It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need another press coverage corner?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:07 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

What do you guys think? Could Devin Hester be an option for us?

Post subject: Not sure if he is good enough!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:41 pm 

I know hester has blazing speed but I would want the corner who can cover the best.I expect corner to the falcon's in 1st or 2nd round.It is a need area as we saw sunday without rosum or mathis when teams put 4 receivers in we don't have enough cover guys of quality!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:37 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

what about that kid from FSU? I think Ross is his name. He's supposed to be pretty good and pretty big too, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:34 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I will probably catch some flack for this, but I think Webster has done very well so far this season. He and Hall have been solid. The difference is the type of coverage we use. Typically, we are going with a zone where we allow short passes with no yard after the catch. So far, we have managed to keep opposing WRs from making big plays. I think the lack of depth at CB and a poor pass rush last game cost us big time.

I don't see them drafting a CB very high in the next draft. Rather, I'll bet they go with a RB or DE. Hall and Web will continue to be a main starters for a while, but we will bolster the secondary with a solid #3 or #4 CB in the middle rounds or in FA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:09 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

jagstang76 wrote:
I will probably catch some flack for this, but I think Webster has done very well so far this season. He and Hall have been solid. The difference is the type of coverage we use. Typically, we are going with a zone where we allow short passes with no yard after the catch. So far, we have managed to keep opposing WRs from making big plays. I think the lack of depth at CB and a poor pass rush last game cost us big time.

I don't see them drafting a CB very high in the next draft. Rather, I'll bet they go with a RB or DE. Hall and Web will continue to be a main starters for a while, but we will bolster the secondary with a solid #3 or #4 CB in the middle rounds or in FA.

What back and/or end do you have in mind? Imo both Bush and Williams will be gone and so will the ends from B.C. and N.C. State. Will a back or end be available worth the selection? I'm not saying we couldn't use a back or end by any means btw.

I still feel strongly about taking a corner or safety, depending on who is on the board of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:42 pm 
Starter
Starter

I am a big Gator fan and I have watched Dee Webb now for about two years and is better than both Ratliff and Shepard. He looks a lot like Sheldon Brown of the Eagles. A guy doesn't have amazing atheletism but has a very solid all around game and if he last untill the 2nd round should be a good pick. He (unless he just goes crazy this year) should be ready in 07, which I think we can handle Webster for another year or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:25 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Quote:
What back and/or end do you have in mind? Imo both Bush and Williams will be gone and so will the ends from B.C. and N.C. State. Will a back or end be available worth the selection? I'm not saying we couldn't use a back or end by any means btw.

I still feel strongly about taking a corner or safety, depending on who is on the board of course.

Of course Bush and Williams are best case scenarios that I could only hope we have a chance at. The interesting thing is players can have an off season or have a mild injury and fall in the first round. Also, there are always guys who come on strong in pre-draft workouts that move up into the first. I say all that to reach one conclusion: McKay simple going to take the best player available at whatever pick we end up getting. He might even consider moving up in the draft in order to get a quality player that has caught the coaches and scouts eyes. In any case, I feel good that McKay will find FAs to fill needs and draft the best possible guys we can get. With time, those gems (like Demario Williams) will take their place on this squad and contribute. If we end up with a surplus at any position (like LB), they will look to trade them for help in some other area. Overall, I feel good about the way they go about things and enjoy guessing what kind of moves they will make. I also day dream of who would be sweet to have like Bush or Williams. Now that would be fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:44 pm 
I think we need a RDE with our first round pick. Its nearly a given that Brady Smith will be gone after this season, and we need someone to pick up the slack. I dont know if Davis has what it takes to be a starter. It seems the coaching staff is happy with him being our swingman. Second round we need to look at a CB. Other positions of need are RB (probably third round or later), K, blocking TE, WR (with Dez and Romby probably out of here after this season), and probably S depth. I wouldnt be suprised if we drafted 2 CBs in the upcoming draft, as it is obviously a need for us and Mathis may never play again, and Rossum is a dime DB.

Just my 2 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:52 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Anonymous wrote:
I think we need a RDE with our first round pick. Its nearly a given that Brady Smith will be gone after this season, and we need someone to pick up the slack. I dont know if Davis has what it takes to be a starter. It seems the coaching staff is happy with him being our swingman. Second round we need to look at a CB. Other positions of need are RB (probably third round or later), K, blocking TE, WR (with Dez and Romby probably out of here after this season), and probably S depth. I wouldnt be suprised if we drafted 2 CBs in the upcoming draft, as it is obviously a need for us and Mathis may never play again, and Rossum is a dime DB.

Just my 2 cents

This message is brought to you by Ether3917

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:37 am 
Starter
Starter

We could take a look at Leon Washington, or as I like to call him Baby Dunn, at RB. He should be there in the 2nd - 3rd round, as for the first rd pick, I would love to see us take the kid from NC St, he is an absolute beast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:21 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Washington seems like a Dunn-type of back, but his numbers are seriously down this season. He had a pretty good year in 2004, and he could be a perfect mid-round option for us if he starts putting up some better numbers. What hurts his chances is the fact he's sharing time with Booker as the main RB for FSU. It would be good for us knowing that he understands how to work in tandem with another RB instead of being the featured guy.

I like the guy from WIS Brian Calhoun. He is getting a ton of carries and TDs there. He's from the ATL, so he might just love playing here if he chooses to come out this year. Right now, he is projected to rush for over 1800 yards and 32 TDs at his current pace. He hasn't faced any real good competition yet (but they have Michigan this weekend). He could be a great option as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:45 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Hester? No way. And this is coming from a HUGE cane fan.

Unfortunately he is a little on the slow side. Alright so he is a freakin moron. He has not learned anything about the corner position in the past 1.5 years and he probably wont. He is second team CB. And part of the nickel & dime packages.

He will be nothing more then a return man in the NFL nd possibly a nickel. But to tell you the truth I'd rather have Hester then Rossum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:49 pm 
Starter
Starter

What about Jason Allen from Tenn? I would love to see him across the field from Hall.