All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:06 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Eugene Monroe
6-5/312 Virginia
5.23 Senior

Pros: Has excellent feet, balance, and technique in pass protection. Does a good job adjusting to opponents and works well on an island on the edge. Quick into stance and uses hands well. Is quick to get downfield and willing to cut. Flashes potential as a drive blocker, but is mostly effective as a position blocker.

Cons: Lacking as a run defender. Lacks a mean streak and doesn't finish his blocks. Doesn't have much pop off the snap and lacks the strength to push or drive the defender off ball. Doesn't lock onto defender and linebackers seem to have little difficulty shedding his blocks on the second level. Can set up too deep at times, opening himself up to inside move. Has a few false starts because he doesn't always look at the snap.

Overview: Monroe has the best feet in this class, and arguably the best feet of any left tackle prospect in several years. It makes him a very good pass protector, but he doesn't show the intangibles, strength, and same ability as a run blocker. Replaced D'Brickashaw Ferguson at left tackle in 2006, but was limited that year due to a dislocated kneecap. Missed two games the following year due to another unspecified knee injury. Has 15 siblings.

NFL Forecast: Monroe has a lot of upside if you can get him to improve his run blocking. But I'm not sure he will. He is similar to Ferguson who also had questions about strength and run blocking. And Ferguson had a slow start in the NFL, although is now starting to look like a potentially elite left tackle. Monroe could have a similar start, mainly because I think he may have peaked as a player. And that should still make him better in pass protection than at least half of the left tackles in the league. But I'm not sure he'll really improve as a run blocker. But if he’s only giving up two or three sacks each year, that’s not going to be a major issue. He has potential to be an elite guy, but because he's a one dimensional player, I think it's going to take him a bit longer to get there than a player like Jake Long or Jason Smith.

ATL Forecast: Monroe has greater potential than Baker as a left tackle, but would likely be played on the right side if the Falcons landed him. It would be a transition for him, but he has spent a bit of time as a sophomore at right guard. But he has potential to improve as a run blocker, but it may take him a few years. He would give the team two potentially top pass protectors at tackle, but neither player is known for their run blocking ability, which could hurt the Falcons ground attack.

Value: Monroe is a first round pick with elite tackle potential, making him a potential Top 10 pick. But because I think it may take him some time to transition into a capable run blocker at the next level, I'd be much more willing to use a middle first round pick on him.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

STRENGTH: 3.0
PASS BLOCKING: 4.0
RUN BLOCKING: 2.5
FOOTWORK: 5.0
TECHNIQUE: 3.5
MOBILITY: 3.5
MEAN STREAK: 2.5

Profile E-mail