All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A new mock out today
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:44 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I would be happy with Landry :lol: :lol:

http://thefootballexpert.com/abromowitzmockdraft.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Whoever we get better make an impact!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:03 am 

Whoever the 1st rounder is better make an impact. If its safety,def end,off line etc etc we can't wait long for the player to contribute. It will be interesting to see if kerney resgins and the only way I sign kerney is way below his current contract. The other thought is can Carrington,Davies be good enough opposite ABE to get a rush on? We can't have ABE go down again next year and be stuck with carrington/Davies types trying to get a rush on.Looking at the prospects I tihnk safety is deep enough that you could wait till the second and end up with a guy like eric weddle who can play corner/safety.

Anyway I expect Schaub to be traded for at least a second rounder if not we know what direction QB is going after next year. Nelson or Landry would be nice as long as they make an impact. Crocker isn't that good on coverage so we do need an upgrade.

So BB since you follow Landry who do you compare him to in the NFL?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Whoever we get better make an impact!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:39 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

thescout wrote:
Whoever the 1st rounder is better make an impact. If its safety,def end,off line etc etc we can't wait long for the player to contribute. It will be interesting to see if kerney resgins and the only way I sign kerney is way below his current contract. The other thought is can Carrington,Davies be good enough opposite ABE to get a rush on? We can't have ABE go down again next year and be stuck with carrington/Davies types trying to get a rush on.Looking at the prospects I tihnk safety is deep enough that you could wait till the second and end up with a guy like eric weddle who can play corner/safety.

Anyway I expect Schaub to be traded for at least a second rounder if not we know what direction QB is going after next year. Nelson or Landry would be nice as long as they make an impact. Crocker isn't that good on coverage so we do need an upgrade.

So BB since you follow Landry who do you compare him to in the NFL?

That's a good question that was asked in the LSU forum a few days ago when the All-American Teams were announced .some said a young Harrison...some even said a young Milloy...but not a Reed or a Palomalu.

Last edited by BirdBrain on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:41 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I'll tell you what...If it were me making the decisions I would be trying to hold onto Schaub. He is going to be very good. His problem is he has been stuck behind mighty Vick.

If they do trade him I certainly would not let him go for less than a second rounder for sure. There were rumors and I am sure you all heard about them...that Bill was interested in him for sending over Greg Ellis to you guys early in the season.

I think it was all hog wash but if they put him up on the trading block I bet he goes quick. If Vick does not show he is the right fit in Atlanta for his style of play then you would think they would have to see what Schaub can do in the starting spot. I think he is just to good to not take a real serious look at him before offering him up for trade. Just my 2 cents.

Post subject: Thats the debate!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:06 am 

This debate has been going on for almost 2 yrs whether the falcon's should extend schaub or trade him before next year since free agency pending after next. Either Schaub is overhyped or will be a very good QB thats the chance you take if trading for him.Since he came from Virgina and has a very good career passing one would suspect if given the chance he will do well. That is the controversy with vick starting your never going to know so if management feels vick isn't the qb of the future then you hang onto shaub but if vick is you trade him. I wouldn't want ellis I think there are some good players in this draft so I would take at least a top 2nd rounder for shcuab if not higher.

With as many available Qbs out there schaub's value might not be as high as we think. Schaub has been sitting for quite awhile so he should do well alot faster than some rookie who hasn't seen NFL defenses,will have to see what happens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:31 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Oddly enough, as I've been keeping track of over a dozen mock drafts since October, a lot of these so-called experts believe the Falcons are going to draft a DT this April in Round 1. Now it's a possibility, but I'd be shocked if the Falcons took a DT over a DE or S. Then again, some of the DTs they have us projected to take are pretty good, so I wouldn't complain too much.

thescout wrote:
Either Schaub is overhyped or will be a very good QB thats the chance you take if trading for him.

That's why you do your best to trade him out of a conference so that you will only see him potentially once every 4 years, unless you both meet in the Super Bowl, and if that is the case, it would be a hard case to argue that you shouldn't have traded him since after all the guy you stuck with led you to the Super Bowl. But I think the biggest potential takers on the "Schaub Sweepstakes" are the Lions and Vikings. Perhaps the Raiders or Chiefs would be the most likely AFC teams to be interested, but that would probably be dependent on the Raiders getting an OC that runs the WCO and the Chiefs failing to re-sign Huard.

If I was forced to make a wager now, I'd still bet the Falcons are less likely to trade Schaub than actually deal him this off-season. So I think Schaub will have a slim chance in '07 to prove that he is worth keeping the long haul compared to Vick, but it's slim.

The way I eventually see it playing out is that the Falcons re-sign Schaub to a 1 or 2-year deal this year. He plays up his contract, and walks eventually for free agency. And within 2 years of Schaub being gone, Vick will be gone as well, so that will be around 2009 or 2010.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:39 am 

Here is the Sporting News assessment of Landry.They compare him to Roy Williams and think he is fantastic. They don't have Nelson from Florida graded since he hasn't applied yet but it will be interesting to see who they compare him with.In fact in a minute I will start a thread on who the sporting news compares some these players the Falcon's may draft.Hope this helps ,roy williams what a wimp! :oops:

LaRon Landry
S, LSU
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is an explosive athlete who always is around the ball. Makes strong, violent tackles routinely. Attacks the line of scrimmage against the run. Avoids blocks easily, and closes on ball in a flash. Does not hesitate to dive into the pile. Shows great instincts. Is fast enough to make plays along the sideline in two-deep coverage. Reads routes well, and reacts quickly to passes in front of him. Is fast enough to cover tight ends man-to-man. Is a great tackler in the open field. Has a good build. Shows great focus.

Weaknesses: Desire to make hard hits/tackles on every play leads to occasional missed tackles because he launches himself at ball carrier and falls off after making initial contact.

Bottom line: Landry has elite physical tools to go along with great instincts, toughness and competitiveness. Landry will be drafted high in the first round and will become a great NFL safety, one who can make an impact against the run and the pass. He also should be a great asset on special teams from Day 1.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:46 am 
Starter
Starter

I noticed in this mock that Patrick Willis out of Ole. Miss going to Carolina. I would think they would rather go for a guy like Paul Posluszny.

But I'm lickin my lips at the Laron Landry pick for us. From what I'm reading from that Sporting New assessment he sounds more like a Shaun Taylor to me then a Roy Williams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:58 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Yeah..i have watched Landry for four years..he isn't like Williams at all...Williams is horrible in pass coverage..and Landry isn't. Williams, as Parcells said, is "one biscuit short of a LB", and Landry is quicker, and smarter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:05 pm 

Landry is a more natural safety, while Nelson seems a bit of a tweener. If as they say his 4.45 40 speed is accurate, I think a lot of teams that run the Cover-2 will look at Nelson as a CB for that defense rather than a safety.

From what I've seen and read about Nelson, he'd fit the bill as a SS here in the way that Donatella likes that guy to cover the deep part of the field. He's a natural centerfielder.

I don't think you can go wrong with either player if you're the Falcons.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:51 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Pudge wrote:
Landry is a more natural safety, while Nelson seems a bit of a tweener. If as they say his 4.45 40 speed is accurate, I think a lot of teams that run the Cover-2 will look at Nelson as a CB for that defense rather than a safety.

From what I've seen and read about Nelson, he'd fit the bill as a SS here in the way that Donatella likes that guy to cover the deep part of the field. He's a natural centerfielder.

I don't think you can go wrong with either player if you're the Falcons.

Even though I love Landry...i would still be very happy with Nelson....Meyer had to actually tell him later in the season to stop hitting people so hard..he has a nose for the ball and was successful in all their packages...he could use a little bit of weight gain though.

Profile E-mail