All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cedric Dockery, OG/OC, Texas
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:16 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Cedric Dockery
6-3/314 Texas
5.40 Senior

Pros: Has good size and strength. Can get some push as a run blocker. Has nice mobility and does a good job on screens and blocking on the second level.

Cons: Doesn't have great feet or hand use. Plays with short arms and lunges. Ends up on the ground too much and struggles when put on an island. Doesn't have strength to be an effective drive blocker. Lacks pop off the snap as a run blocker.

Overview: Dockery is not quite as talented as his older brother Derrick. He has good mobility, but that is his main asset and strength. He started the past three years at right guard, but tore his ACL costing him the second half of the 2006 season. He basically started to platoon this year at right guard, showing that even the UT coaches recognized how limited he was.

NFL Forecast: I don't think Dockery will be anything more than an average backup guard at the next level. The only way I see him being able to stick long-term is if he can show he can play center. I think his skill set is better suited for that position. He shows good enough feet for that position and his short-armed style of play would be much more effective at the pivot than at guard. If he can play that position, he might make a serviceable starter, but probably only as good a player as someone like Melvin Fowler or Jonathan Goodwin. But at the least, he could be a nice interior player able to backup all three positions.

ATL Forecast: Dockery could be a nice backup for the Falcons at all three interior positions if he can prove he can play center. Lacks ideal upside to really be an upgrade over McClure at that position. But he could be valuable depth. But if he can't prove he can play center, then he has little value for the Falcons since they can find much better players to be backup guards.

Value: Dockery's potential to be a utility pivot player much make him worth a seventh round pick, but I'd probably not draft him just in case he can't play center, and just sign him as an undrafted free agent.

Profile E-mail