It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maroney a possibility?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:37 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I've been checking some early mock drafts and most at this point have Laurence Maroney going later in the 1st round. IMO, he is a premier RB as good as any of the RBs that have come out of college the past few years. He might not be a special as a Reggie Bush or as prolific as DeAngelo Williams or have the name of Gerald Riggs Jr. He has been one of the most consistant and dangerous RBs in the college ranks. He knows how to share the load with another good RB as he and Barber gained over 1000 yards each last season. Maroney also would be ideal for our running scheme. He is quick and strong with the ability to break off long runs. He has great vision and can cut quickly to holes as they develop. I believe he could learn our system quickly and instantly be a success in the NFL. Some knock him because he's small, but you can't discount his production. I just wonder how realistic it is for us to have a chance at getting him. One mock draft I saw had us passing him up for a safety, which I don't see happening. If we are successful this season and make the playoffs again, I find it unlikely that we will be able to get him. But we might be able to get him if we fall to the middle of the pack. I wanted to bring this possibility up to you guys to see what you thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:20 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

From what little I've seen of Maroney, I've been impressed. It would be nice if the Falcons could draft one of the top RBs potentially available in Round 1.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:46 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Maroney will be a top 15 pick when the draft comes around.

Book it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:18 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I don't doubt that at all, but there is always that possibility that either he slides for various reasons or we don't have as good a season as we'd like and end up in a position to get him. My hope is that we can make the playoffs and have him slide to us (or within distance of trading up for him).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

are you sure that RB needs to be our first priority. I think that we could easily find a servicable back to play for us in the later rounds. I think we have to many holes to fill (namely, cb,s,de) to worry about a rb in the first. Not to crap all over your guys opinions, I respect them, and I agree that rb will be a need this offseason, but is it our most pressing need? RB are really a dime a dozen, especially in our system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:26 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Steve-O, that's probably why I think we could go with a earlier round RB and not have to go sign someone to a larger contract like where Dunn is at. I think a guy taken no later than the 3rd round could come in and contribute right away for us. Late round RBs are good for special teams prospects IMO, just take Cobb for an example. I agree that we are going to need help at other areas like DE and DB, but I honestly feel more comfortable filling those needs with FAs and having a rookie RB. Save the late round picks for our OL. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:50 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

and all of this is assuming we do not restructure Dunn's deal. I think we will simply because what other team is going to sign him to a big deal. He should see the writing on the wall and take whatever we give him because I am sure it will be more than any other team would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:56 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I agree with Steve, we have more pressing needs then a high draft pick on a HB. Namely a safety. That is my 1st priority for this upcoming draft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:25 am 

I watched a lot of Maroney vs. Purdue yesterday, and came away impressed. He's not the most stellar runner I've ever seen, but he definitely has the skills to develop into a feature back in the NFL. I liked how good he was in space.

Towards the end, he did run a bit more tentatively (but granted he did finish with 46 carries). I think he could be a good fit here in Atlanta because he's used to not being the one guy because Minnesota always has another back that gets a lot of work.

I really think RB should be a high priority next year. We all agree that offense is our biggest weakness and we've missed opportunities in recent years to add help there (Kevin Jones). If our offense is so average, why then would we draft a safety?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:28 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I had the fortune of going to the Texas A&M game in person this Thursday and came away impressed with Courtny Lewis. He is only a jr and probably not a big threat to leave early, but he seems to fit the Atl offensive mold. Some one to keep our eyes on next year in the mid rounds if Dunn sticks it out one more year here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:13 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Safeties are really not as important as RBs and can be had in later rounds. Unless you're getting the next Harrison or Lott, you're not going to use a 1st round pick on them. Perhaps we could get one with a late 1st pick, but I think we could get just as good a contributor with a 2nd or 3rd pick like where we got Scott.

IMO, this is the time to start thinking about a new RB. Both Dunn and Duckett are going to start getting real expensive, and it would make sense to find alternatives regardless of whether we will be keeping either of them. My feeling is they might keep Duckett around another season, but Dunn might be at the end of his time here. I want to see them make it a high priority and either go after a good/potentially good RB in either the FA or draft one with the ability to come right in and make a difference. That's why I think of Maroney as a great option potentially. There are other guys out there who would do well for us, but if he lasts long enough for us to select him we definitely should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:25 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

What little I watched of the TEN/LSU game last night Gerlad Riggs looked good...I know we have already brought up his name before....that would be agood idea from an advertising persepctive....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:34 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Sure, it would be fun to have a Riggs running the pigskin for the Falcons again. I know I'm probably smokin crack here, but I would love to get Reggie Bush. He's probably a top 3 pick next year, but it would absolutely sick if we got him. Think of it, Bush and Vick on the field at the same time! He's not your typical RB, but he'd work great next to Duckett or Griffith. Bush would also be perfect for taking advantage of our running scheme. If Jenkins and Roddy become what we hope, we'd have an unstoppable offense!

Post subject: I heard Vikings may move up to get Maroney
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:11 am 

Some on the board were considering Maroney as a back the falcon's should draft.I heard the Vikings really like him and would move up to get him.As of right now Maroney could rush for 2000 yards and would go in the top 10.Wish I had better news.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:44 am 
Starter
Starter

Lyndell White anyone? The forgoten USC back, man he looked great tonight and personally, I think he will be better pro back than Bush. He reminds me a lot of Edge before he blew out his knee. Bush will be a over-hyped version of Brian Westbrook.

Post subject: White would be excellent
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:21 am 

White yep he is going to be really good. I just can't see the falcon's lucking out getting any of the 3(Maroney,White or Bush).Who knows the way stephan jackson dropped a couple of years ago maybe white would be available but would the falcon's take him over a corner?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:54 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I want to renew our hopes of getting Maroney. There is every reason to believe he will be long gone by the time we pick, but he is the perfect option at RB for the Falcons. The reason I say that is because of what I recently learned about MIN's running scheme. It's the same Zone Blocking system that the Falcons use! I would also like them to consider drafting either/both of his teammates in G Setterstrom and C Eslinger. These guys are studs and are well versed in our system, so they'd be able to jump right in. It's evident that the system produces very well and to get good college athletes who know what we're doing could lead to a huge upside. Maroney then becomes a solid replacement for Dunn should he have to be cut. Setterstrom becomes a All-Pro LG while moving Lehr over to C. I think we'd be able to keep our rushing prowess up next season even though we have to let go of a key piece in Dunn.

Post subject: What if Maroney,Bush and D Williams are gone?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:26 pm 

If Maroney tears it up the rest of the year there is a very good possiblity all 3 running backs are gone in Bush,Maroney and Deangleo Williams.It would be a no brainer if they were available to trade up or just draftthem at the falcon's 1st rounder. Now if they are all gone who do the falcon's draft? Are there any def ends worth it in the late first round(which is where I think the falcon's draft).What about corners? Blackmon who doulbes as a recevier is projected 20-30 in the first so no chance of getting him even in the second round.Players drop but it is always best to have a backup plan.

Also consider rookies usually take awhile to break in and the way dunn has performed it would be hard press for any rookie to take his spot and produce like dunn has the first year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:42 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

why is no one talking about White from USC...I don't get to watch a lot of college ball since I work on Saturdays but from what little I've seen he's a stud...

Post subject: Re: What if Maroney,Bush and D Williams are gone?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:28 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

thescout wrote:
If Maroney tears it up the rest of the year there is a very good possiblity all 3 running backs are gone in Bush,Maroney and Deangleo Williams.It would be a no brainer if they were available to trade up or just draftthem at the falcon's 1st rounder. Now if they are all gone who do the falcon's draft? Are there any def ends worth it in the late first round(which is where I think the falcon's draft).What about corners? Blackmon who doulbes as a recevier is projected 20-30 in the first so no chance of getting him even in the second round.Players drop but it is always best to have a backup plan.

Also consider rookies usually take awhile to break in and the way dunn has performed it would be hard press for any rookie to take his spot and produce like dunn has the first year.

Thinking.....

All three backs gone....
Both DE's gone.....
Jimmy Williams obviously gone....
As of now I would lean toward CB Hester or S Landry. A possible trade up or down could also be likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:34 pm 
Starter
Starter

We should stay as far away from Hester as possible. Steve, personally I think White could be the best of the bunch. He is perfect for our system and should be around after the 10th pick and possibly after the 20th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:33 am 

As far as I knew, Lendale White isn't eligible for the draft. But I just looked it up, and he's a true junior just like Bush. I think it's doubtful both players come out though because they share a backfield and one will likely want to stay as a senior to raise his own draft stock. Most people are assuming Bush is going to come out, because he's the one that has the high stock in regards to buzz, leaving White to stay for his senior year to build up his buzz. But it could be the other way around.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What if Maroney,Bush and D Williams are gone?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:59 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

DenimJacket wrote:
thescout wrote:

Thinking.....

All three backs gone....
Both DE's gone.....
Jimmy Williams obviously gone....
As of now I would lean toward CB Hester or S Landry. A possible trade up or down could also be likely.

Yeah I have been thinking more & more about getting Hester from Miami if he's available. He has game breaking speed and the ability to become a shutdown corner. My only problem with him is that although he has great speed (4.3), it is not that special ukind of speed the would justify a first roudn project-type of player.

If Landry is the Safety from USC (or was it LSU?) then I wouldn't bother with him either as he has not impressed me. In fact, none of the safeties have really impressed me this year in the NCAA except for Ko Simpson...who I would give my right leg for Atlanta to somehow pickup.