All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will Davis, DE, Illinois
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:54 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Will Davis
6-2/260 Illinois
4.86 Senior

Pros: Has good quickness and a nice first step. Has a nice swim move to beat the guard when he lines up inside. Has a good motor and can make plays in pursuit. Does a nice job when operating in space on zone blitzes. At times, uses his first step to get leverage vs. the run.

Cons: Lacks strength and gets pushed around at the point of attack. Lacks the edge speed to turn the corner.

Overview: His athleticism is apparent, but he's a bit raw and inconsistent. Plays both inside and outside for Illinois, but is more effective when he plays outside. Saw a drop in his production from his junior year where he had 9.5 sacks to his senior year with just 3.5 sacks. Started his career on offense playing wide receiver and tight end.

NFL Forecast: Davis probably won't be a starter at the next level, but has some potential to get there eventually. One of those players that it would not be surprising if 2-3 years from now, he'll be a better NFL player than he was in college. But I think he can definitely help out in the rotation. He needs to get bigger and stronger vs. the run. He'll never be a dominant edge rusher. I could imagine him making a more permanent move inside with some teams like say the Indianapolis Colts, but he'd only be average there and would need to probably bulk up to around 285 or so. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a team try and bulk him up and try to make him a disruptive interior player.

ATL Forecast: Davis has potential to develop into a starter down the road. Kind of reminds me a bit of Chauncey Davis when he first came to Atlanta, and there could be hope that his development could be similar. Will Davis would probably be a better pass rusher than Chauncey, but like Chauncey he's probably two or three years from making a significant impact. He'd help the Falcons in the rotation in the mean time.

Value: Davis is a late round pick that has some athletic potential and upside to make him a possible fifth rounder, but probably best to be picked in the sixth or seventh round.

Profile E-mail