All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kory Sperry, TE, Colorado State
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:25 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Kory Sperry
6-5/244 Colorado State
4.77 Senior

Pros: Has good hands and shows nice ability to make the catch in traffic. Has ability to adjust well in the air. Has nice speed and quickness and can challenge defenses vertically. Is an average blocker, but gets good position on the edge and can get the seal.

Cons: Lacks size and strength. Doesn't get push and lacks leg drive as an inline blocker. Has a tall, thin frame that needs to get stronger to play tight end. Doesn't get a great release despite his quickness and needs to improve as a route runner. Doesn't always attack the ball at its highest point when he's in traffic.

Overview: Sperry is a bit of a tweener in my book. I think he if he slimmed down to under 225, he could stick as a wideout. But as it stands, he'll need to bulk up by another 10-15 pounds to be a capable tight end. ACL tear ended his 2007 season prematurely.

NFL Forecast: He has potential as an H-back, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a great inline blocker. But because of his potential in the passing game, that's not as big an issue as it is with most prospects. He's not a great receiver, but good and in the right offense could be a nice 30-40 catch guy. As a receiver, he's a raw project, but I think he could stick as a reserve in the Brian finneran mold. Or probably closer to Marc Boerigter who had a promising start in his NFL career before injuries significantly derailed them. He won't be special as a receiver, but could be a factor as a fourth wideout and in the redzone. But it's probably a safer bet to stick at tight end. I think he can become a starter because of his ability as a receiver.

ATL Forecast: Sperry has more receiving potential than any of the tight ends on the Falcons roster, so he could be an upgrade there. But his blocking will probably be nothing more than average to above average. That can work here, if he's working in tandem with another player like Peelle or Hartsock. He's a potential upgrade in the passing game, but I don't think he has a really bright future. He's worth develop though.

Value: Sperry's potential as a pass catcher makes him a solid late round pick. I'd target him in the sixth, but he'd be worth a late fifth rounder for some team.

Profile E-mail