It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reggie Bush head and shoulderabove the other running backs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:23 pm 

After watching Bush run against Notre Dame I have to say Bush is head and shoulders above the other running backs coming out.I know USC has a great off line but Bush alot of times makes his own breaks by making cuts on the field,outruns the defense and if there is a shed of light he could go all the way every time he gets the ball.The announcers were comparing him to Marshall Faulk which I guess is as good as a player I can think of.I don't think Bush makes it out of the top 5 picks and for some reason I am thinking Minnesota vikings take him even though they need defense bad.You just don't pass on a game breaker.

I saw some of Maroney and wasn't that impressed.Now before I get bashed I didn't see the whole game but maybe I need to take a little more at him.He has good size but also look at how many times he can carry the ball.He carries alot which may be a reason he racks up so many yards.

I haven't seen Deangelo Williams play this year but watching him in last year's bowl game makes me feel he is second in the running back list back of bush.

At this point I am not sure if Dunn gets cut.He means alot to the falcon offense and if you are not williams or bush I am not sure the other running backs can step in and dominate like Dunnn does.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:58 pm 
Starter
Starter

LenDale White will make the better pro back. Bush will equal an overhyped version of Brain Westbrook. I am not a fan of these "total" yard backs because I would be worried for my team if its 3rd down and two and I have to pass to have a chance at picking it up. Just my personal opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:37 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I am very impressed with what Bush has done, but I like Born2Booze here, question his ability to run between the tackels...I can see him being a Westbrook type back but not an every down RB.....it will be interesting to see how he turns out though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:28 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Williams and Maroney are truly the best RB prospects IMO. They have good size and quickness to be featured backs at the NFL level. White is also a great back who would be good in the NFL, but I don't want him if I'm coming from the Falcons' camp. Unless we plan on dumping Duckett and Dunn next season, I don't see us selecting White. I'd much rather see if Calhoun from WIS comes out or go after Jerome Harrison of WASH ST. Both have been prolific runners against some good competition (Calhoun particularly). Calhoun is my pick based on his performance so far this season. He is the focal point of the WIS offense because he does everything. Against Northwestern 2 weeks ago, he ran for 122 yds and caught 11 passes for 128.

Let's say that White is available at our pick and is the best available player as McKay likes to select by. We could go through next season (or two) with two hefties at RB with Duckett and White, and in the following year's draft (07 or 08) we draft Thomas Brown from UGA. I think he is the ideal RB for our system and could be the next Dunn. Whether it Brown, Drew, or Booker from FSU, I wonder if they really want that type of guy at RB. Dunn is truly special and will be very hard to replace. We might just have to select the best RBs we can and adjust our running attack in order to work within their abilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

We have so many unanswered questions at RB. It all is probably going to boil down to what the Falcons do with Dunn. I believe the Falcons will try hard to retain Dunn, but at his current salary there is no way that his contract is not addressed. Dunn's contract is through the 2007 season, and an easier said than done thing would probably be to simply redo it, extending it to 2010 or so so that he can finish his career in Atlanta. I suspect we can get 2-3 more years out of him as our leading rusher, which isn't bad considering his age.

I just don't see Duckett being a long-time solution. I think if the Falcons get a decent offer for him (3rd or 4th rounder), then they should trade him. I'm not too sure how many teams out there would part ways with a draft pick to get him now, but I'd definitely shop him.

Then that will determine what we do in the draft. I think it'll be easier for this team to find a situational power-runner. With Dunn retained, we won't have to use a pick in the first day on a RB.

I do agree that I think Bush is a bit overhyped, but I think he'll be a good NFL player. Westbrook is very good player and is 2nd only to Dunn in terms of "scatback" type runners. He's underused in Philly and injury prone (if he was here in Atlanta, he would definitely be just as successful as Dunn). Bush doesn't quite look like he's a feature runner, but the truth of the matter is that Dunn didn't really start to look like one until a few years into his career.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:22 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Barring the Texans picking first & grabbing Ferguson, Bush should be the first pick of next year's draft. He is very comparable to Ladanian Tomlinson.

Post subject: Peter King compared Bush to Gale Sayers!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:39 pm 

That is has high a compliment as you can get!

Profile E-mail