It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CBs and RBs????
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:47 pm 
Starter
Starter

The War Room forum seems alittle dead so heres something to think about...

Seeing we have little to no depth at all in the CB department. Would anyone be upset if we drafted Leon Hall, McCauley or the CB from CAL. I'm kind of getting tired of seeing Omare Lowe and Allen Rossum play opposite of D.Hall. I do want a top prospect safety or DE but its almost embarassing to see who we have starting at the other Corner.

How about drafting a RB? I saw in a mock draft, it had us draftingMarshawn Lynch from Cal...When I first looked at it, I thought no way. But the way the draft went, Gaines Moses Nelson and Landry were gone already... Seeing the way Norwood has been injured already twice and Dunn declining as the season goes, what if we did draft Lynch, I don't think its that bad of an idea.

Post subject: Corners and backs!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:54 am 

A few things about the corner position. One is that even if a corner was drafted no1 where is the pass rush to pressure the QB? Even if you have all pros back there they can't keep with receivers for a long time. I doubt if leon hall drops out of the top 10.The Falcon's I expect win tomorrow vs carolina and iffy in philly so your probably looking at a 14-18 draft slot. If you look at the def ends there are only enough that are decent through the top 10 in the second round. I think def end is more likely at 1st pick if kerney isn't resigned.Probably the best way to approach the draft is def end round 1 corner/safety round 2 .There are some safeties that could play corner sparingly like eric weddle a combo safety/corner that is who I prefer.

For running back alot of years good running backs can be found in rounds 3 and 4 so unless someone shockingly drops I don't see running back as a top priority.

Could you imagine michael bush in the back field? Unless the falcon's were blown away I don't see them drafting him but he sure would be a big difference over dunn and norwood.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:08 pm 
Starter
Starter

hey scout, what draft slot are we looking at if we lose these next two games??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:10 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

You're right, the Falcons need to address the CB position this off-season. At the very least get a competent nickel back that can stay on the field (unlike Chris Cash), that can potentially push Webster if Williams isn't up to it.

But first and foremost, the Falcons defense needs to figure out what style they want to be: zone or man. They seem to be wanting to have it both ways. I realize that no team even the Bucs are exclusively one or the other. But continually over recent years, we've seen the Falcons talking about having top cover corners (which roughly translates to man coverers), but play a lot more zone coverage.

Basically the Falcons need to figure out which one they want to be, add the proper player, and stick to it during the season. Hall is one of those corners that could play effectively in both (although he seems a lot softer vs. the run than a normal Michigan CB). McCauley and Antoine Cason (if he comes out) seem more man-guys. Darrelle Revis could probably play both. Daymeion Hughes is a pure zone guy. They seem to be the consensus top 5, but as normal, somebody rated as a 2nd rounder now likely will jump up over the next 4 months.

As for RB, I think the Falcons need to bring in some size. All 3 of the top RBs (Lynch, Peterson, and Irons) would work well behind our zone-blocking running scheme. Peterson already plays behind one at Oklahoma. But are any the physical presence we need, and do we need to use a #1 pick there? Doubt it. I think the Falcons can address this area more likely in free agency and use the draft to build elsewhere.

Hey if Duckett doesn't get many sniffs, might as well try to bring him back cheaply.

Profile E-mail