It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kicker
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:34 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

What do you guys think about drafting kickers? Should teams draft kickers high? I mean there is talk about the guy from Colorado going in the 2nd or 3rd round. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:02 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm always weary about drafting kickers because usually whether they are drafted early or undrafted, most struggle early on. If you look at the past 8 or so drafts, you see only 2 kickers really living up to expectations: Nate Kaeding and Martin Gramatica. Guys like Nugent, Janikowski, etc. haven't always been consistent.

Of the 12 kickers drafted in the past 5 years, only 5 are with their teams, and essentially were able to make the roster as rookies.

So I mean with a kicker moreso than probably any other position, about 50% of the guys you draft will actually make your team.

I hear good things about Crosby, but I would avoid a kicker if possible in the draft. Knowing guys like Hoffman anywya, it's doubtful we draft a guy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:37 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I agree with Pudge...kickers shouldn't be drafted higher than the 6th round, if then. Unless the need is so great and the kicker so good that it will have the right value. The Jets took that guy last year pretty high....3rd or 4th round and he has been ok...but nothing special.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:33 pm 

2nd round BB.

You essentially have to ask yourself is Jay Feely worth drafting? And if so, what round? Because if you're one of the 50% of the teams that will actually find a kicker that will contribute, more than likely he's not going to be better than Feely.

Usually the really highly touted guys have done well. Kaeding has done fine. Janikowski had a slow start, but has since turned into a pretty good kicker. Martin Gramatica and his brother Bill had good starts to their career, but since tanked off due to inconsistency or injuries. Josh Scobee and Josh Brown both have career FG % of about 77%, and Feely's career is 79%.

So although I think Crosby could be a good pickup for us, I really don't believe in spending anything above a 4th on a kicker (and only then if he is a "special" kicker) and considering some team will likely use a #2 or #3 on him, I don't see us drafting him.

Instead you can expect the Falcons to bring in 2 young punters that kicked a total of 8 FGs in college between them to compete for camp, just because Hoffman likes their kicking motion. :roll:

Profile E-mail