All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jarett Dillard, WR, Rice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:33 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Jarett Dillard
5-11/187 Rice
4.50 Senior

Pros: Has good hands and excellent concentration. Shows good body control and does a nice job on the sideline. Adjusts well to the ball in the air. He's a good athlete and leaper and does a nice job attacking the ball in the air. Has good burst in and out of his breaks and has potential as a route-runner.Shows nice toughness and gives good effort as a downfield blocker. Does well on short and intermediate routes and does a nice job finding soft spots in the zone. Is capable on screens.

Cons: Is not much of a factor after the catch because he lacks speed and power. Lacks burner speed and won't run past defenders or stretch defenses.Lacks size and will have trouble beating jam. Tends to do too much dancing on screen passes. Not sure he has the ideal burst to get separation off hisquickness alone

Overview: Dillard is a natural receiver that is more polished than most of his peers. But he lacks ideal size and speed. Seems like he'll fit very nicely in the slot, but may have some troubles when lined up on the outside. A very productive receiver, but probably benefited quite a bit from playing in a spread offense. Had 60 career touchdowns as a four- year starter. Has a sister, Tai, that is a guard in the WNBA.

NFL Forecast: The player he reminds me of is Jerry Rice. That may just my mind playing tricks on me because of the school he goes to. I'm not going to predict that he becomes a Hall of Fame receiver, but he's one of those players that has the skill set to beat the odds despite having subpar size and speed. If he continues to improve as a route runner, he has all the skill set needed to be a capable possession target for some team. I think he fits well in the slot, but wouldn't be surprised if he can be productive on the outside. I think he can become a solid starter, although not sure he'll be a playmaker. But a set of reliable hands that you want to go to on third down.

ATL Forecast: Dillard is a natural receiver and while he does not project as a playmaker at the next level, would definitely give Matt Ryan another set of hands to throw to. He's in a similar vein as Harry Douglas, but probably a little better than Douglas was coming out of school. Needs a bit of polish, but is a solid player. However, he doesn't present the ideal playmaking skill set that the Falcons are probably looking for on the outside. But could certainly push Douglas as the team's slot receiver.

Value: Dillard is a solid third round pick for a team looking for a reliable set of hands to play the slot.

Profile E-mail