It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Def Ends and Corners Round 1 for Falcon's!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:25 am 

Just wanted to get an idea of what the board feels falcon's could target in round 1 and round 2 .This is a top notch safety draft so let me throw this out there in terms of the draft.

1.Kerney is a free agent if he doesn't resign is the def end draft deep enough to get a quality guy with falcon's pick? If not if there is a better corner out there then who do you pick?
2.I don't feel Davis is capable of making an impact as far as sacks next year.
3.Webster is a sore spot for the falcon's but as pudge as stated and I believe also a good pass rush can cover a lot of mistakes.

With any draft you have to evalaute how deep the position is and how many impact players are there.

Here are a few names that could be on rader for the falcon's if they don't go safety in the first.

Def ends
A.Victor Abiamiri
B.Ray Mcdonald
C.Tim Crowder
D. Anthony Spencer
E.Lawrence Jackson (underclassman)

I really like Abiamiri over the others.Don't know alot about Jackson will comment later on him.
Corners
A.Dameion Hughes
B.Fred Bennett
C.Marcus Mccauley
D.Antoine Cason
E.Darrelle Revis

A few of the bigger names I didn't mention since more than likely they will be gone.It is still early but never can prepare early enough for the draft.Corners and def ends are positions everyone is looking for.I think with the rather cloud falcon's have over corner and def end it would be wise to use 2 of the first 3 picks on def end and corner.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Two more players!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:35 am 

Baraka Atkins and Charles Johnson two guys with good pass rushing potential!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:18 pm 

I'm still thinking Atlanta needs to load up on DB's this offseason. Getting another Chauncey Davis like DE in the 3rd or 4th round would be a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:16 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't know a ton about him, but from the little I've seen and heard about Abiamiri, he seems a great fit in Atlanta. Another name to keep an eye out for is Michigan's LaMarr Woodley. Although many have been talking about him playing OLB in the NFL, he has the sort of speed and range that I know Mora & Co. prefer.

I'm not sure about this DE class, but it does seem like there already are 5 or 6 seniors that could be taken in the Top 40-50 picks. ANd if some notable juniors declare, that improves its depth.

As far as the corners go, it's not as deep as it was a year ago, when you had all those DBs going early. This is what I've heard about the few that you have listed:

Hughes - great size and athletic potential, but purely a raw zone cornerback. Unless the Falcons plan to go to zone all the time, they should probably stay away.

Bennett - I hear he is better than Jonathan Joseph, who was picked in Round 1 last year, but for some reason my brain is connected character issues with him, so does he pass the filter?

McCauley - Most say he will be a Top 15 pick, so is he out of the Falcons reach?

Cason - A top cover man and a junior, but I hear there are concerns with his speed. Plays at a top level, but I hear his stock will be connected to his speed. If he times well, then he'll be a Top 15 pick, if not he might drop to Round 2. So he's a wait and see guy. Sounds like a guy that would fit here, but may be out of reach.

Revis - Another junior. Being a Pitt alum, I like Revis, but to be honest I have yet to see that much out of him that says he's anything special, at least to merit some of the draft sites that consider him the best corner in the country.

We shall see how things play out over the next 5 or so months, but from a lot of things I've heard the gap between the CBs that are considered borderline 1st rounders now, and those that are considered potential 3rd rounders is not as big as when compared to DEs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Lack of depth and talent!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:51 am 

Seeing these injuries to the falcon's (corners) def ends) as good as michael griffin is it is really getting hard to pass on a corner or def end in the first.Now if griffin is head and shoulders above those on the board you probably take him but I don
t see that being the case. there is depth at safety so the way it stand if the draft were were held today I would do the following.

1.Best corner/def end whoever has the most potential
2. read no 1
3.safety

I don't know if the falcon's have a 4th round pick for crocker? but I would draft an off linemen in top 5 picks.Wish the falcon's had more picks.reason i didn't include woodley I felt he would be gone by falcon's pick.If he is there no brainer you take him.

I don't feel Chauncey Davis will develop into nothing more than an average def end and with Abe always getting injured kerney even if he resigns (much lower price) a bonafide pass rusher is needed. Look at the seconary how long has it been since the falcon's have had actual depth back there instead of the rossum's.Someone who may eventually start.Jimmy Williams will have alot of pressure on him and I hope he does well at worse a safety.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:45 am 
Starter
Starter

talking about Safeties...I hear the name Brandon Meariweather alot...Do you guys actually think the falcons would take a chance on this guy? I hear all these bad off the field issues he has and plus the stomping on the player during the big fight this year. To me, I don't think he would pass the Falcon Filter...

Post subject: Mark Anderson a steal for the Bears!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:07 pm 

I have been looking at rosters at the rookies and young players who were recently drafted at def end.I am paying particular attention to def ends who may have been drafted 20-25 since thats where the falcon's may draft and am not impressed with any def ends except for Mark Anderson of the Bears I think a 5th round pick.Anderson has 7.5 sacks for a rookie no one else is close.Now I haven't looked at all the def ends but if the falcon's go def end in the 1st or 2nd how much impact will a rookie have as low as the falcon's will pick?

Unless Mckay comes up with a gem the falcon's may be in trouble if they can't resign kerney but I agree I would break the bank Kerney is good but nothing to over pay for.I doubt if mckay moves up if there is a real impact player there at def end then do it.Woodley,Aba(the guy from notre dame) or some other player.Pass rushers are at a premium so you do what you have to to get one.

Profile E-mail