It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adrian Peterson would you take him at No 10 if there?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:36 am 

I watched the Bosie State game vs Okie and watched Peterson most of the game. I really don't want to evaluate him on the game after all he is coming back from injury.He didn't make that big of an impact in the but really you have to judge him on his career.

The Adrian Peterson I am used to is one of the best in college a back that has speed and can run you over who is physical. He is a top pick in the draft if he was healthy but there is a chance he could fall. Remember Stephen Jackson did all the way to the Rams so it could happen. The question with so many needs to you draft a back or better question is norwood the type of back who can carry 2-25 times a game. He seems brittle so I have my doubts and to get peterson who I think could be the almost as good as LT you have to take the athete with highest ceiling and peterson if at full strength is an elite runner. His touchdowns in his college career come from long range and short,just look at all the TDs he has scored. Here is the dilemma for the 10th pick:

do you take a guy to open holes for 10 yrs in Justin Blalock a 330 pound guard that will be a pro bowler and can pass protect.
do you take a home run hitter in peterson even though the defense needs alot of help
do you take landry or nelson who could really help the defense.

I think it comes down to drafting the best player who has the highest ceiling with a need at the position.Could be interesting if schaub is dealt for a 2nd rounder meaning other needs are addressed if peterson was drafted.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Pick 10
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:36 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Peterson/Lynch/Bush all decent picks. Bush would be a good platoon back with Norwood, and could allow Atlanta to trade down from pick 10.

The new coach will probably be better off spending cap $$$ on the O-Line. A guard like Montrae Holland/Saints for left guard or OT Leonard Davis/Cards and move Wiener to left guard.

Assuming Schaub goes for late 1R or a 2R I like John Beck/BYU in the 4R. If new coaching staff likes H-backs I like Scott Chandler in 2R or maybe Martrez Milner in 4R.

If Kerney is high on the $$$ then I like a Q.Moses if we can get him to play like he did in 2005. Saw some speculation on switch to 3-4 Def. If so then need a LB to platoonwith Boley/Brooking/D.Williams/Hartwell. Q.Moses/UGA could fit that role also.

Rather than draft a safety at pick 10, might be better off to try to get a cover safety in 3R or FA Ken Hamlin/Hawks. Move Crocker over to SS to back up Milloy. Or how about CB Jordan Babineaux to join bother John and move Jimmy Williams to roam at safety. The question with J.Williams is whether his instincts are better served at man-to-man and to let him develop at corner.

If switch to 3-4 then Abraham/Davis/Carrington/Babineaux/Millard at DE - GJackson/Shropshire/T.Jackson at NT - leaving Coleman for trade bait for draft pick or player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:34 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I've got my sights set on Nelson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:36 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Peterson's final draft stock will be determined by his health. IMO, he'll wind up a Top 5 pick if he's deemed 110% and doesn't look to have any lingering injuries that could flare up down the road. If not, then he could fall into the latter part of the 1st round.

I think we could see a shuffling of the OL this off-season. Weiner has the experience in the past of playing OG, so he's versatile. Lehr of course has played most of his career as a center. It really all depends on what kind of coach we hire and his scheme.

We can speculate which players we should/could go after in free agency, but until that question is answered, we won't really know.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:50 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

If it were me, I'd take Peterson in a heartbeat. Between him, Vick, Norwood, and our zone-blocking scheme (if we don't stay with it, we might still use stretch plays here and there), our running game would be unstoppable for many years. Peterson is another RB in the mold of Stephen Jackson and Larry Johnson who can dominate a game. Put him in our zone-blocking scheme, and he'd be ridiculous. Sure, he might have some injury issues occasionally, but that's why you keep two RBs around all the time. Platoon them both.

I think the left side of the OL needs retooling. Don't mess with Forney or Weiner and maybe leave McClure alone too. But Gandy should be a cap cut and Lehr just isn't getting the job done. Bring in someone who has some talent in FA and the draft for LT and LG, and see how things turn out. If we don't get a chance at Peterson, I'd say take Blaylock and put him at LG. That guy is going to be a stud for a long time. You can use any blocking scheme with him and he'll produce results. Then we find a solid LT to keep DEs out of Vicks face. Gandy did ok at that this year, but it might be time for us to have someone who can dominate there. Then a new offensive scheme and we're back in the hunt.