It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A surprise from McKay
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:46 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm willing to bet McKay is going to surprise us with one of his early selections come April. Most people weren't expecting us to trade up to get Jenkins nor did they see us taking a QB in Round 3. I think we'll see a surprise similar to that. Maybe not taking a player at a position that most don't consider a need, but rather taking a player at a position a few rounds higher than most expect.

One bet I have might be the RB position. Considering the dropoff of talent at that position after Round 2, maybe the Falcons will take a quality back at #59?

At this point, I think the 2nd tier backs like Morency, Fason, and Arrington will be gone by that pick, but you never know.

I think Morency would be a good fit in our offense. Similar to Quentin Griffin, who has shown things in Denver in a similar blocking scheme. Morency really sounds like a guy that is like Warrick Dunn, but bigger and stronger.

POssibly the biggest surprise may be not picking defense in Round 1. I think most agre that the team will most likely take the best DL avaialbel in Round 1, with a possibility of taking a S as well. But maybe the team will go OL or WR in Round 1? That would be a big surprise.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:33 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

If we do go offense in round one, the only person I'd be happy with is Khalif Barnes. We have to invest more in our defense. I don't think we'll go S in round one. I think there is value out there in the later rounds. I think you right on when you say we'll go DL. If there is not one of value, then I think we should CB. Surely in this class there will be a CB or DE (preferably DT). Below is my 7 round mock based on NFL Countdown's top 250. What do you think???

#1 Shaun Cody
#2 Adam Terry or Evan Mathis
#3 Anonio Perkins
#4 Sean Considine
#5a Anthony Bryant
#5b Roger Cooper
#6 Brandon Jacobs
#7 Jon Clinkscale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:45 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I agree with the suprise idea, and even more so with the thought of taking a back high, but I disagree with Morency. I watched him some during the season with the thought that we need a back soon and having heard the same comparisons to Dunn and his ability in a zone blocking scheme. I wasn't sold on him, and I certainly wasn't ever high on Griffen. I think Sporles is gonna make some team real happy and some scouts feel real stupid. I think he has more power then people think, he may not drag a defender to the goal line but few do unless they are Bettis sized. He hits with a deceptive pop and being so low he really does have the ability to get lost in the shuffle and then explode on the other side for a big one. If not Sproles then a guy like Marion Barber, or even Ryan Moats (much later round) should be considered based on their vision and skill set. Maybe its a better fit for another topic but does anyone else think that Duckett is not the type of back our offense (gibbs zone blocking) maximizes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:33 pm 

I would really love to walk away from the first day of the draft with a top offensive linemen.

Barnes would be a good pickup, but I feel he's destined to the Top 20 picks. Jammal Brown is a player I see that could fall to us at #27, but I have the feeling the Jets will snatch him up at #26 if he's there.

Terry definitely is a good option. He's a bit bigger than most Gibbs-type guys, but he has the athleticism and mobility to fit in this scheme.

Mathis is another name that I think is probably the closest thing in this draft to a guy like Mike Wahle, and he probably has that type of potential. He'd have the ability to challenge either at LT or LG this year.

Wesley Britt and Michael Roos are two more OT prospects I think the team could consider in Round 3. Britt's stock has slipped because of injury, but he could be a big time sleeper in this draft. Roos is a bit of a project, but he possesses some of the abilities that Gibbs covets.

The team could also decide to address the interior OL and then go for a OT in the later rounds. Options at G/C would be Logan Mankins, Scott Young, Chris Myers, or Junius Coston.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:20 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Mathis sounds to me like the exact guy we're looking for as the answer to our need at LG. I really wanted Wahle, but Mathis might end up being a better option. If he could step in and beat out Moore, Lehr, and Herndon, it would be a huge step for this offensive line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:22 pm 

Mathis is a guy that I think might move up to the middle of the 2nd round, so he may not even be available when we pick in Round 2.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:25 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I think you're right that McKay drafts for future needs rather than immediate needs. For example, he drafted Lavalais last year so he'd be ready (in theory) to start this year.

With that in mind, it makes sense to pick up a replacement for Dunn, who can't play forever.

Really, WR, OL, DL, S and CB all make sense to me. I guess I'm easy to please.

Profile E-mail