It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons take Clemson's CB Tye Hill in Round 1?....
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:29 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I just completed a mock draft today that I may or may not get put up on The Huddle Report that had the Falcons taking Clemson CB Tye Hill at #28 in the draft (based on Week 7 standings).

Just some notable selections in this mock draft I worked on:

1. HOU - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT
2. MIN - Reggie Bush, RB
3. GB - Mario Williams, DE
4. ARI - Matt Leinart, QB
5. SF - Jimmy Williams, CB
6. OAK - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE
8. DET - Eric Winston, OT
11. NYJ - Jonathan Scott, OT
12. CLE - DeAngelo Williams, RB
14. BAL - Tamba Hali, DE
19. SD - LaRon Landry, S
21. PHI - Laurence Maroney, RB
23. DEN (from WAS) - Daryl Tapp, DE
24. SEA - Jesse Mahelona, DT
29. DEN - Davin Joseph, OG
30. CIN - Rodrique Wright, DT
32. IND - Claude Wroten, DT

People's thoughts on Hill. He's small (5-9/180) but is supposedly super fast. I know people would rather see us pick up a corner with size, but I'm in the camp that as long as he can cover, it doesn't matter what size he is. It's not like we're in a division filled with huge wideouts. Our division is high on speed (Stallworth, Steve Smith, Galloway, Devery Henderson, Colbert, etc.) not size like say the NFC North. Hill is fiesty for his size.

People's thoughts on taking a corner like Hill or my mock in general?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Don;t know alot about Hill but if he covers we need him
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:17 am 

I have to agree any corner that can cover is who I would take.I will need to read up on Hill .Antonio Winfield is not a big guy but s one of the best corners in the league.Corners are so hard to get you have to draft them high.Other thoughts I think Deangelo Williams does go to cleveland they need someone who can be a great back.Seeing Darryl Tapp going to Denver makes me wonder if he would slide a few spots or if the falcon's move up would he be better choice than hill? I haven't seen enoough of Maroney but him going to Philly would make them a very very dangerous team with there passing game.

Here is a thought for you Pudge I have read the QB Stanton of Michigan State some scouts are saying he could be right up there with Leinhart as the 1st QB taken.He is extremly accurate and can throw the ball and intelligent from what I have heard.What about Schaub any chance he could net the falcon's a top 2nd rounder of 1st? I still think he needs to prove himself more and I know you think guys like Schaub would not net the falcon's 1st or 2nd rounder case in point AJ Feeley went for a 3rd rounder to miami.Have you changed your opinion?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:13 am 
Veteran
Veteran

What round did Blackmon go Pudge? Did Darnell Bing go in the first?
I kinda like Hester better than Hill although he is raw. Hester's physical talents will be hard to beat. The question about him is can he be coached into becoming a more polished corner. He is a threat to score any time he touches the football.

Also, is Ko Simpson eligible to come out in '06?? I'm getting conflicting reports about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:32 pm 

Simpson I think might be eligible. The conflict might come from the fact that he didn't enroll at SC until the spring semester, so he is basically a sophomore and a half right now. But since that is the case, I believe he will meet the requirements of being 3 years removed from his graduating class come this January when he is allowed to submit to the NFL.

I didn't have either Blackmon, Bing, or Hester getting picked because the latter two are juniors, and I didn't want to put too many juniors in it because we don' tknow who is going to come out yet. On average over the past few drafts, about 10 juniors go in Round 1. In my mock, I had only 7 picked. And I picked the 7 that I thought were the most likely to come out:

RB Reggie Bush, DE Mario Williams, ILB Ahmad Brooks, DT Haloti Ngata, WR Santonio Holmes, S LaRon Landry, and RB Laurence Maroney. All except for Maroney are arguably the best players at their positions, which I think is going to be a good enough indicator for them to come out early.

As for Schaub getting traded, I still don't see it as a strong possibility. Feeley got nibbles because of that 5-game streak he had in 2002 in which he went 4-1. Unless Vick goes down for a longer period of time, and Schaub gets 2 or more starts the rest of the season, I don't see a lot of teams giving up that high a pick on someone that they really only have 4 games worth of tape on. If Schaub was put on the block right now, a team would only be able to judge him based on how improvement he showed from last year's Seahawk game to this year's Viking game, and the Viking game to the Patriots game. And that's really it.

Who do you think you can give a better evaluation to? A college QB that you have 15, 20, or 30 games worth of tape on, or Schaub based off 4 games?

And it's one of the reasons why the Dolphins got bit by Feeley, and the Bills got bit by Rob Johnson. They basically looked hard at 1 or 2 games, liked what they saw, and then assumed that they could perform at that level for 16 games.

I think in order to really judge what we can get for Schaub, you have to look at it objectively, basically from the perspective of another team.

IMO, all NFL teams can do when they try and evaluate Schaub is to come away thinking, "Yes, he's a good backup, but is he starter material?" I look at Gus Frerotte and Tim Rattay. Two good examples of players that have performed well when they are the backup and come off the bench to be the short-term starter. But both haven't quite lived up to expectations when asked to be the starter from Day One. Is Schaub one of those guys? Maybe, maybe not.

The truth of the matter is that there is only maybe 20-25 QBs that have the mental toughness to be a successful starting NFL QB. And you have to ask yourself, what have you seen from Schaub that makes you think he is in that group? Me personally, I want to see a little more. And I have the feeling that a lot of NFL Gms and coaches want to see a little more too.

So, at best I think Schaub might garner a 3rd round pick. But more than likely, a team will only give up a conditional 6th or 7th rounder for him at this point.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:50 pm 
Starter
Starter

After next year Schaub will be a RFA and we will most likely put a 1st rd tender on him. That will be our best chance of getting something for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:19 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Do you know much about Ngata Pudge? I was interested in him for a big time run stuffer, but if we picked corners in the first two rounds I wouldn't complain. I am definitely big on speed if we do pickup corners, so if this guy is as fast as you say I would be cool with that.