It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: College Qb's this draft who will be the best?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:19 am 

Looking at the possible Qbs in this draft I think there are a few that will make an impact.

Brian Brohm - I think he is the classic QB capable of big passing games and scoring points

Troy Smith - I don't care if he isn't 6'0 tall he knows how to find the open receiver and can run the ball.He is going to be a good NFL QB.

Demarcus Russell - some compare him to Culpepper,I haven't seen enough of him to decide.

USC QB - I think he will start somewhere maybe not the first year but he can pass the ball.
Brady Quinn - he'll be good but not the super star we think.

Here's a question for the board hypothetically of course. What if Schaub is traded for a high second rounder and vick is here one more year before management decides he won't lead us to the super bowl do you draft a QB in the second round? Also consider that Shockley isn't the answer either.

If a team loves a certain player despite other needs especially at QB the team will go after that player. I think Troy Smith stands a good chance of being drafted in the 1st round but if he lasted who do you think would fit the falcon's at QB supposing schaub is already dealt and vick is traded after next year?

Three players that come to mind are the USC QB and michigan QB but I doubt the michigan QB comes out. Troy Smith I don't think you can compare Smith to vick since smith can actually pass with success sort of a shorter version of vince young. In fact if cleveland doesn't draft smith I'll be shocked.Smith is from cleveland and as mentioned has alot of potential. Would the Falcon's even go that route if they had a early second rounder for schaub? Or is the mike vick experiement enough for falcon brass and they want a pure passer?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:11 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Here is a good article discussing T. Smith and his comparison to Vick by the media.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ill/061211

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Good article!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:00 am 

I have to agree with the article Troy Smith will be a factor in the NFL. As mentioned on my earlier post Cleveland would be lucky if Smith was still around and the Browns would be fools to pass on him as many other teams will. QB IQ is the most important factor for me and Smith has it. This may sound crazy but I think Smith will do better in the NFL than Vick and on a par with Vince Young.

Vick is the crowd pleaser for his running but that isn't going to win you super bowls. Now until the X factors get answered about Vick were in limbo.The X factors being an offense more suitable to vick's talents one that will have the receivers run longer routes, an off line that can protect better and maybe a receiver who can hang on to the ball. It would be wise if Troy Smith were there in the second round and if the falcons get a top of the 2nd draft choice for schaub to draft smith. Quarterbacks can effect the game like no other position and despite obvious needs elsewhere you get the impact player when you can despite other needs.

All this is probably moot since I expect Smith to be taken in the first after the combines show he has a good arm and runs a very 40.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:28 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think all of them have the potential to be good NFL players. From what I've seen, I've seen positives from Brohm, Quinn, Smith, Russell, and Stanton. I like Quinn, Smith, and Russell the most, but then again, I've seen more from them in order to like them.

To answer your question, if the Falcons trade Schaub and then decide after 2007 that they don't want to keep Vick around, then it's a pickle we're in. I'd love for us to land Troy Smith, but I know there is ZERO chance we get him. Smith is an upgrade over Vick. I agree with the article. But at the same time, I'm not sure I'm ready to rebuild right now, and wait 2-4 years before Smith is ready to play and go back to being the team we were in 2000 and 2001.

So if that situation proves to be the case, the Falcons simply are in a predicament where they will have to start from scratch in 2008. Maybe they sign a player (Marc Bulger is a free agent), maybe they draft someone (like Henne, or Brohm, who I don't believe is going to come out).

As for the Browns, although drafting Smith makes sense because he is a better player than Frye, the Browns needs extend beyond having a so-so QB. They are the 30th ranked run offense and 31st ranked run defense. The Browns would be better off putting the talent around Frye (or whomever) first before addressing their QB situation.

Profile E-mail