All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Andrew Hartline, OT, Central Michigan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:12 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Andrew Hartline
6-5/286 Central Michigan
5.02 Senior

Pros: Has good size and has a strong upper body. Is a nice technician that shows potential as a run blocker. Has a good mean streak and does a good job finishing his blocks. Has good pop off the snap. Shows potential as a cut blocker and has decent mobility.

Cons: Has slow feet and struggles with speed rushers. Opens his stance too early and struggles when he's working on an island. Needs to be covered up by a tight end that can help chip the defensive end. Can be bull rushed and not as great a drive blocker as you'd expect.

Overview: He's not a great athlete but has good potential. Played in CMU's spread offense, but not as good a pass protector as you'd think. Started out the first two years at right tackle before moving to left tackle as a junior and senior.

NFL Forecast: I don't think Hartline will be able to cut it at left tackle. Instead, I'd want him to bulk up and potentially play the right side. He should be a nice fit in a zone blocking scheme playing right tackle for a team that likes lighter blockers like Houston or Denver. But he's going to need to bulk up some, and I think he will have to spend a year or two on the bench developing his strength and technique. Doesn't really have upside to be a starter, but I could see him being a decent backup on the right side. He can become a solid run blocker if he gets stronger, but would be limited in pass protection.

ATL Forecast: Hartline could be a decent backup right tackle for the Falcons, but would probably be hard-pressed to make the roster at the outset because of how light he is. Probably would need to add 20 or so pounds to really be effective for the Falcons which would probably take the better part of two years. He'd be a nice practice squad in the mean time. He might be a serviceable swing tackle, but if he's starting at left tackle, you're going to be in trouble. Basically he adds depth to the Falcons, but not great depth.

Value: Some teams might look at Hartline late in the seventh round, but he's a developmental prospect that should be undrafted.

Profile E-mail