All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deon Butler, WR, Penn State
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:35 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Deon Butler
5-10/181 Penn State
4.38 Senior

Pros: Has good hands and speed. Has good body control, adjusting nicely to the ball in the air. Dangerous runner after the catch that is shifty in open field and fights for every yard.

Cons: Lacks size and strength. Not giving you much as a blocker, and still needs some more polish as a route-runner.

Overview: I think he has the best chances of any of the Penn State receivers to have an impact offensively. He's the ideal candidate to work in the slot. Led team in receptions three of his four years, and far more productive than his two teammates, Norwood and Williams. Had 179 catches and 22 scores in four seasons.

NFL Forecast: If Butler can refine his route-running, I think he'll make a solid slot receiver. Doesn't have the size you like on the outside, but can present match-up problems inside. Has good speed, quickness, and natural hands as a receiver. Not sure he'll be a star slot receiver like Wes Welker. But in the right offense, certainly could be the type of guy that catches 40-50 passes. Reminds me a bit more of Dennis Northcutt than Welker and I could see that potential in him. Might be decent enough to be considered a starter, but would be much more effective working in the slot as the third wideout than outside as the second guy.

ATL Forecast: Butler would fit nicely in the slot here in Atlanta, but probably isn't that much better a candidate than Harry Douglas. He certainly doesn't have Douglas's polish as a route-runner coming out of school. If Douglas were to supplant Jenkins on the outside, then Butler's chances of stick here in Atlanta are much higher. But as of now, unless the Falcons plan to use a lot more 4-wide sets, Butler could be lost in the shuffe. If anything, the team would likely try him as a return man, despite not having a ton of experience there.

Value: For a team looking for a playmaking slot receiver, Butler would make a solid fourth round addition.

Profile E-mail