All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New mock from NFL Draft Scout
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:04 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

1. Brodney Pool, S, Oklahoma
2. Channing Crowder, LB, Florida
3. Jim Davis, DE, Virginia Tech

Pool is a good player, but no longer the type of player we should be looking for. He and Scott can be a fine secondary, but I'd much rather have a run stopper back there.

Crowder is an excellent player, but there are numerous off-field concerns and with Hartwell under wraps, no real need for him unless the Falcons tried to move him outside.

Davis is a good player, but not the speedy pass rusher we need. Long-term, he looks like a guy that will make his best impact against the run.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: That is an iffy draft in my opinion
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:47 pm 

I saw that info to on the draft site and don't agree with nflcountdown.If we are sold on scott being a free safety then why draft pool? Crowder has alot of talent where is he going to play?Davis does not have enough speed to get to the QB.I will take a look at the site again and select who I think should be drafted given the players available.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:45 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

This draft would not be great in my opinion. Like Scout said on Pool and Crowder, what need do they fulfill, maybe Crowder as a future stud and a late second round selection could be good value but still. As for Jim Davis, the 3rd is WAY to early unless the Falcons have one thing in mind for him, they think he could bulk up some and not lose his speed and quicks and play the UT spot behind Coleman. I watched every VT game I could the last 5 years and Davis has been productive in ALL of them. But that was against college guys and more importantly against college QBs who hold the ball too long. Remember the gator bowl agains Clemson when he had two or three sacks on Woody Dantzler in 01. He has the smarts and the instincts and when he turns it on he has the motor, but he doesn't have the all around athletics, alot like former VT ends Corey Moore, Nathanial Adibi, and John Engleberger. The only one who made it was Engleberger on a bad 49ers line as a stopgap starter, because he had size and motor, but he was never special. Overall just say NO to Jim Davis in the 3rd, 5th or 6th is another story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:10 pm 

I agree about Davis. I've liked what I've seen from him over the years, but he doesn't seem like the type that is going to significantly upgrade our pass rush. He's the type of player as you say, that might become a utility guy that can play LDE on 1st and 2nd down and DT on 3rd.

People have said Crowder has the range and ability to play all 3 LB positions. And a few years from now it might be quite nice having him and Demorrio as our starting OLBs, but again, considering he's unlikely to crack the starting lineup in the near future, he would be a tough sell although if he proved he can behave himself he would be a great player to have. But for a guy that doesn't have an exact niche coupled with off-field issues, I wouldn't really go after him unless he fell to Round 3 or so. Bottom line, if the Falcons went after Crowder, it would mean to me that they did not plan on keeping Brooking too much longer.

Right now, if I were the Falcons, I'd be looking for someone that could add some size to the SLB position.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Had I picked the players for Draftscout
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:46 pm 

Given the available players left in Rob Rang's mock draft these are the players I would have taken:

1.Demarcus Ware
2.Adam Terry
3.Ernest Shazor

Ware and Shazor have questions on there size but given pass rushers are hard to come by and ware's upside you take the risk also with Shazor if Scott is our free safety shazor would compliment him and intimadate like scott case used to with the falcon's.I think Ware could be another freeney to get him at 27 is a steal.Terry would play either left or right tackle and solve one problem on the off line.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:15 pm 

I think if it wer eme picking, I would take:

1. Justin Tuck, DE
2. Adam Terry, OT
3. Logan Mankins, OT

I know that's 2 OL, but I think Terry may have a brighter future at RT rather than LT, and Mankins can be groomed either as a LT or LG. Given us a lot of flexibility. Down the road we could have Mankins and Terry as our starting OTs, or possibly the pair of them as the starting left side of our line.

You can never have enough good offensive linemen in my book.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I see your point on your players
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:31 pm 

I was torn between shazor and mankins and figured as bad as the secondary was last year I went with Shazor.Mankins and Terry would be 2 players that could really develop to outstanding linemen.I would not be disappointed with them.If We took your players and drafted nicohlson in 4th it would be great draft.

Tuck vs Ware so you would go with Tuck.I like him alot but not as much on getting to the QB as Ware plus the injury factor with tuck.Tuck can probably play the run better but a beefed up ware will improve.Ware may be the best pass rusher over polack at def end,

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:13 am 

Tuck definitely didn't have the production that Ware had, but these are the things I like about Tuck over Ware:

1. He played at a bigger program. Although Ware proved himself against top competition at the Senior Bowl, I like Tuck as having less of a learning curve due to the competition he faced over the past 3 years as a starter at Notre Dame over what Ware has faced.

2. I like Tuck because his frame is already pretty much filled out. Both possess about the same strength, but Ware is going to have to put on another 10-15 pounds. Sure much of that will be muscle, meaning he can only get stronger, but it also means adjusting to his new weight, something Tuck has the heads up on. I think for both it won' t be a matter of adding strength, but playing with better technique. Considering Tuck won't be a guy that is going to have the hit the weight rooms early and often during his first years in the league, I think he has a slight lead on Ware.

Because of those two reasons I think Tuck has a slight head start on Ware and is more ready to make an immediate impact in the NFL. This might have been a 3rd point, but I also think Tuck has been given the edge by most experts in terms of his abilities to play the run. Again, the difference is not huge. This is how I see the tally between the two:

Ware - edge in PRODUCTION, DURABILITY, ATHLETICISM, PURE PASS RUSHING
Tuck - edge in SIZE, STOPPING THE RUN, EXPERIENCE

It really comes down to what you think is more important. But again, both players are only slightly ahead of each other in each category. If judged off potential, then I think you pick Ware. But basically, I don't think you can really go wrong with either selection. It's just my personal preference that we get a DE that is ready to go right away and I think that's Tuck.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:09 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I like Cody in round one. He offers the versatility of one gap tackle or end. Put him outside in running situations & move him inside @ NT on pass situations. An alternative I wouldn't mind is Khalif Barnes. Round two I think we should go either strong safety, corner, or OL, whoever the best player is (I like McFadden, Shazor, or Adam Terry as possibilities). In round three I think someone like OJ Otogwe, CJ Moseley, or possibly OL - Ray Willis or Evan Mathis. If we miss out on OL in the first three rounds would like to see us go for Michael Roos or someone who may drop. I also wouldn't mind us going after Ryan Claridge to play SLB with #4. I think we could go guard or center with one of the fifth round picks. I love Scott Young's potential, Eric Ghiaciuc's versatililty, or Richie Incognito's nastiness. I couple of others I like late include James Kinney or Roger Cooper for depth and possibly challenge at SLB (at least fantastic special teamers).

Post subject: Storage
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:57 am 
[quote][/quote]

Where can i keep something like that? :X