All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matt Shaughnessy, DE, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Matt Shaughnessy
6-5/263 Wisconsin
4.86 Senior

Pros: Has a nice first step and shows good quickness. Has nice recognition and seemed to be most effective when he lined up in the 5- technique, with a nice inside move.

Cons: Tends to be a step late off the snap and struggles to turn the corner because of it. Struggles vs. the run at the point of attack. Not comfortable moving in space, despite athleticism.

Overview: Shaughnessy is an upside guy. You see his potential, but he doesn't play quite up to his ability yet. Has been plagued by leg injuries all his career, having tore his ACL in 2006 and missed time due to a broken leg in the spring of 2008. Production dropped off significantly from 2007 to 2008, having 18 tackles for loss as a junior, but only 8 as a senior. But sack totals only dropped from 5 to 4.

NFL Forecast: He's probably a few years away from impacting, but could be a really good player if he develops. I think he'll project best if he bulks up to move to left defensive end, since he's not consistent enough edge rusher to be a good rush end. I see a bit of Strahan in him, and while I don't think he'll be as good as Strahan, if he does develop better technique and more consistency I think he could be a solid and productive left end that could produce 8-10 sacks each year. Despite his lack of size, it wouldn't be crazy to try and bulk him up and play him in the 3-4 at end.

ATL Forecast: He'd be an upside guy for the Falcons, under the hope that he can develop into a capable long-term option on the left side. He's probably not going to be very productive in his first few years, but is one of those guys that could really come into his own around his third season. He could contribute initially as a situational pass rusher, although he probably wouldn't be anything special in that role off the bat. But if he can improve his strength, he could be a solid left end that gets by more off technique than speed.

Value: Shaughnessy is a bit too raw and is a middle round pick. He'd make a solid fourth round pick, but anything before that might be a reach considering how much development he needs.

Profile E-mail