It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any potential movement on draft day?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:01 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Do you think there is anybody on this team right now they the team or you are willing to trade in exchange for draft picks?

IMO, these following players are the only guys that have significant trade value, and as you can see some are "untradeable":

QB Michael Vick
RB T.J. Duckett**
TE Alge Crumpler
G Kynan Forney
DE Patrick Kerney*
DT Rod Coleman
LB Keith Brooking
LB Demorrio Williams*
CB DeAngelo Hall
CB Allen Rossum

I put a (*) beside the guys that actually would garner cap savings if traded according to Cap's figures. The (**) for Duckett is that the accelerated cap hit is so small that it is not significant (about $57,000).

So in truth, we really only have 3 players worth trading in Kerney, Williams, and Duckett. Now Kerney is a guy that is untradeable since he's begining to come back into his own and coming off a Pro Bowl year. The team is really high on Demorrio Williams and he's another player that is very unlikely to get traded.

So we look back on Duckett as the only player that looks like he could be traded. Last year we talked much about Duckett being traded, but he too is another player that is starting to come into his own. But again, there is definitely a good price for Duckett. What would you take in exchange for Duckett? A 1st round pick? 2nd? 3rd?

I think I'd be willing to take any Top 50 pick in exchange for Duckett. I've reversed my opinion of Duckett from last year when I was very critical, but then again, I also realize that the team is capable of finding another back that is probably a better fit than him.

So if I'm McKay, I'll actually entertain some offers from teams if they call asking about Duckett. Although RB is supposedly a deep position this year, I think the talent drops off after Round 2, so I think there will be teams out there that will definitely see Duckett as an option.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Duckett,we should at least see what we can get
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:00 pm 

There has to be a team out there that would give up a top 50 pick for Duckett.The Radiers already have there running back problem solved.I have not looked to see which teams have multiple picks and need a running back,those would be teams to focus on.Duckett still has alot of potential but we will never see it with Dunn here.

Duckett is the only one i would trade the others are to valuable players.If Duckett is going to be just a part time player why not move him mckay should be thinking.Duckett I believe will be a free agent or restricted next year and the falcons probably will lose him for nothing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:33 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I was thinking about trading Duckett a few weeks ago when something occured to me, we all know Miami needs a RB, Miami has a new coach, Miami's new coach is putting a premium on youth as evidenced by his stockpiling draft picks. Now the really interesting part is that wasn't Saban at Michigan State while Duckett was, and he may have been the guy who switched him to RB or at least recruited him. If it was me I would be calling Miami trying to get some interest started there.

Post subject: Great point I didn't think of that!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:53 am 

Very intriguing about duckett and his connections to Saban.I hope Mckay relaizes what is at stake here.Most of the time Duckett is on the bench why not get another possible starter out of it and offer Duckett to Miami?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:40 am 

The Nick Saban connection is one that I never thought of. Saban did in fact recruit Duckett to MSU, and they were together for Duckett's freshman year.

There have been many reports saying the Dolphins plan on passing on Ronnie Brown at #2 and looking elsewhere. I don't really believe them, since I think it's just Miami's attempt to trade down. But it would make sense that they would potentially pass on Brown if they thought they could get Duckett at a much cheaper price. A Top 3 pick will likely require bonus money between $18-22 million this year.

But the Dolphins are without a 2nd round pick, which probably would have been a good option to use to get Duckett. So if the Dolphins made a trade, it may involve a player. There are a number of Dolphin players that could be traded, including WR Marty Booker, DT Jeff Zgonina, and CB Patrick Surtain. There are others I'm sure they are willing to part with, but because of cap reasons may not be able to do so.

If a player trade was possible, I'd love to see the Falcons get any of those guys, although Surtain is quite expensive. I could also see the team acquiring DE David Bowens as another possibility.

Or possibly the Dolphins plan to finangle a 2nd round pick somehow when they trade down on Saturday, and then use their 1st round pick on a QB or WR, and then use the newly acquired #2 pick to trade for Duckett.

Of course this is all just speculation, but it is something that could work, assuming the Dolphins are able to move down a few spots. There is one rumor that Tampa Bay (who has #36 pick in Round 2) is looking to move up to #2 in order to steal Alex Smith away from Cleveland.

But it may be contingent on too many pieces falling into place to be more than just a hope.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:53 am 
Role Player
Role Player

I didn't know the Fins didn't have a 2nd, so that does put a damper on any possible deal cause that has to be where the Falcons want to get to (high in the 2nd). But I wouldn't scoff at a 3rd and a 5-6-7 type pick. We have all mentioned depth along the O line as a need and 5-6-7 is where Gibbs likes his boys to come from, so why not take the picks in that range and give some projects a shot. And for the record I am all for dropping Duckett, he still hasn't proved consistency to me, if I get a third for him I use that 3rd on Sproles and consider it an upgrade.

Post subject: Go ahead and flame me now!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:48 am 
But I think the player I would stick out there as trade bait would be Keith Brooking. Understand my logic. Here is a guy that we are paying a lot of money. Granted, he is a good leader, but let's look at what we have in Hartwell and Reese. Really, Demorrio Williams is more of the WILL linebacker Mckay likes any way. Just think about Derrick Brooks. Which linebacker is closer to Brooks? Williams hands down. Here is the other thing to think about. Brooking is a pro bowl linebacker that is in his prime. That with his character and leadership skills make him very marketable. If we could get a 1st and 3rd for him, I take it and build depth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:58 pm 

I agree Brooking becomes very tradeable in future years, but the cap prevents us from making a move in the near future. As I stated in a previous thread, the cap hinders us from moving Brooking until 2008 or so.

And trading him would leave a hole at SLB. I know the rhetoric is that Ike Reese is a capable starter, and I'm not he is not. But ideally, he's a player that you would have in a nickel role, because that's what he's best at. Over 16 games as a starter, he's very unproven.

Profile E-mail