It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Mock Draft over at NFLDraftCountdown,Falcs take Landry!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:14 am 

Just thought I would let the board know that laron landry is the forecasted pick over at nfldraftcountdown. Would you guys be happy with that? I would impact players are impact players no matter the position.Falcon's need off linemen,def end,def tackle,corner but landry could have an impact like ed reed!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:32 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

as a LSU guy, i would be estatic...but he will be a top 12 pick...so i think (hope) we dont have that bad of a record. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:41 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I just updated the Mock Draft Muncher: http://www.falcfans.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=26

Of the 9 mock drafts that were updated this week, 4 of them have us taking a safety, and each projects a different one: Landry, Griffin, Zbikowski, and Rouse. I'd be happy to have any of them on our team.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:13 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

isnt Zbikowski the Notre Dame Safety?

It would be awesome to get griffin or landry, but we don't really have a need for a safety, at least for a couple of years until Milloy retires. Also something to think about...is Norwood gonna be our future back? s***, i can see us trading up to get Calvin Johnson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:56 pm 

mickvick, I think getting Johnson would require the Falcons trading up to get the #1 pick. And even if Johnson doesn't go #1, he'll likely go in the Top 3 or 5. Which means you can expect a nice fat rookie contract somewhere between $45-60 million. We spent that kind of money on a WR once, and it didn't pan out too well. That sort of money likely makes Johnson immediately the 2nd or 3rd highest paid WR in the NFL.

We definitely have a need at safety. It's not a strong need, but the Falcons would be smart to draft somebody to groom sooner rather than later. Crocker has generally played well, but he hasn't set the world on fire. So we really don't know how long he is going to be a Falcon. He is signed thru 2007, but if he keeps making mistakes like he did last week, then he might not last that long. Milloy of course is as old as dirt, and already has been on a steady decline for 3 or 4 years now. Expecting him to be effective beyond this year or next year is really a stretch. Kevin Mathis is our top backup, a CB playing out of position and might retire after this year.

And that leaves outstanding prospects like Cam Newton and Nick "I couldn't cover an ant with a 40-foot tarp" Turnbull as our developing players. If that idea brings a smile to your face then you're probably the type of person that...well I can't think of a better word besides crazy.

So drafting a safety is something that is high on the totem poll. Besides S, only perhaps OL is of a high enough need that we will use a 1st round pick on it. We could definitely use depth at RB, WR, DE, DT, and CB, but would you think any of those areas are worth using a 1st round pick unless someone really good was there? I mean you can almost rule out WR and CB just because we've spent high picks on those positions over the past 3 years already. If Kerney walks after this season, then DE becomes a stronger likelihood, but if not then we'll probably draft one later. And it's doubtful the Falcons use a #1 on a RB with Norwood already here.

Safety and OL IMO, make the most sense right now as a 1st round pick. But considering we have Gibbs, OL becomes even more doubtful.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:57 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I have to agree with Pudge. The team doesn't have any major needs at the moment, but they will need to address some areas depending on how things play out. Resigning Kerney is going to be key. We cannot allow a player of such caliber and leadership qualities go. After that, I say we need to develop more depth in all areas of the team. Safety would be priority #1 to add someone who can eventually become a difference maker. I wonder where we are with the OL now that we have a few vets up for FA. My inclination is they will probably let Weiner go but hold onto McClure. They may even let him go too if they feel they have someone who can step in and be a reliable starting OC. It's hard to look past their excellent play of late to what decisions must be made later. However, they seem to like Omiyale and Oginnaka, and they might just feel that one of them will be able to step in and protect Vick's blindside. I would feel better with Weiner in there, but who knows - we might have a really solid RT just waiting for their opportunity to shine. I also think that QB, DL, RB, and LB have to be considered in FA or the draft this offseason. Schaub is very likely gone. We should be able to get something nice in return for him, but we will need someone to backup Vick next season if Shockley isn't capable yet. DE is obvious, but DT could be just as important considering if Gravy can go another season at the same level of play. Both areas need better depth, albeit I have enjoyed the last two games watching Babineaux coming into his own. While WR might be set if we get Finn back and maybe find a way to keep Lelie (doubtful though), RB seems to me to be one area where we could look for one more guy to round out the position for the future. Norwood and a slightly bigger back for the dirty work would do nicely. If Demo Williams does in fact want out to find a starting position, we will probably need someone who will be able to come in and backup the WLB position and help on ST. It makes sense because I'm not sure how much longer Reese will keep playing and be a legit backup for Brooking. So there are a few areas of concern, but we have solid talent to build upon. This draft and FA could be one where we move into a position to keep this ship sailing the right direction for the long haul!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:13 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I think PK is a lock to stay, if they give him a fair deal...the hometown discount would appear to be in effect in this situation.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:50 pm 

Also, there is no doubt to this point in the season that Norwood is our runningback of the future. Unless Atlanta wants to draft another hammer-back like Duckett I don't see Atlanta looking at runningback as a draft possibility next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:04 pm 

I think the Falcons may draft a RB late. I think the Falcons are going to take a page from the Broncos, and understand that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to find a RB that can perform in this offense. I know a lot of people really like Marlion Jackson as a potential contributor, but it seems obvious that the front office/coaching staff isn't in love with the guy or he would be protected on the roster rather than open to leave via the practice squad. I also believe we can find a much better player in the latter part of the draft as well.

But of course this depends on whether or not this year's RB class is any good and whether the team settles other issues on the roster. RB is definitely not a need, but I think when you consider Dunn's $10.5 million cap hit in 2007, the RB will be addressed this off-season.

Obviously, the first task will be dealing with Dunn's contract. He is due something like a $4 million roster bonus this off-season, which is more than large enough for the Falcons not to pay. Dunn really hasn't been exceptional in these past 2 games and if Norwood continues to make progress, and Dunn has more average games than good ones the rest of the way, then I don't think the Falcons will keep him. I love Dunn, I know Blank loves Dunn and so does McKay, but you can't make decisions like these with your heart as opposed to your head.

Hopefully however, the Falcons will be able to reduce Dunn's cap hit and keep him at least for 1 more year.

Profile E-mail