It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL Draftcountdown discusses Schaub's future and what return
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:19 am 

Though I would share this with the board talking about Schaub. Would Jacksonville give there no1 pick probably around 20th for Schaub since they have leftwich and garrard? If so and the Falcon's grab peterson at running back and would have a shot at Woodley or Reg Nelson at 20. Very interesting how things could develop !

I would like to know what you think the Falcons will get in return for Matt Schaub. He will likely be given the highest tender which would mean a first and third round pick would be the compensation, but that is negotiable. There is a lot of talk for Randy Moss for Matt Schaub, then again, some are talking about Atlanta sending Schaub to whoever has the #1 overall pick, along with their first round pick and possibly a 2nd or 3rd for the rights draft Calvin Johnson (if he declares). What do you think the Falcons should do?

Aaron Brooks
That is a great question and if you go by what Atlanta has demanded for Matt Schaub in the past the price would seem to be at least a 1st round pick and maybe more. The problem is that every year the Falcons hang onto him they lose some leverage as he's inching closer and closer to unrestricted free agency. He's still a restricted free agent now but eventually Atlanta's going to have to deal him or risk losing an extremely valuable commodity and getting nothing in return.

There should be no shortage of teams interested in Schaub, who's still a young guy but has three years of experience in a pro system and has played well whenever the opportunity presented itself. For a team like Jacksonville, who will miss out on the Brady Quinn / JaMarcus Russell sweepstakes, it might be worthwhile to send that 1st round pick to the Falcons and take a chance on Schaub.

Despite investing #1 picks on Michael Jenkins and Roddy White the Falcons still are in desperate need of a stud receiver but I highly doubt they would be able to get into position to land Calvin Johnson. As far as Randy Moss goes I think that would be a great solution for them and he wouldn't cost much in terms of trade compensation but in the past the franchise has been extremely reluctant to bring him in due to his baggage and I don't see that changing.

- Scott Wright, NFL Draft Countdown

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:18 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm still of the opinion, that if the Falcons get a 1st round trade offer, it will be in the late 1st round. Although there are teams like Washington out there, almost all teams hold onto their 1st round picks religiously, especially when those are in the Top 15-20 picks, which is typically considered the range were a foundation/franchise player can be found. Remember how reluctant the Falcons were in giving up their #1 this past year, and that was for a 3-time Pro Bowl and was the 29th overall.

Although Schaub defintiely has talent, unless Greg Knapp/Bill Musgrave lands somewhere in the NFL as a coordiantor/head coach/QB coach (and thus has significantly influence on who is the QB for said team), I don't see any team really giving up that high a pick to get Schaub.

The two teams I think would be most interested in the "Schaub Sweepstakes" are Detroit (Pick No. 2) and Minnesota (No. 7), but I doubt either would part with their presence 1st rounders for Schaub, unless the Falcons were willing to throw something a bit more substantial in there, and it may be more htan our own No. 1 pick (Pick No. 10).

In fact, based on draft position, IMO, probably only KC (#24) and Baltimore (#30) are in a position where they could afford to give up a #1 for Schaub.

It's still too early to accurately gauge Schaub's stock. Speculation indicates that at least 2 prominent juniors are expected to join Quinn, Troy Smith, and Stanton as the TOp QBs in this year's draft. I'm referring to JaMarcus Russell and Brian Brohm. Them coming out, only hurts SChaub's stock.

Not to mention, several veterans like Jake Plummer, Drew Bledsoe, Mark Brunell, Kurt Warner, etc. may be available for teams as well, which also hurts Schaub's stock. If Leftwich is put on the market, it only hurts Schaub's stock.

Not to mention, whether the team trades Schaub will have a lot to do with who is the new coach.

All these factors put together, makes me believe that the best offer the Falcons will get is a 2nd rounder for Schaub. And if as many believe, that is just not enough, then I don't expect to see Schaub wearing another uniform this year. That's just my prediction as far as January goes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: So you think falcons keep Schaub!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:38 am 

Well if it comes down to keeping Schaub and losing him for nothing next year or trading him for just a second rounder its a no brainer get the 2nd. Second round players cost less and alot of stars come from the second.I would accept a second rounder hopefuly in the top 10 for Schaub. Just about every QB you mentioned Pudge has some question. Leftwich if he was so good why isn't Jacksonville keeping him . Garrard I don't think has played that well that jacksonville won't consider someone else. Plummer is iffy,Bledsoe won't be a no1 anymore etc etc etc. Yes its to early to guage the market but if push comes to shove either arthur bites and signs schaub which he won't accept since he wants to start or schaub has to be traded. I think Schaub has alot of upside just look at the stats from his college years.Yes college isn't the NFL but he has shown enough that if he plays every day could do well probably better than vick in wins for the team.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:02 am 

I just look at it from this perspective. If I'm another team, do I really want Schaub?

For a team like Oakland, Detroit, or Minnesota, sure a more polished QB like Schaub looks good for the short-term, but would you take him over long-term security and upside like you would have in a Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russell or Brian Brohm? Frankly, are those guys more talented than Schaub? The simple answer is: PROBABLY, if only judged from the fact that they are all potential Top 10 picks, if not having the potential to be taken No. 1 overall, while Schaub was a late 3rd rounder.

For a team like KC or Baltimore, Schaub looks a lot better because you are a playoff team that rather than looking for someone who can start today, you are more interested in him as a future successor to your current over the hill QB. Schaub probably looks a lot better than Kyle Boller does or Brodie Croyle, the de facto heir apparents in those two cities, so making a bid for Schaub makes sense for them. But at the same time, are you giong to bend over backwards and ship away a NO. 1 if you can simply wait a year and sign the guy.

The simple truth is that a team is more willing to overpay a guy in free agency than trade away a No. 1 draft pick. With the $$$, if you realize it's a mistake, 2 or 3 years down the road you can cut him or whatever and make up for it. If it's a draft pick, there's no mulligan for that. You waste a No. 1 draft pick, that impacts your team for years to come. Thus why if Abraham doesn't work out soon, the Falcons are going to be paying for it at some point.

I just think when you look at it from the perspective of the GMs/coaches in the other 31 cities in the NFL, you really have to LOVE Matt Schaub if you are going to give the Falcons something good for him. And at this point, the only people I see Loving Schaub to that degree are Musgrave, Knapp, Tim Ruskell, and Mike Martz. For the former 3 its' cuz of their firsthand interaction with him, and for the latter, it's because supposed he loved him in college.

But then when you look at it from Detroit's perspective, do you really think Matt Schaub is that much more special than Jon Kitna that he's going to be the difference between 3-13 and 9-7 in 2007? Because trading your No. 2 pick for him essentially says that.

The fact that the Vikings only got a No. 2 for Culpepper should illustrate to us how difficult it owuld be to land a No. 1 for Schaub.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Good points !
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:20 am 

OK I can understand from that persepctive if your a young team your going with someone who as higher upside and if your already a playoff team contender than schaub would make sense. My main point is at least get a 2nd rounder for schaub don't let him walk for nothing. Falcon's need extra picks prefer in top 3 rounds and schaub isn't doing anything on the bench.Here's an intersting scenario:

Vick struggles next year and the falcon's risk keeping schaub lose for nothing in free agency. After Vick struggles falcons decide to trade vick and then offer schaub alot of money to be QB. do you think that might happen? If not then trading schaub just makes more sense!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:29 am 

I agree thescout. If I was the Falcons GM, I would trade Schaub for a No. 2. I just don't see the Vick-Schaub thing working out as well as the Brees-Rivers thing did in San Diego.

If you keep Schaub, then there has to be some unspoken agreement that he will eventually get an opportunity to start for your team. If you are unwilling to make such a concession, then you should trade him as soon as possible. Unlike the Rivers situation in San Diego, the Chargers basically had Rivers locked up for 6 years. While here in Atlanta, we are racing the clock until his contract expires. Of course, such a race could be eliminated if Schaub agrees to a long-term extension, but that seems doubtful at this point with him seeming so close to a chance to start somewhere for big $$. Unless of course that place is here.

I'm not ready to make any predictions on the performances of Schaub or Vick in 2007. But I'd say it wouldn't surprise me at all at this point if Schaub is the starting QB at the end of the year.

I'm saying I would make the trade if a #2 is offered. I just don't see the Falcons doing it, mainly because there is less confidence in Michael Vick within the organization than it appears on the surface.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:10 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge, I believe you're right that we very likely will not get a 1st rd pick for Schaub unless we get lucky and some team late in the draft bites. Considering how valuable he is as a backup to Vick with his break-neck abilities, it makes a lot of sense that they keep him for another year. I have to think that there is a team out there who is looking for competition for their underachieving QB and will spend at least a 2nd rd pick for him (perhaps adding a 3rd or 4th as well because of the tender's value). I just don't want to see ATL use up a lot of valuable cap space on a backup QB. However important it is to have someone decent behind Vick, we have so many other areas that could stand to be addressed. Having an extra draft pick or two would go a long way towards helping this team fill holes and address the specific needs that come with implementing new schemes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You can never count out the Matt Millen factor....

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.