It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Defensive Tackle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:30 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Okay, since there has been some talk on what to do next year in the draft, I say somehow we move up in the first round and take Allan Branch from the University of Michigan. He's 6-6, 331 pounds and can do it all. I think he would be a great DT who could learn from Coleman and Jackson since everyone agrees Jackson is just a stopgap anyway. That would give us a good yound DT. I know we have a couple of youngs ones waiting, but this guy is going to be good.

As for the needs I see for the Falcons in the first round are WR, WB and RB...okay I was just joking there. I see defense, defense, defense. No offense with the first pick. We know they won't choose an OL because they just don't do that. We don't need any offense in the first round. I say go DT or S. We have Jimmy Williams waiting to start at CB and unless we decide to move him to S, I don't think we draft a CB. I could see us drafting Landry, which would be really nice.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Go Falcons!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:09 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I agree, we have young guys at most places on offense, we just need more time for them to develop. Of course I would want them to try and get a good OL in the first, but you're right that's a long shot.

We need to go best defender in Round 1 if the right OL isn't there.

I've seen something of Branch, he's a pretty good guy. He'd be a nice guy to develop behind Grady Jackson. He's pretty quick for his size. I don't think I would be mad with that pick at all, considering all our key contributors on the DL are basically 30.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: No way Branch makes it to the 20's
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:05 pm 

Branch would be a steal for any team wanting a def tackle in the 20's.I doubt if he makes it past 15 since big def tackles alot of teams want.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:58 am 

I think his stock will somewhat slip similar to what Haloti Ngata and Gabe Watson suffered last year. Watson was a 1st round talent that wound up dropping all the way to Round 4. I don't suspect Branch will slip that far, but more like Ngata. Ngata for most of the season and the beginning of the off-season was cosnidered a sure-fire Top 10 pick. But slipped 5 or so spots on draft day because of his potential weight problems. Branch has similar issues. People love his size now, but once February rolls around and scouts & doctors get to poke and prod him a bit, we'll probably start to hear things like poor shape and potential work ethic ala Jimmy Kennedy. But at least with Ngata, he's playing very well so far as a rookie, something that is rare among DTs.

Branch isn't a bonafide Top 10 pick yet, but I think just from that sort of conventional wisdom, he'll probably be picked somewhere between pick #12 and pick #18 in Round 1...if he decides to come out.

If the Falcons are picking in the 20s, more than likely the DTs we will have to target are:

Quinn Pitcock, Ohio State
Frank Okam, Texas (Junior)
Tank Tyler, N.C. State
Brandon Mebane, Cal
Justin Harrell, Tennessee

There are others, but mostly they're juniors that may or may not come out like FSU's Fluellen and LSU's Dorsey. But both Mebane and Harrell need to step up because most are giving them 2nd round grades now.

Profile E-mail