All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brandon Gibson, WR, Washington State
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:33 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Brandon Gibson
6-0/206 Washington State
4.58 Senior

Pros: Has strong, soft hands. Does a good job securing ball before turning upfield. IS capable after the catch because of good speed and quickness. Has good body control, extending for ball, and can make the catch on the sideline. Is good on screens and reverses. Shows potential as a blocker, locking onto defender.

Cons: Needs to polish up his route running skills. Not a burner and probably not a threat to consistently stretch the field. needs to improve as a route runner.

Overview: He's a guy that doesn't really excel anywhere, but is a nice all-around option. He was held back by a horrible team. Used a lot on short routes, probably because of fear that offensive line couldn't protect QB long enough to make a big play. WSU quarterbacks combined for only 6 passing touchdowns and 21 INTs this past year and were sacked 42 times.

NFL Forecast: Gibson has the potential to be a solid No. 2 receiver. Not sure he can be a No. 1, but considering his supporting cast, this past year wasn't a really good litmus test. Has potential, but needs to be more polished, particularly as a route runner. Like most, he's probably a guy that won't have a major impact until his third year. But by then, I think he could be a nice 60-70 catch receiver. Ideally, he would be a nice complement to another guy, but if he was a team's top option, I don't think they would be that bad off. Think of him as as quicker version of Marty Booker.

ATL Forecast: Gibson could be a decent option as a potential upgrade on the outside over Jenkins. Probably is not ideal fit as a slot receiver, so I'm not sure how much he could contribute off the bench. But should at least be decent to catch 20-30 balls as a reserve as he's developed. And by his third year, if Jenkins's skills have diminished, he could be ready to step in and replace him. But not a sure thing, and may never get beyond being a 30-catch guy if he doesn't polish up his skills.

Value: He wouldn't be a reach as a late second round pick, but I'd probably try and target him in the third round.

Profile E-mail