It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Early but thoughts for Falcon Draft 2007 !
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:07 am 

For the draftniks out there draft talk is year round so I thought I would pose this question to the board. If you had to predict what positions the Falcon's should target and what rounds and possibly players what are your thoughts on this?

This year's safety draft looks real good with Landry,Griffin and Merriweather(whose stock may be down due to the miami fight incident). All 3 of these players should be very good pros. If one is on the board would you take him in the 1st round? If not what position looking at the Falcon's needs? Right now safety,corner,def line both def end and def tackle(since how long will Grady be able to play),off line are position needs.

Kerney is a free agent and I wonder if the Falcon's bring him back? Certainly not at his current price but a reduction in salary? If Kerney signs somewhere else falcon's are definitely weak at def end.Abraham is going to get injured most years and be out a few games and davis is not ready to be an impact end. How do the falcon's fix this problem? I don't think this yrs crop of def ends is deep or that talented. Are there any free agents may be worth the price?

Off line we saw against the Steelers what a difference makes with even a second stringer coming in Clabo just think if the Falcon's upgraded with a top notch prospect at guard and center.

Grady isn't going to be playing that many years so it is important to draft someone that is big and a space eater. Maybe someone falls in the draft and is there in round 4? Def Tackles are so hard to predict in the draft but its a position of need in my opinion.

Corner, we see this year that Webster is a weakness especially a struggling pass rush exposes him. If Abe is injured and who knows how the falcon's will fix the rush having a quality corner opposite Hall is a need. Jimmy Williams may never be a top notch corner so I consider this a need also.

Looking at the draft and the falcon needs I hope Mckay is able to get a few more picks either trading Demorrio Williams and or Schaub if Vick proves healthy and shows his passing ability.For right now here is a possible draft!

1st round: Landry,Griffin,Merriweather
2nd round : Def end
3rd round: def tackle
4th round : corner
4th round: off line

I know the Falcon's have 2 4th rounders I am not sure of the 3rd rounder. Off guard and center are weak in this draft and is a need I look for a free agent to be signed by the falcon's.Again those extra picks for demorio and or schaub could be huge to rebuild the falcon's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:42 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Falcons do have 2 4th rounders, and will probably be without a 6th as well based on the likely conditions in the Gandy trade.

I think this team doesn't really have any major needs, where it is obvious we are going to have to take a player early in the draft.

Safety, WR, RB, DE, DT, CB, and OL are the most important in my eyes. But for most of those positions, it's more a matter of depth and those issues could be corrected with a 2nd or 3rd tier FA signing.

This is a strong safety draft class. Right now Landry, Griffin, Meriweather, Zbikowski, and Rouse all are getting 1st round grades. Landry seems like the only one that is probably a definite 1st rounder, but the others will probably all be gone by Round 2 at the latest. I'm not really a fan of drafting Ss in the 1st round unless he is something special. Landry right now is the only guy that I really feel strongly about, but I realize the others are good players as well and if we're picking like 25th or whatever, then my feelings on avoiding safeties are weaker.

Kerney is a FA, along with Griffith, McClure, Weiner, and Lelie. Re-signing many of those guys will be key to our draft plans. If Kerney walks (seems doubtful at this point however), then our need at DE increases dramatically. If we can keep Kerney, then basically it would be ideal to get a quality pass rusher later in the draft (round 3?).

Obviously McClure and Weiner's re-signings are key. I know neither player is near the top of anybody's favorite players list, but the alternatives don't seem exciting. Is Ojinnaka/Omiyale ready? Could Lehr be a capable starting OC? What about King? We'll have to see, but even if both come back, the Falcons will likely draft depth later in the draft. I wish the Falcons would use an early pick on an OT or OG (like say ND's Ryan Harris or NIU's Doug Free in Round 1 or 2), but with Gibbs it seems doubtful.

Some people have voiced the concern about signing a veteran CB in FA. It's doubtful just because any player that is a significant upgrade over Webster, is likely to cost an arm and a leg. I could definitely see the Falcons drafting another CB, but it would likely have to wait until Round 3 or 4. After that point, it's unlikley we could find anyone that would be more than a ST guy.

I agree on DT. Jackson is just a stopgap. And this team needs to find someone that can fill his role, hopefully in the middle rounds. I'm still hopeful Shrop & Babs can step up and be future starters, but if we can find another behemoth in Round 4 or 5, I'll be content with that insurance policy. But truthfully, the Falcons could probably take the approach of signing veterans since if last spring was any indicator, it's likely that there will be plenty of "over the hill" DTs that want one last hurrah in the NFL.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:46 pm 

I can't build a whole lot on what has already been stated by Pudge. Heck most the time by the time I get to a thread either BB or Pudge has already stated my mind and I just keep on moving. I've gotten lazy posting. :)

Anywho for what it is worth I'm thinking the Falcons need to focus on the offensive line and secondary this year. I would really like to see the Falcons go after a center to replace McClure in the 1st or 2nd round next year. Here are my thoughts...

1st Round: I would focus on the offensive line in the first round. If nobody seems worthy of whatever pick we have then I'd look at drafting another corner or a defensive tackle in the mold of Grady Jackson.

2nd Round: Again offensive line is the priority but looking at corner as an alternative would seem appropriate here.

3rd Round: Here I would look for a safety that could learn from Milloy and eventually take over for him. Looking at DT... you guessed it corner would be good alternatives.

Rounds 4-7: These rounds I've always viewed as depth rounds. So I would look at defensive end, safety, runningback, and even quarterback at this point. Another position that needs to be addressed depth-wise is the tight end position. We really need a quality tight end opposite Crumpler. Ever since we got Crumps the #2 TE position has been neglected.

One thing is for sure... The Falcons had better not even think about drafting a receiver next year!

Post subject: After watching the Cincy game today!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:20 pm 

Its obvious the biggest need for the Falcon's is corner,webster cannot cut it.Now the only question is if kerney leaves that makes def end a priority so whoever is the better player between corners and def linemen may be the guy to take in the first with the other other position in the second provided there is still quality there.

Kerney is much more effective with ABE in the lineup as any decent end would be.I am thinking Davis can't be that far from kerney as far as getting pressure on the QB.Kerney seems nonexistent out there.

It would be nice to have a player that could play both corner and safety drafted in the first or 2nd. I wonder if Eric Wettle could be a potential pick if landry is gone. I here merriweather with his temper and scuffle the other week as lowered his value so at worst probably a no 2 pick.Could a rookie corner make it starting if the falcon's have a low pick?

Maybe Schaub and falcon's no1 to move up to get a quality corner could be bait enough?Not having pressure against a QB makes your secondary look bad so if a quality def end or corner is there in the first the falcon's need to target the guy!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:01 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Schaub and our #1?????? Are you out of your mind...lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Not really!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:46 am 

Out of my mind,nope! If there is a player head and shoulders above another corner or even def end why not your going to lose schaub anyway and the falcon's if they keep winning will finish in the 20's in the draft. Would you rather have Jason " Toast" Webster out there ? :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Not really!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:08 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

thescout wrote:
Out of my mind,nope! If there is a player head and shoulders above another corner or even def end why not your going to lose schaub anyway and the falcon's if they keep winning will finish in the 20's in the draft. Would you rather have Jason " Toast" Webster out there ? :cry:

It is a question of value...you don't trade someone with that much value AND a #1 just to move up in the draft....second of all there isn't a corner who is eligible to come out worth that much anyway.We just drafted a corner #1. There are some good ones coming out possibly in Free agency....but they will be expensive...it isn't possible in this day and age to pay that high a price to plug every weak area....I love the kid out of Florida, Nelson i believe his name is...but he is more of a safety.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:47 am 

There are some pretty good corners coming out this year from what I hear. Michigan's Leon Hall is probably a Top 10 player at this point. Darrelle Revis (Pittsburgh), Antoine Cason (Arizona) are both juniors and likely to come out, and Marcus McCauley (Fresno State) could be Top 15 picks, but a lot of that will probably depend on how fast they run at the Combine or their Pro Days.

It seems like this is a strong year for DBs, at least near the top.

I watched a bit of the Michigan game this past weekend, and saw a player I'd love to pick up: Jake Long. He's a junior that seems likely to come out and would be the ideal LT. He plays in a zone blocking scheme at UM, is a strong and tough run blocker and solid pass defender. He's a pretty big guy: 6-7/315. Unfortunately, I see him probbaly going in the Top 10-15 picks, since he's probably the 2nd or 3rd best LT potentially in this class. But if he were available, I'd love to have him. He'd be a HOFer under Gibbs teaching.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Just a few thoughts!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:58 am 

Yes there are a few corners that could do well probably in there first year. If I am going to pick as of now obviously I pick the player with the biggest upside but with a need.Remember when the falcon's drafted duckett even though dunn was signed and the falcon's needed a receiver passed on lelie and walker. Well I think those days are behind but seeing wbster get toasted CORNER is the no 1 need if kerney resigns .There probably are 3-4 corners that may go in first.I would love to have mccauley but will see,also Cason.

The second rounder will be whoever has the highest upside def tackle,def end,off linemen or safety.Sorry guys I am a draftnik and its early but just trying to resolve the corner position webster now has and I don't think jimmy williams will cut it at corner.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:06 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

It is becoming more and more apparent that Mora doesn't like playing rookies, especially at critical positions. If we do go corner first...it better be someone that can step in right away...my feelings are that McKay will look for someone on the FA market that can step in right away if/when Webster is released. Still trading Schaub AND a #1 pick to move up is silly, and wouldn't be considered to be a serious proposal in any situation.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: OK !
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:05 pm 

BB, if your planning to get a free agent corner prepare to pay huge dollars to get him.With as many upgrades the falcon's need at other postions or free agents to be(Kerney) the team can't afford to put alot of money at corner since webster already is eating alot of money.So if you can't get a quality corner in free agency do you really think a quality corner will be there at 25 or greater in the first? I doubt it so how do the falcon's move up without giving something of quality and there first? Schaub has value who is could you trade to move up probably top 15? Demorrio? A quality corner even as a rookie has more value than schaub does on the bench ,at least he would be starting.

Also the fact that if you don't trade schaub think of the extra money to keep schaub here who may never play? Its nice having a good backup but there will be players available in free agency that could be backups and cost less than schaub.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: OK !
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:19 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

thescout wrote:
BB, if your planning to get a free agent corner prepare to pay huge dollars to get him.With as many upgrades the falcon's need at other postions or free agents to be(Kerney) the team can't afford to put alot of money at corner since webster already is eating alot of money.So if you can't get a quality corner in free agency do you really think a quality corner will be there at 25 or greater in the first? I doubt it so how do the falcon's move up without giving something of quality and there first? Schaub has value who is could you trade to move up probably top 15? Demorrio? A quality corner even as a rookie has more value than schaub does on the bench ,at least he would be starting.

Also the fact that if you don't trade schaub think of the extra money to keep schaub here who may never play? Its nice having a good backup but there will be players available in free agency that could be backups and cost less than schaub.

Do you insure your car???? your house???? Would you rather pay a little extra to insure you have the best policy, or go cheap and possibly get burned. Sure Schaub may never play, but he knows the system, is a good QB and as we have pointed out before here wouldn't be that expensive to retain. sure the hurricane/tornado may never come, but if it does...i want to be ready.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Insurance yes overpaying no!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:35 am 

BB, yes insurance is excellent to have but why overpay when you can get players for less value? Is Schaub the real deal? How many games has schaub won?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Insurance yes overpaying no!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:36 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

thescout wrote:
BB, yes insurance is excellent to have but why overpay when you can get players for less value? Is Schaub the real deal? How many games has schaub won?

This is conceptual my friend....I think being a draft freak, you just want more picks, the higher the better. I like having picks as well...but giving up Schaub and a #1 just to move up 12-15 slots isn't good management. We will have to agree to disagree.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Mind Freak! Draft Freak!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:49 pm 

Hey BB,the point I was trying to make is if there is a player that is a difference maker you have to go up and get hm.for example if there are 2 corners that above everyone else and corner 3 may have just above average grade why would you not do everything possible to move up to get an impact player? Its still early so if no one really stands head and shoulders above anyone else then I agree stay with the 25th or lower pick,maybe deal schaub for a second rounder(although I know you want to keep him for the geicko insurance policy) :P

Profile E-mail