Shawn Merriman Maryland could he be falcon's no 1 pick

The year's upcoming draft and the college game can be discussed here.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

thescout

Shawn Merriman Maryland could he be falcon's no 1 pick

Postby thescout » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:22 pm

Sorry guys, as you can tell I am jumping the gun on the draft and free agency but since this is a slow week till the game thought I would bring up Shawn Merriman's name as possible pick for the Falcon's. He is only 253 in weight and I can't see him playing def end but who knows.He also could be shifted to linebacker but we already have Brooking.All I know is he can get to the quarterback is what we need,SACKS.

Until I see more draft publications I think Matt Roth would be the first pick for the falcon's but hey between now and the draft and free agency alot can change.

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:05 pm

From what I'm hearing, Merriman is a guy that had a breakout year this past year. It was really his first year as a starter.

I think most people are looking at Merriman more as an OLB in the 3-4 defense, but he could stick as DE in the NFL. It really depends on how much weight he puts on between now and Maryland's Pro Day. I believe right now most places have him listed at about 6-4 in the 245-255 range. He'll probably need to come in at around 260 to be considered DE material.

I think most projections are considering him a late first/2nd round candidate, but a good Pro Day could push him into the first round.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “The War Room”