It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matt Jones?!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:08 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I just read on the Roost about Matt Jones, and I want him on our team!!! He is by far the best athlete in the draft. He measures 6-6 242 and runs a 4.37 40. The blurb on him also mentioned the respect he has with all the head coaches in the SEC. The only thing against him is what some call being slack, but he is actually just very calm under pressure. He has good hands, is quick and agile, and can play multiple positions possibly. He was a good QB for ARK, but his shoulder problems in the past take away from his throwing abilities. However, he would make an excellent WR and TE, possibly play some HB too. Imagine having Jones 6-6, Jenkins 6-4, Finn 6-5, Crump, Vick, and Duckett/Dunn in the Red Zone! He could be used as a decoy for any of the other skill players. He could be used as an additional blocker. He could split out at WR for a fade, go inside on a slant, or even take a reverse.

I have really just started to notice Jones, so there might be a lot more that I don't know about him. However, if what little I have read on him is true, he could be a devastating addition to this offense that could take it up another notch! If he is a stretch to take with our 1st rd pick, I say trade down into the early 2nd and take him. I have a feeling he will be worth it!

Post subject: Jones is an intriguing prospect would have to pick him
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:56 pm 

Jones certainly has the intangibles you look for in a receiver but reviewing other draft websites that are reputable he is moving up and a team will probably pick him in the 2nd round.The question I have is would you take him if Bullocks was gone? Shazor's stock is slipping and I still think he could be there late 3rd round.Shazor's speed was poor in his workouts and teams are looking at him as a linebacker.Getting back to jones if no other athlete is available that really fits the falcon system and fills a need Jones would certainly be high on my list.If the flaocn's go recevier do they take jones over Gibson in the second.Or maybe reggie brown if he is still around? Do you take the chance jones can be a stud or go with the proven commidity?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:52 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The thing about Jones is that he's pretty raw since he's moving to a new position. I don't doubt he'll turn into a good NFL player, but how long will it take? Does he have the ability to be a good blocker.

He is blessed with amazing athleticism has great speed (4.37) and the class TE athleticism (basketball player).

I wouldn't mind the Falcons adding Jones, but probably not in the 2nd round. As he stated, I'd rather see the team target one of the top safeties in that round.

Also do you think the Falcons would benefit from having a downfield threat at TE like Jones teaming with Crumpler? It seems the Falcons are more interested in a blocker rather than another pass catcher.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:27 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

My thinking is Jones cannot be pegged as just a TE or WR. He is so different from any type of athlete anyone has ever seen that you almost have to create a new position for him. Either that, or use him in multiple positions where you can maximize the matchups. Sure, it will take him some time to get up to speed on how to play his new position(s), but he could literally dominate anyone who goes up against him with time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:34 am 

Very true jag. Jones potential to play both WR and TE is pretty good, although I'm not sure he's as fast as his timed speed (4.37) would indicate. So I don't think he could be a WR full-time (there's so much more involved at that position than speed), but could be used as an H-back/TE that you can split wide on several occasions during a game. But he would present major matchup problems for any DB or LB.

Would you be willing to spend a #2 on him knowing full-well that he's only going to be a part-time player, at least for the near future? Do you think Jones capable of overtaking any of our wideouts long-term?

Or would you prefer to use that pick on a position that deserves some more immediate help like safety, defensive tackle, or offensive line? Of course best player available comes up in this thought process, but if things being equal, and the team roughly had DT Luis Castillo, OL Evan Mathis, S Josh Bullocks, and TE Matt Jones rated about equally on their draft board, which player do you take?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:19 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

That's an excellent question! My feeling is the fact that Jones is so raw because he is changing positions nullifies his athletic ability somewhat. Therefore, he may not be able to come in and make an impact right away. I have two answers for you. 1) Retorically speaking, do you draft a player in order to stick them into a hole on your team, or do you draft based on their potential to excel? In some cases, there are players who fulfill both aspects at once and should be drafted with no questions asked. However, there are some players who have such greater potential that you have to rate them higher regardless of whether they fit a need. While you don't want to ignore positions of significant need, should players like Bullocks, Castillo, and Mathis be rated as highly as Jones from a potential standpoint? 2) Could Bullocks, Castillo, and Mathis come in and fill the holes on our team right now, or would they also be potential starters who need acclaimation? My point is virtually all rookies require time and practice before they can break into the starting lineup. Jones would be no different. There are a few high 1st round picks who are able to jump right in, but we are talking about players who will probably be selected after the 1st and maybe into the 3rd. The other thing is if Jones could play some split end or WR he could meet a different need for the Falcons. Everyone has been saying how much we need to improve our air attack, well Jones could be a perfect way to help as he would provide a huge target for Vick.

One of the things that Mort stated in his article is how most folks see Jones as not being quick enough to play WR. He felt that Jones is quick enough, but he seemed slower because he wasn't used to playing the position. He said give him 4 months, and he will look a lot faster. Jones also has the drive and passion for the game to work at being good in his new position(s).

My feeling is that we do need to address needs like S and DL in this draft. It would be great if we could get some of the better athletes at those positions, but it would also be great to get players with tremendous potential. I would love to see McKay trade down a few spots from our late 1st pick and get an additional 3rd rounder for it with which we could get more quality players to fill these needs. Then we'd have a chance to select possibly all 4 of these guys between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Maybe that's a pipe dream, but I think we could certainly pull off the trade and get 4 or more quality players in the first 4 rounds. The more picks in this area will provide excellent depth and possibly render a possible pro-bowler. Whether Jones is that guy, we will have to see, but with more picks it will be easier to take that chance perhaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:01 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

If I was running the draft i wouldn't touch Jones with a ten foot pole. He is changing positions and was never seen as a technician at QB so what makes anyone believe he will invest any time into WR technique. Plus when was the last time a PRO coach really spent any time on teaching technique, not often. I am with Pudge on the fact that I doubt the time he posted and Morts excuse for his quickness, can he do it when everyone else is playing at a higher speed? Can he learn to use technique to excel when his athletiscm doesn't take him to the top by itself? Can he learn to BLOCK, reports say he isn't really interested in it, thats part of why he doesn't want to play H-back or TE. All that being said if the Falcons do take him then I won't be mad, kinda ambivalent, there has been enough of a buzz that I can give him 2-3 years to learn the position and make something happen. He kinda reminds me of Jeremy Shockey as a total package except being called a big WR instead of a fast TE, and we all see what JS has and hasn't done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:17 pm 

VT makes some good points.

Shockey as a case has regressed each year he's been in the league. Part of it has to do with injuries, but the other main issue is attitude. He hasn't done anything to improve himself, and thus being a freak show as a rookie, now he's just an above average pass catcher. He sitll has the potential to be dominant, but he needs to look within himself and find that ability to take it to the next level.

I haven't read or seen anything that would state Jones fits in this category, or that he's a very hard worker. First off, discovering that a lot of this buzz is coming from Mort also doesn't sit well in my stomach. This guy is no talent evaluator. He's a reporter and he doesn't sit there and analyze film. Maybe if this was coming from a guy like Jaworski, Merril Hoge, Tom Jackson, or even Michael Irvin, I'd take it for a bit more, but since it didn't, Mortensen is about the last ESPN guy I'd listen to when it came to how good a prospect is.

And I don't want to sound like I'm being too negative towards Jones. But bottom line, it seems that a lot of people are getting caught up in the athleticism rather than the skill. From his talent evaluations I've read, he seems like a guy if he was scouted purely as a TE, he wouldn't be more than a 4th round pick, based on his skill. As a QB, he would go undrafted. As a WR, he might be a 5th round pick but only because of his size, and not his skill.

The guy is a superb athlete, and I've seen some places where they think he's among the Top 5 in this entire draft class. Which is a testament to itself, but at the same time, Jones does seemingly fit the bill as one of those workout warriors that falls in the same category as a guy like Mike Mamula, or any of the other players that have "duped" NFL scouts based more on their athleticism than actual ability.

My thoughts are why not spend a later pick on a "tweener" type. This player may lack Jones' athleticism, but most likely he'll have much more polish as a receiver than Jones will have coming in. Some names to think about:

Tab Perry (6-3/220, 4.46) UCLA
Tommy Manus (6-4/222, 4.55) Morgan State
Darrin Charles (6-6/218, 4.63) Wisconsin
Ellis DeBrow (6-3/235, 4.76) Delta State

All those guys are considered big WRs. Some are looked upon as guys that need a lot more polish at the WR position to make it on the next level despite excellent talent. Others are small school prospects that will need to adjust to the level of competition. Basically, all could make good H-back/WR niche players if they put on a little weight and learned how to block. At this point, I'd much rather the Falcons go for another position in Round 2 or 3, and then take one of those guys in Round 7 (although most consider Perry to be a 5th round prospect)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:09 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Falcon jersey. I think he could make an impact this year in the red zone. 6 feet 6, 240 pounds with all that athleticism? He would definitely present a mismatch vs. a 5'10 CB or nickel back.