Tiquan Underwood, WR, Rutgers

Scouting Reports of wide receivers in the 2009 NFL draft.
Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Tiquan Underwood, WR, Rutgers

Postby Pudge » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:27 am

Tiquan Underwood
6-2/178 Rutgers
4.36 Senior
Pros: Has good speed and quickness. Has nice hands. Has vertical potential as a receiver with nice burst. Does a nice job after the catch. Shows good ability as a gunner on special teams.

Cons: Needs to polish up his route running as he tips the route by his release off the line. Lacking as a blocker and doesn't have much size. Dances too much as a runner after the catch. Body catches too often.

Overview: Underwood is a nice second option in Rutgers' offense that provides some big plays. Production dipped as a senior, but mainly because of the emergence of Britt.

NFL Forecast: He'll need to get stronger, as he's built very thin. He reminds me of Nate Washington in terms of his pro potential. Probably not going to be a starter, but can provide an occasional spark offensively off the bench as a third option. He needs some more polish and is probably going to take a year or two before he can really start to impact. But shows good ability on special teams, so I'm not concerned about his ability to make a roster. Does have some starter's potential, but that would involve him becoming a really good route runner and getting much stronger. Even then, I don't see him as anything more than a below average starter and No. 2 receiver. He could start, but wouldn't be anything more than 40-50 catch guy in that role.

ATL Forecast: Underwood could provide depth here in Atlanta and would be a nice fourth option in the offense. He has the potential to play both inside and outside. HIs ability on special teams could make him a valuable reserve and would do nicely without the pressure of being an every down starter or working as the first option off the bench.

Value: Underwood would be a solid fifth round pick for some team, although him sneaking into the latter part of Round Four wouldn't be a stretch.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “Wide Receivers”