Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Will Johnson, DT/DE, Michigan

Postby Pudge » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Will Johnson
6-4/281 Michigan
5.07 Senior

Pros: He has nice size and good strength coupled with a nice motor.

Cons: Has average quickness and doesn't get much penetration. Gets pushed around by bigger guys and needs to do a better job getting leverage vs. the run.

Overview: Plays a lot of a 3-technique for the Wolverines, but I think his best position for the pros will be playing the 5-technique in a 3-4 scheme. Did 47 bench reps at his pro day. The Combine record is 45. Doesn't translate that well on the field.

NFL Forecast: If Johnson moves to the 3-4 scheme at end, then I think he could be a decent rotation player. He's a guy that I think can make an NFL roster, but not exactly the type of guy that will earn a lot of playing time. Maybe as time wears on he'll get better. But he's a guy that I don't see getting a second contract in the league. He has good strength and motor, but that's really all he has and it takes a bit more than that to stick in the NFL. Eventually his team will find a better option via the draft or free agency. Just a depth guy.

ATL Forecast: Johnson isn't quick enough to really make an impact as a 4-3 tackle, and is too big and slow to stick in the 4-3 at end. He would be hard-pressed to even make the practice squad in Atlanta since his upside is very limited in a 4-3 scheme.

Value: Johnson isn't worth drafting, but a 3-4 team should bring him to camp.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “Defensive Tackles”