It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My draft plan so far (1st 3 rounds)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:16 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

OK, after doing some very early studying of current mocks and profiles, I would like to see what you guys think about my first 3 picks in 2006. It's all speculation because we can't know if these players will be available for the picking. However, I believe we could see that these players have a better chance of being there for us than perhaps some of the more highly sought after types.

#1 - Laurence Maroney RB MIN - 5-11 205
This guy has the tools to be a great RB in our system. How do I know? Well, he happens to already run in a similar zone blocking scheme to our own. He has the athleticism and size to carry this rushing attack into the future. He also works well along side another RB as he shared duties with Marion Barber III his first two seasons at MIN. He would bring a different dynamic than Dunn does, but he would still be a compliment to Duckett. Seeing that Dunn has a huge cap hit next season, we will have to look at our options for filling in for him, and Maroney is a great option should we get the chance to take him.

#2 - Mark Setterstrom OG MIN - 6-4 295
Setterstrom, also from MIN, is one of the main reasons for Maroney's success. He too already knows the zone blocking system and would need little time to fit right into the ATL OL. He has a great track record of stellar work the past 3 years as an All-American, so he's a stud compared to the guys we've been using along the OL. There aren't too many teams who use the zone blocking scheme, so there will be less competition for him which bodes well for us getting him. I like the idea of bringing him in at LG, moving Lehr to his natural position at C, and letting McClure go. That OL has more potential and size than the current one and could maintain our tenure as the best rushing offense in the NFL.

#3 - Will Blackmon CB/WR BC - 6-1 200
My reasoning for this pick is Blackmon is a jack of all trades. He has amazing athleticism and has had experience playing multiple positions: CB, WR, and KR/PR. He's extremely dangerous with the ball in his hands as he has taken several returns to the house. First, he would provide an inexpensive replacement for Rossum some day. I would like to see him work mainly as a 3rd or 4th CB and occasionally come in as a WR too while covering the KR duties too. With his size and talent, he very well could help us in those 3 areas. He would provide a lot of flexibility for Mora and company to make roster decisions.

Well, I would like to know what you guys think about these picks. I feel that we still need a DE to backup/replace Brady Smith, but we might have better luck getting someone via FA. Same thing goes for getting help at safety. I think with these picks we'd add some very valuable pieces to keep this engine running and possibly rev it up a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:29 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

A lot of Big 10 schools use zone blocking: Iowa, Penn Stae, and Wisconsin. Big 12 schools like Oklahoma, Iowa State, and Texas also use it, along with Oregon State. Which is a good thing for hte Falcons, because those teams have some solid O-linemen that are seniors this year:

Wisconsin's OC Donovan Raiola
Texas OT Jonathan Scott and OG Will Allen
Oklahoma's OG/OT Davin Joseph
and Minnesota's OG Mark Setterstrom and OC Greg Eslinger are considered by most draft experts to be 1st day draft picks or at the tops of their positions.

I don't think the Falcons could go wrong with any of these selections. Scott and Joseph in particular are seen as 1st round picks. Scott I think would be a good pick for us at LT. Joseph played guard before, but is playing LT this year. He would offer versatility to play either inside or outside on the left side for us. Allen is another option. Here's a way-too-early 7 round mock for the Falcons:

#1 - OT Jonathan Scott, Texas

It's time the Falcons focused on their offensive line, and I think that begins with Jonathan Scott. He's a quality LT that has protected a mobile QB like Vince Young's blindside for years. Now he'll get to block Vick's favored side with us. Texas too employs a zone blocking scheme. Scott is athletic, strong, mobile, and smart and said to be a good locker room presence. All the things Gibbs, McKay, and Mora want in a player.

#2 - CB DeMario Minter, Georgia

Rising up boards, Minter is the local guy that has the ideal size (5-11/195), strength, and speed to be an effective cornerback in our defense.

#3 - RB Lorenzo Booker, Florida State

Undersized, but I think our front office and coaching staff are going to see him as a Warrick Dunn clone.

#4 - OG Mark Setterstrom, Minnesota

This is a move as the Falcons revamp the left side of their offensive line. Considered one of the best run blocking guards in the country, he would be a great fit here. I've seen a lot of draft sites putting him as a third/fourth round prospect.

#5 - DE James Wyche, Syracuse

Has good frame (6-6/265) and speed to be a pass rusher. I think the Falcons are looking for a RDE with size to play the run and speed. Wyche has that type of potential and could become a solid duo with Chauncey Davis years down the road.

#6 - S Anthony Smith, Syracuse

I've seen some sites have him as high as the 3rd round, so I'm not sure if he'll be available this late. He's a free safety that likes to hit and is a wonder on special teams, I think he could be converted to SS, since those positions are pretty interchangeable in our defense (in fact our SS is more like most team's FS).

#7 - TE Erik Gill, Pittsburgh

Has good size, hands, and speed. Is used as an in-line blocker and H-back, so he makes a good prospect as a backup TE behind Crumpler. I would liken him to a Brian Kozlowski-type, but with greater potential as a blocker.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:18 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I had forgot all about Booker, he would could be someone to look at....Minter is a good cb, I've got to see him play some and though he hasn't "wowed" me he looks very solid...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:50 pm 
Starter
Starter

Very unimpressed with Minter, he would be a horrible pick in the 2nd rd. Not fast and has poor hands, really at best I see him being a Kevin Mathis journey man type CB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:19 am 

I haven't seen much of Minter, but I've read some good things.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:50 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Quote:
A lot of Big 10 schools use zone blocking: Iowa, Penn Stae, and Wisconsin. Big 12 schools like Oklahoma, Iowa State, and Texas also use it, along with Oregon State.

This IS a good thing! I wouldn't mind getting Calhoun from Wisconsin either. Peterson from OKL is the real deal too, but won't be coming out for another year. I don't know as much about what schemes are being used in the college ranks, so I appreciate the expanded option that we could pull from for consideration.

Quote:
#3 - RB Lorenzo Booker, Florida State

Undersized, but I think our front office and coaching staff are going to see him as a Warrick Dunn clone.

Does Booker already run in a zone blocking system? Not that that is a necessity, but I feel that the difference between him and Maroney is the major separation in production. Getting a RB, should he be available, who already is having a ton of success in this system is going to be a better option to me than a OT with the 1st pick.

I still like Blackmon over Minter as he could contribute in more areas and with greater effectiveness. I would say if Maroney isn't available at our 1st pick we should go with a good DE. Scott certainly sounds like the type we'd be looking for, but do you really think they will take an OL with a 1st round pick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:04 pm 

I think it's a possibility. Shaffer is a UFA after this year, and based on his play so far, I think he's earned a new contract. Now, I don't think the Falcons will break the bank to keep him, but they should give him a deal.

Although I know Gibbs prefers later round picks, the Broncos did take a few OL very high under his watch. I think considering how this draft is strong in OTs at the top, I think the Falcons could make an exception for Scott. Also considering that in terms of RBs and DEs, most of the talk has the top players being juniors that will probably be picked in the Top 15.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:38 pm 
Starter
Starter

If we look for someone to replace McClure this year a solid option could be Mike Degory of Florida. I am a Gator fan and have seen him play a lot and I think he has potental to turn into a stud C or a McClure esk solid C in the NFL. For those who haven't seen him play I will give you a basic plus/negative rundown of him

Plus
1. Seasoned- By the end of this year he will have started over 50 straight games for the Gators (Gators are also using a Zone scheme this year so he has experience there too).
2. Smart/Leader- Since the day he was put into the starting line up he has completly comanded the Gator line and also along with being the All-SEC C for the last three years for both playing on the field and acadimics.
3. Massive Body- He is 6-6 310lbs and can move.

Negative
1. Not Physical- Despite being as big as he is you never see him light anyone up and just knock him on their ass, he doesn't get pushed around much but I just wonder if Gibbs could instill the "killer instinct" in him.
2. Ability- Yes he has started tons of games and has had several SEC and National awards to his credit but he has never played on a Florida line that is dominant. He is considered to be our best so it makes you wonder if he is really that good or if he just plays with people who are that bad.
3. Not Vocal- Rarely have I seen him get up and get in someones face about misblocks or do anything like that and seems to just let the coaches handle things. In the NFL he must become more vocal to truelly be a leader.

Overal
I think he would be a safe pick for us and I don't believe he will ever be a bad NFL player but I wonder if he will ever be a great one. Worthy of a late 1st or 2nd round pick. He is one of these guys whose draft position will be heavily influenced on what they do at the combine. He he shows up and blows people away he could be the 4th linemen of the board but if he lays an egg he could slip into the early second day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:03 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I have a feeling that Mora/Gibbs/Jags (OL coach) will keep the current unit together if possible. They will continue to bring in talent to groom behind them. I really think there are enough solid OLs out there who have experience in the zone blocking scheme that we will be able to find some gems. I'd love to see them let some the older, backups go like Stokes and Herndon in favor of some younger talent that could eventually start for us. Setterstrom at G is a priority in my book. Eslinger at C and/or perhaps Scott at T as well would be a huge step towards insuring that our OL will be stout for years to come. We could seriously consider replacing McClure and Weiner with these guys immediately if necessary. I hope they at least shoot for Setterstrom so that they could move Lehr to C. Scott is a bit of a chance, but would be an excellent replacement for Weiner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:42 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah I don't think our line is going to change much for the next few years, although it would be nice to pickup Scott. Maroney would be nice but I don't think he makes it out of the top 10. The Center from Florida has great size & is well known to us Georgia folks. I think your observations are spot on about him born2booze, and I will give him some extra attention next Saturday since we're going to get whooped without DJ Shockley.

I like most of your picks Pudge but, as you know, we need a lot of help in our defensive backfield and I think we'll be addressing that in the draft. While Minter has been a solid corner at UGA, I am not sure that someone better wouldn't be available in the second round. Either way I would love for us to draft more guys from our local schools and I think Minter could be a solid corner against the run &, somewhat, against the pass.

I actually had an interesting idea about our first pick though. Maybe we could pick up Hester (CB, KR, PR, UM) & convert him into a Safety. His speed will allow him to play an Ed Reed-like centerfield if he could develop the awareness that is so important back there. Also, if Max Jean-Gilles (OG, UGA) is still on the board when we pick he would be the guy we would have to draft as he is considered to be the top lineman in the NCAA this year other than Ferguson (LT, UVA) from Virginia.

While I think these guys will be gone the one person I do have my eyes on is Ngata (DT, Oregon). As the free agency market for run stuffing DT's may not be as active as the last few years, it may be time to just pick up our own. At 6'5 345lbs, the only thing that could hold this guy back would be a lack of work ethic...and Oregon players seem to not work out too well in the NFL for the most part. That being said, my second pick if all of these guys (Hester, Jean-Gilles, Scott, etc.) are gone & Ngata isn't worth the risk would be Huff (S, Texas):

"SS Michael Huff, Sr. - 73 tackles, 2 interceptions, 14 broken up passes ... One of the Big XII's most talented all-around defensive backs, Huff can play either corner or safety going wherever needed most. He's a better safety than a corner with his size and range, but he has the track star speed to be fine anywhere."

I honestly think we need to find a speedy guy with good hands to play centerfield for us or a very solid corner that can hold up on the outside so we can blitz more. The problem is the top corners this year are big, kind of slowish, guys that will be going in the top 15 most likely. We may be able to swing Jason Allen (CB, Tennessee) as he will be coming off of a dislocated hip similar to what happened to D.Hall his rookie year. This may cause his stock to drop within the draft, but don't count on it.

It's going to be a tough decision and it should be interesting to see who we end up settling on come draft day. We typically draft guys well above their projected value, so don't be surprised to see us pull a second round guy up into the first to assure we get the guy we want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:42 pm 
Starter
Starter

[quote="The_Incomparable"]Yeah I don't think our line is going to change much for the next few years, although it would be nice to pickup Scott. Maroney would be nice but I don't think he makes it out of the top 10. The Center from Florida has great size & is well known to us Georgia folks. I think your observations are spot on about him born2booze, and I will give him some extra attention next Saturday since we're going to get whooped without DJ Shockley. /quote]

I wouldn't count on that, Leak has a bum shoulder too. If he starts sucking then it is to Josh Portis, a Freshman. Yikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:15 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

lol Figures. That's why it is so tough to win the SEC. It is such a physical conference that most of the really good players get hurt. The best player from each of the undefeated teams have been hurt in the past few weeks & it's going to cost both teams before the SEC championship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:32 pm 
Starter
Starter

Yeah but if Portis does play alot he will be very fun to watch. He was a track start in Cali before comiting to Utah last year and then when Meyer left for Florida so did Portis. He is the second leading rushing on our team.

Post subject: New 3 round draft for the falcon's!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:48 pm 

After watching the falcon's get abused again by the packers on defense I decided that defense should be drafted most of the rounds this upcoming draft.

1.Darnell Bing or Michael Huff that is my first round selection.Either could be a pro bowler and one of them will be there for the falcon's at 25. No def end is establishing himself and unless a Eric Winston or Joanthan Scott drops we need a safety badly.
2.Depending on who is availble corner or def tackle - I think Shopshire can do the job but if he can't we need some beef up front.Mckay may want to rethink his quick small def philopshy has it is allowing big teams to run all over us.
3.Def tackle or corner - if a decent one is there take him in way of cornerback.Webster is over paid and could getr cut in a few yrs.We need to groom someone and give us depth since we don't have enough corners now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:22 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Round 1: Ngata, Bing, Huff, Simpson if he comes out early, those big DE's-Williams & the guy from Purdue, Jean-Gilles, any of these would help us out a good bit with probably the DE's or Jean-Gilles helping out the most immediately.

* I would also like to add Moses, the DE from UGA into this list. He is projecting in the late 1st round and has a good frame, excellent motor, and is proven against top competition. He is 6'5, 250lbs, and has good speed and could easily add on some size. After these last couple of losses it is imperative that we pickup a pass rusher.