It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Make your pick!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:13 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Yes, your right. It's way too early. Kids are going to climb and fall. But maybe, just maybe, we can get a decent idea of who we might take with our first selection of '06.

We all watch the games and know our strengts and weaknesses.

So let's procede.....

The following players may not be selected as I am trying to make this as realistic as possible at this time:
OT Ferguson
OT Winston
OT McNeil
RB Bush
RB D. Williams
RB Maroney
DE Kiwanuka
DE M.Williams
CB J. Williams

Please be as realistic as possible. For example please don't say, well since you didn't list him I will select Matt Leinart. You get the idea. Oh, please try not to reach for a player.

Please feel free to select multiple players you think might be available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:01 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Realistically, I'd go for either Jason Allen or Darnell Bing depending on their healthy issues. Allen seems to me he'd be a great CB in our defense because of his physical style and good coverage abilities. He could also work well at safety should he not be able to hack it at CB. Bing reminds me of Sean Taylor except with regular injury problems. I think if he could make it through his senior season without any major problems, he will prove his value and be well worth a 1st round pick. I chose these guys because I feel that our secondary isn't looking very strong. We have a DL that gets good pressure on the QB, and they might be able to add a strong DE in FA to sure them up even more. We have great LBs (when healthy) and are very young at the position. The area of greatest concern for me has been the DBs. Hall is great but still inexperienced. Scott hasn't panned out yet. Webster has been pretty much a bust signing. And Keon is ok at best when healthy. I'd say Bing would be my first choice, but if he isn't there go for Allen. Later, we might be able to get a guy like Blue from UGA to be the physical force in the secondary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:44 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

The kid Ross from FSU...he's a big physical corner something like 6'2 I tihnk....I don't know a ton about him but the two FSU games I've watched so far this year he's looked pretty darn good...

Post subject: How about Blcakmon from Boston College
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:06 pm 

Will Blackmon is a receiver/corner who plays for boston college.I think conrer is where he will be in the NFL.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:50 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I think Blackmon would be an excellent choice if he is available. I almost decided to add him to the list but I wanted to leave a lot of options at the defensive back position. My feelings are he will be off the board but ya never really know.

Allen is interesting if healthy. What scares me about him is I don't want another Bryan Scott.

I have been thinking we might take an O-Lineman but our line has played surprisingly well and we know Gibbs' philosophy about taking lineman high.

I really feel that it will be a defensive back, at least for now. Cash will be back next season giving us a good nickel and Webster isn't a bad corner when healthy if given safety support. I don't like seeing him on an island however.

I haven't seen anything out of our safties as of this post. Hopefully Keion and Bryan will improve but I'm not going to hold my breath. I definately believe we should address this position with multiple players including both the draft and free agency.

I think this easily could be the last year for Brady Smith as a Falcon. I just don't see a defensive end available in the draft worth taking with our #1. I do kinda like Tapp later however.

My thinking is Landry, Bing or Hester. We might be able to trade down for either Bing or Hester. The reason I say Hester is he very well may be the most talented, albeit raw, corner available plus he has excellent return skills.

Blue could be a possibility later in the draft as well as we definately need to be more physical in our secondary imo.

Post subject: Jammi German I hope not
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:17 am 

The thing about some very raw athetes trying to learn a position is they never do learn it and never develop the skills needed to do well.I remember Jammi German of miami he was super fast coming out of high school was derailed by injuries and drafted by the falcon's thinking they could do soemthing with an athlete that had hopefully overcome injuries but more importantly supposeily had skillls to do well at the NFL level.He basicially never developed and was a bust.I don't want that to be Hester so I am leery of him unless he is decent already at corner.I know he is great at kickoff returns and punt returns if memory serves me right.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:44 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Cornerbacks

By Richard Cirminiello
Like a hockey goalie or a closer in baseball, the defensive back is the last line of defense. And with that monumental responsibility comes high risk and high reward. While the best can become the toast of the town, get burned too often, and, well, you’re just plain toast. As the NFL Draft bears out, if you can cover like a double-digit home dog, pro teams will gladly back up the Brinks truck to your dorm room. Over the past decade, 41 cornerbacks have been plucked out of the first round, compared to only a dozen safeties, a trend that’ll prevail as long as receivers keep getting bigger and faster and the forward pass remains a popular mode of offensive transportation.

1. Jimmy Williams, Virginia Tech – Cornerbacks like Williams come around as often as comets, which is why he might be the first defensive player drafted next April. He’s a fleet-footed, 6-2, 215-pound hybrid, who had 114 tackles as a free safety in 2003 and five picks and 14 breakups as a corner in 2004. He’s got the skill set and athletic instincts to play either position, which further increases his marketability. Williams can disrupt an opposing offense in so many ways, it’s hard to imagine him not having an immediate impact in the NFL.
Shades of…Bobby Taylor

2. Alan Zemaitis, Penn State – At 6-2 and 200 pounds, Zemaitis has unusual size for a corner, yet sacrifices nothing in the areas of speed, quickness and reaction time. He loves to intimidate receivers and can be valuable in run support. One of this year’s team captains, Zemaitis is a quick learn and a ball hawk, whose numbers dipped last year because of the respect he was getting from opposing Big Ten quarterbacks.
Shades of…Nate Clements

3. Ashton Youboty, Ohio State (Jr.) – Fresh off a breakthrough sophomore year in Columbus, Youboty is primed to become one of the country’s top-tier cover corners. He’s a fluid, 6-2 and 185-pound athlete, who has exceptional recovery speed and appears effortless on film going stride-for-stride with his receiver. Youboty would benefit from more time in the weight room, but his slender frame hasn’t caused him to get pushed around by bigger receivers.
Shades of…Chris McAlister

4. Will Blackmon, Boston College – Blackmon’s taking his snaps at wide receiver this year, but that’s not where he’ll earn his paycheck in the NFL. He’s a premier corner, who just happens to be unselfish and versatile enough to help one of the Eagles’ thinnest units. Blackmon has a favorable blend of size and speed, covers well and has shown a knack for making the big play on defense and special teams. He’s the type of player that looks good in practice, but even better on film.
Shades of…Champ Bailey

5. Tye Hill, Clemson – Hill came to Clemson as a running back and will leave at the end of this year a heralded defensive back. He’s a little undersized at 5-10 and 180 pounds, but literally has track speed and an explosive burst to the ball that helped him break up a school-record 21 passes in 2004. Hill is still learning the little details about his adopted position, however, if he develops as much in the next two years as he has in the last two, he’ll be an NFL star before he’s 25.
Shades of…Ricardo Colclough

6. Kelly Jennings, Miami – This time next year, you’ll be able to add Jennings’ name to the growing list of Miami defensive backs on NFL rosters. While not all that big or physical, he’s got top speed and the ability to blanket a receiver in man coverage that appeals to pro scouts and coaches. Jennings is also a strong character student-athlete, whose keen intellect has helped him in the classroom and when reading offenses on the field.
Shades of…Aaron Glenn

7. Devin Hester, Miami (Jr.) – No doubt Hester is a work in progress at corner, but when you possess his athletic ability and world class wheels, all 32 NFL teams will be willing to be patient and offer some on-the-job training. His acceleration and quickness reaching top gear is unmatched, which explains why the ‘Canes concoct ways to get the ball in his hands. Hester is one of the nation’s most lethal return men, and with more work on defense, capable of being a terrific defensive back as well.
Shades of…Chris Gamble

8. Charles Gordon, Kansas (Jr.) – Only a truly special athlete can lead a program in receiving and interceptions in consecutive seasons. Gordon is special, although that’s still a pretty well-kept secret. He caught 57 passes as a freshman and 22 more last year, 15 from Jayhawk passers and seven from opposing quarterbacks. At 5-10 and 180 pounds, Gordon struggles when engaged by a blocker, but is rapidly developing into a lockdown corner, who can also break open games on special teams.
Shades of…Deion Sanders

9. Anwar Phillips, Penn State – A one-time receiver with the Lions, Phillips has blossomed into a shutdown corner with ample room for growth as he learns the position better. Last year, he was the target of opposing quarterbacks, who quickly realized he was just as tough to pass on as teammate Alan Zemaitis. Phillips has good hands, anticipates well and makes a swift break on the ball. He was charged, and later acquitted, with sexual assault two years ago in a well-publicized case that’ll become topical to NFL teams again early next year. Shades of…Brian Kelly

10. DeMario Minter, Georgia – Minter used 2004, his first season as a starter, to propel himself out of the legions of the unknown and firmly on to scouts’ radar. In fact, he heads into the 2005 season considered a Top 5 corner by NFL scouting consortiums, BLESTO and National Scouting. Like all the Dawg DBs, Minter can really motor, and at 5-11 and 200 pounds, is able to get physical in pass coverage and run support. The senior is still a mild sleeper, but has a chance to change that with another productive season.
Shades of…Dunta Robinson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:51 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Safeties

By Richard Cirminiello

1. Jason Allen, Tennessee – Don’t ever try to type cast Allen, who’s big and thick enough to excel at free safety, yet moves to corner this fall and has the speed and cover skills to stay there on Sundays. He quickly reads and reacts to the play and loves to hit, as evidenced by his SEC-best 123 tackles in 2004. Allen is already a complete player with NFL size and the respect of his teammates, who named him captain as a junior. Plenty can change in six months, but he looks like a safe bet for the first round.
Shades of…Brian Dawkins

2. Darnell Bing, USC (Jr.) – A classic enforcer, Bing would likely be the first or second safety selected if the draft was held today. He’s got linebacker size, and uses every inch and pound of his 6-2, 220-pound frame to punish receivers and ballcarriers. Bing attacks the line of scrimmage with tenacity, yet has nice range in pass coverage, a testament to his all-around athleticism. He’s starting to earn the injury prone label, so an incident-free season in 2005 would quell questions about his durability.
Shades of…Donovin Darius

3. LaRon Landry, LSU (Jr.) – If Landry wore a cap and spikes to Tiger Stadium, he’d be Andruw Jones, a power hitting centerfielder with plenty of range. Long and lean, he moves and resembles a greyhound, but is deceptively good at separating the receiver from the ball. Although he can stand to add a few pounds of mass, Landry is a unique, multi-purpose defensive back, who’ll flirt with the first round of the draft whenever he makes himself eligible.
Shades of… Darren Sharper

4. Pat Watkins, Florida State – Rated as the second best senior free safety by both BLESTO and National Scouting, Watkins is a rangy, 6-4 defender with good balls skills and 4.5 speed. Those expecting a breakout campaign in 2004 weren’t disappointed as he used his long stride and even longer wingspan to disrupt opposing pass attacks and bat down would-be completions. As gifted as Watkins is, he’s getting seriously pushed this summer by sophomore Roger Williams, a name to tuck away for next season.
Shades of…Stuart Schweigert

5. Michael Huff, Texas – Huff has the size of a strong safety and the cover skills of a corner, a combination that only the best defensive backs can boast. He’s played just about everywhere for the ‘Horns and contributes on special teams, both of which will sell well to NFL types that crave versatility. Huff won’t run the fastest 40 at the combine, but he has good football speed and sharp instincts as a defender.
Shades of…Corey Chavous

6. Greg Blue, Georgia – Blue was a riser before the spring, but then ripped off a 4.37 in the 40 in May to really get scouts gushing. That from a kid who’s a chiseled and powerful 6-2 and 215 pounds. Blue is like having a fourth linebacker on running plays, who’ll set the bar at strong safety with his measurables, but unless he makes strides as a pass defender, many teams will label him a solid, yet one-dimensional defensive back.
Shades of…Brodney Pool

7. Roman Harper, Alabama – On a Tide defense jammed with future NFL players, Harper’s name might be the first one called next April. He’s a polished, technically sound third-year starter, who’s paced the Tide secondary in tackles in each of the last two seasons. At 6-1 and 190 pounds, Harper has room to add weight and muscle, and become an ideal-sized pro free safety.
Shades of…Vincent Fuller

8. Bernard Pollard, Purdue (Jr.) – At 6-2 and 225 pounds, the cocky and outspoken Pollard is the prototypical headhunter at strong safety. He backs up his chatter with the kinds of licks that make receivers wince, but can also drive a coach to drink by not knowing when to tone down his routine. To elevate himself into the elite category, Pollard must improve when the ball is in the air, and react in coverage more like a DB than a linebacker.
Shades of…Ken Hamlin

9. Ko Simpson, South Carolina (So.) – The SEC’s reigning Freshman of the Year was unnaturally effective for a first-year player. From his free safety spot, he’s a persistent ball hawk with soft hands, who intercepted six passes in 2004 and returned a pair of turnovers for long touchdowns. He makes crisp breaks on the ball in pass coverage, and at 6-1 and 200 pounds, has the bulk and tenacity to live up to his pugilistic first name.
Shades of…Dexter Jackson

10. Darrell Brooks, Arizona – A smooth blend of range and physicality, Brooks is one of the most polished free safeties in the country. He’s got good size and runs well, but it’s those little immeasurables that don’t show up on film, which are going to make scouts smile. Brooks is a perfectionist, who prepares himself for each game and each season as if he’s still an underclassman trying to earn playing time. Shades of…Kim Herring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:11 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I don't know a lot about the safeties on that list, but I have seen Blue play a lot and I do know that he brings the friggin wood....If that 4.3 40 is legit he is a great target....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:04 pm 
Starter
Starter

I was on the Jason Allen bandwagon but drafting him now is scary to me. Having two DB's with hip injuries, yikes. Blue is a 1st-2nd rd tweener at this point and I don't think it would be good for us to draft him in the first but he wont be there in the 2nd. Now I would move to the next position on my draft board and that is... RB. Personally, I think the best back for the NFL is in the USC backfield but not named Bush, it is LenDale White. He is big (6-2 235) and has great explosiveness, reminds me a lot of Duece Staley and Edge but with homerun hitting speed. I think he could fit right in to our system and when your 235lb back is your "change of pace back" that is scary. White is a Jr this year and could leave early and might go overlooked with the big three ahead of him at RB (Williams, Maroney and Bush) another option (could be a reach and also might not be in this draft) could be Maurice Drew of UCLA and for those who haven't seen him play think of Dunn but 20lbs bigger. He has that Barry Sanders type body (and possess some similar skills too) and could be a great NFL back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:47 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I believe our two greatest areas of need for this draft are DB and DL (with RB probably next). If this guy's comparisons are close, this looks to be a very solid DB class (which I hadn't heard from anyone else). I would love to pick up in the 1st and 2nd rounds a CB and S. My choice would be a hard-hitting S who will move Scott back to a coverage S and let Keon go. Bing, Huff, or Blue would be ideal. At CB, I really like Zemaitis, Youboty, and Minter. If things fall just right, I'd love to get Zemaitis and Blue. Zemaitis is a solid, sizable CB who has the physical tools to hang with the best WRs out there. I think he'd be a great #3 or #4 CB next year, and then he could take over for Webster when his contract is up or they cut him. IMO, Blue is the best safety we could ask for. I wanted Thomas Davis last season for the same reasons I want Blue: extremely fast, ballhawk who has got serious game! Blue has the size that the Falcons could even use him as a LB in Nickel or Dime packages. If he isn't a liability in coverage, which I don't think he will be, I would love to see him start for us as soon as possible. If we have him right now, we wouldn't be having the same problems with our run defense.

What would be a real gift is if both these guys fall to our 2nd and 3rd picks, and we get a chance to take a solid DL with our 1st pick (or some combination of the 3 picks). Our recent troubles with our run defense leads me to believe we should seriously consider taking a bigger DT who can clog things up more. Ngata would be a dream come true because he packs so much punch in that already huge body. Wright would be my next option as he's bigger with very nice resume. Doubt they make to when we pick, but how sweet would it be if they did!? DE seems to be in shorter supply this draft. Tapp does look good but who knows where he'll be taken. I still think our best bet is to sign a FA to fill in for Brady.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:30 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Harper made an enormous play in Bama's biggest game of the year Saturday. With the game tied 3-3 late in the 4th quarter, Tennessee threw a little Fullback screen on the Bama 15. The FB made a great cut & was on his way to the TD when out of nowhere this guy flashes into the screen & blows up the FB, causing him to fumble the ball into & out of the endzone. The player? Harper.

I still have my eyes on Ko Simpson though. Being that he is a true Soph I am not sure he will come out this year, but if he does I would do anything & everything to pick him up. The guy is the best DB around the ball that I have seen in years....he is more like shades of Rod Woodon when he played for the Ravens (10 Ints one year IIRC).

Seriously, if we could somehow pull both of these guys our safety play would be on a whole new level.

Post subject: Yup
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:51 am 
I couldnt agree more, but nevertheless it sounds a bit fishy...