It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First day of draft your thoughts on players picked?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:13 am 

Well I am somewhat surprised about how the Falcon's drafted.I thought they could do better especially with the 3rd round pick.

Roddy White -from what I have read he is not a burner but can stretch defenses and run after the catch.His weakness is running routes isn't that what our current crop of receiver's weaknesses are.If White becomes a threat it is a good pick but if he rarely plays how is he going to learn like jenkins last year.The Falcons say he was the receiver they wanted all along.This guy better be good !
Jonathan Babineaux- Not a bad pick,Babineaux seems to be a clone of Rod Coleman.Can he stop the run? Our 2 defensive tackles are not big and I fear can be pushed around ala Tama Bay Bucs when they had sapp and mcfarland.

Jordan Beck- the biggest puzzle to me was drafting him in the 3rd round.Why do we need another outside linebacker? Is Beck going to remain at linebacker.You don't draft 3rd rounders to be on the bench.There were higher profile players available yet Mckay dipped into division AA.Maybe he something we don't I sure hope so.I just don't see him getting any playing time at linebacker.

Even with all of our predictions Mckay is unpredicatable when it comes to the draft.The Falcon's still lack a safety,def end for the future,running back,and the most neglected area off linemen.Is anyone else sick of seeing Vick run for his life and not getting time to set up and throw?This draft could have been better.Shazor was still on the board when Beck was picked,Sproles. I hope day 2 goes alot better.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Maybe I am wrong on Beck!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:41 am 

Gil Brandt's Analysis
Beck was the I-AA Player of the Year. Last year it was Jared Allen, who had 9.5 sacks for Kansas City. Led his team in tackles for three years and ran on grass right at 4.50. He had a great workout for the Raiders, and I thought they would have picked him earlier than this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:40 am 
There were so many weak spots for an 11-5 team that almost any position made sense in the first round. I hope they tried to trade down. Sure, they needed OT, DE, DT, S, CB, but they also needed WR, so if they think that was the best player available, I give them the benefit of the doubt. I watched White's highlight video from ESPN and wasn't blown away.

If Babineaux and Coleman become the new Sapp and McFarland, I'll be dancing with glee. TB gave up some rushing yards, but they also won a Super Bowl with those two DTs in opponents' backfields a lot.

I agree that the Beck pick is confusing. The next two picks were an OT (Chris Colmer of NC State to Tampa Bay) and a DE (Vincent Burns of Kentucky to Indianapolis) two positions that seem like more immediate needs.

I will say that for both White and Beck, the small school factor doesn't bother me much. I don't think the dropoff from your average big conference school to small schools is as great as it used to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:31 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't doubt the talent of this draft class, but it seems like we got too many players that were developmental.

And that doesn't mean I thought we should have gone only for guys that could impact right away, but White seems like a work in progress, even more so than Jenkins was last year. Beck is likened to a super fast player that is a bit raw, similar to the wrap on Demorrio last year, so there is hope that he can contribute right away like D-mo, but long-term he seems more likely to be a nickel LB than his predecessor.

I like Babineaux, I think he'll be a really good player. He's the pick I like the most. But I agree, I think our 3 biggest needs were DE, OL, and S, and not a single pick in those areas on Day 1.

I knew McKay wouldn't work off a blueprint, which is something we fans often set up: "We should go this position in this round, this in that round, etc." But this is a wait and see draft. I hope we can work Day 2 early like we did last year with Williams and Lavalais, because that was the best part of our draft last year.

Profile E-mail