It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Options at safety
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:22 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Okay, bottom line seems to be the Falcons are targetting a "coverage" FS for the upgrade this year in the draft. Pool and Bullock immediately jump out as strong possibilities. Most expect Pool to go somewhere between #15-25 in the first round, so it's even doubtful he'll be available at #27. Bullocks is probably a mid-to-late second rounder, but may not be there at #59.

So what happens if the top candidates are off the board? Do we reach for somebody? Here are seemingly the next best free safeties:

1. O.J. Atogwe, Stanford (5-11/220) - a big run stuffer that struggles in coverage, but he's smart and strong. He would be a candidate to play SS since he's mostly a run stopper. Most consider him a strong 2nd round candidate.

2. James Butler, Ga. Tech (6-2/215) - another guy that is a better run stopper than in coveage, but he has great size and the potential to play either FS or SS. A local product, so that's a plus. He could go as high as Round 3, but could fall as far as Round 5.

3. Sean Considine, Iowa (6-0/210) - he's a good all-around safety that doesn't make too many mistakes. Iowa has produced a number of safeties over the years, but few have gone on to be more than dime backs/special teams guys. Looks like a 3rd/4th round guy.

4. Mitch Meeuwsen, Oregon St. (6-3/215) - he's a sleeper prospect that is beginning to rise up boards. Good size and smarts, but seemingly is ranked low because he's not a great athlete. If he continues to move up, he coudl be a 3rd rounder, but most are projecting him at 5th/6th right now.

5. Dustin Fox, Ohio State (5-11/190) - a tweener at CB and S, most think he could make a good FS or decent Cover-2 corner. We'll see, but not many are saying he has loads of upside. Could be a late 3rd rounder, but more likely to be a 4th rounder.

6. Vincent Fuller, Va. Tech (6-1/190) - another tweener that has the plus of playing with DeAngelo. Concerns about him is how good can he be in run support?

Other 2nd day prospects:

Jim Leonhard, Wisconsin (5-8/190)
Marviel Underwood, San Diego St. (5-10/200)
Gerald Sensabaugh, UNC (6-1/215)
Justin Beriault, Ball State (6-3/205)
Matt Giordano, Cal (5-11/200)
Kerry Rhodes, Louisville (6-3/210)

At this point, I think I'd be happy with any of the 4 prospects listed, and Fuller. The 2nd day prospects sound promising, but none really jump out, and if you're drafting a starting safety in Round 4 or 5 or later, you're most likely NOT drafting a starting safety.

Right now I guess I'm just holding my breath for Meeuwsen. And it will be great if he goes in Round 4, allowing us to use our Round 2 and 3 picks on other positions that need help. Such as DT, WR, or CB.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Talk about stuck between a rock and hard place
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:17 pm 

If those are the choices after Bullock and pool I don't like any of them.What about Shazor he is sliding maybe we could get him in the 3 round? I know he is a strong safety and many question his speed but would be nice to have an intimidating safety.If I am Mckay and I here Bullocks is about to be taken from the middle of the second to the falcon's pick I get on the phones and start working a deal.for me it is night and day between bullocks,pool and the rest at free safety.

Remember the def backfield is our weakest area of the team.If Pool isn't there with the 1st rounder then I move up and get bullocks.We don't need another project that will take 3 yrs to develop the falcon's need help now.I don't know what mkcay would give up but I would say not including next year's first rounder or second the rest of the picks this year and next would be used to deal for bullocks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:20 pm 

I too would like someone that is a physical run stopper in the secondary, but I'm not sure what McKay wants. I'd love to have Shazor, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I believe the Falcons would probably look at him more as a linebacker than a safety.

I really think Meeuwsen could be worth something however. Atogwe fits the bill as a run stopper, and I wouldn't mind having him. Ideally, he and Scott would switch positions. I think Scott should be ready by now to be able to make the secondary calls.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I wouldn't mind seeing Thomas Davis in a Falcon uni @ SS with Scott @ FS...I really think he is a playmaker & could contribute immediately. That said, we still need a CB & DT in the first three rounds. I think we could pull a S in round 4. I would like to see us try to trade up in the 4th round w/ one of our 5th rounders & #128. Wash has only 5 picks including #112 & NYG have only 4 picks including #110.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:32 pm 

A lot of draft sites have Davis slipping in the draft. I don't really see him slipping as far as Atlanta, but it's a possibility.

If he's there, do we take him? Does he become a serious option in Round 1?

But I think Mora & Co. would see Davis more as a OLB than a safety. The issue with Davis seems to be his change of direction skills, which are not what you would like in a safety.

But the more I read about him, the more he sounds like the next Derrick Brooks rather than the next Roy Williams.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:38 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I am with you on Davis, while I like everyone else wants someone in the lynch mold who makes recievers sorry to come over the middle, but not at the expense of making recievers look forward to running up the seams. Thomas Davis makes lots of highlight HITS but how many sound tackles does he make and how many sound tackles does he blow going for the big hit. To me he seams like Roy Williams light without some instincts. If we used him as a hybrid like his skill set dictates then he could be a GREAT pick up, but I don't think we have that kind of defense, Mora and Donatell have a scheme, and they want to fit the right players into the scheme instead of the scheme to the players. If Davis were around in the 3rd and was the best prospect then I say go for it for value but otherwise I would not be a fan of the pick.