probably a better fit at the 3-technique because of his quickness. He'll need to get bigger and stronger to hold up at nose tackle. But either way, I think he still needs to get bigger to play the 3-technique as well. If he gets stronger and better vs. the run, he stands a chance. But more than likely I see him becoming a capable No.3 tackle rather than a starter. Has starter potential, but if he reaches it'll probably be with his second team.

ATL Forecast: Irvin definitely helps the Falcons rotation and could eat some snaps at nose tackle. But he's a few years away from making an impact there as a starter. More than likely, he could be a guy that could split carries. He'll never be a top pass rusher (maybe 2-3 sacks per year), but is a nice disruptor. More than anything, Irvin helps the Falcons rotation, but probably doesn't solve their issues of finding a long-term starter at the nose.

Value: Irvin is a solid mid-to-late round pick. He'd be worth a fifth round pick.

Profile E-mail