It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adam Carriker
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:00 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I jsut watched some of the OU-Nebraska Big 12 Championship game, mainly to watch Nebraska DE Adam Carriker, and I came away impressed.

One of things I liked about him was that he actually used pass rush moves to try and get to the QB. Like 95% of college DEs just basically try to beat OTs with edge speed and a quick first step. Carriker did not, which I liked.

But it did seem like that was because he doesn't have a great first step, which could hurt him. I saw him using swims and spins and try to get off blockers. It didn't work to a great degree, but it does show a solid base for being a complete DE, rather than a guy that is purely an edge rusher.

Also gotta love his size (6-6/285) and his strength against the run. Good motor too. Basically he reminded me of a bigger version of Kerney.

If the Falcons wound up with him as their replacement or heir to Kerney/Abraham, I wouldn't have a problem at all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I would take him in the second round !
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:18 am 

Carriker kind of reminds me of Brady Smith a big guy who uses moves to get to the Qb. I wouldn't mind drafting him in the second depending who the falcon's get in the first. Alot is going to depend on what draft position the falcon's have. Here is a scenario

The Falcon's lose most of there remain games:

I would take that chance on Calvin Johnson.To heck with the critics saying falcon's have 3 no1 receivers. White and jenkins were drafted near end of the first round. Not many receivers have johnson's size or speed and he put up good numbers with a bad QB.

falcon's win a few more games:

I would draft Woodley or jake long

falcon's win the majority of there games

best player available to fill a need. Doubt if laron landry would still be available but a reggie nelson or michael griiffin would work.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:19 am 

I think if the draft were held now, Reggie Nelson would definitely be the #1 safety taken, probably a sure bet as a top 15 pick. Landry might fall to the latter part of Round 1. After them, it seems Rouse & Zbikowski & Griffin are the next best ones, and maybe only 1 or 2 go in Round 1.

Basically, I'd draft anybody from Michigan, since I don't think you can go wrong with any of their potential #1s: Henne, Hart, Long, Woodley, Branch, Hall, etc.

Carriker might fall to Round 2, and he'd be a huge steal then. The Falcons have a lot of options in Round 1, and we won't know a lot until we see where they finally end up in draft position and which juniors come out. Because IMO, this seems like a very average year for seniors, with only a few that really stand out. This draft will probably be made or broken by the juniors.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:49 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I like Nelson alot as well...but he is a different kind of safety, more like a crocker type...Landry however is more of a traditional type...and i think he will be a top 20 pick.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:17 pm 

If the Falcons make a switch to the Cover-2 next year, then Nelson probably would be a good fit to replace Webster at CB...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:32 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I think Woodley will be a LB in the NFL, and we have some great depth at LB.