Devonta due for a down year?

All things related to the Atlanta Falcons, NFL and pro football related.
Pudge
Site Admin

Devonta due for a down year?

Postby Pudge » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:43 am

http://www.fantasysharks.com/fantasy-fo ... curse-370/

Conclusion: If you are drafting running backs for your fantasy football team, avoid drafting runners who have logged 325+ attempts the previous season! Heading into 2016 that would mean Adrian Peterson and Devonta Freeman can be expected to perform about 23 percent below the league average for running backs (who log more than 50 carries)

Devonta and the Falcons running game's performance this year is one of those X factors for the upcoming season. WHat happens if Freeman gets hurt, and Coleman is put in a position where he's forced to step up and be a RB1 and he doesn't? Then Kyle Shanahan's entire offensive system collapses...unless of course Sanu, Hardy and others step up and are reminiscent of what Roddy, Tony, and others were a few years back and good enough to carry the entire offense through the air.

Through 6 weeks last year (Weeks 3-8), the Falcons had one of hte best running games in the league. But in the other 10 weeks of the season, they literally had the league's worst running game.

Color me skeptical, but I'm not sure the improvements of Coleman and the addition of Alex Mack is gonna erase the fact that the Falcons couldn't effectively run the ball for 63% of last season.

backnblack

Re: Devonta due for a down year?

Postby backnblack » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:16 pm

I paraphrase but as the season heated up last year M. Strahan described Freeman's running style as entertaining but not one conducive to longevity. Pretty much nailed it. He seems a little more like a third down back (remember those?) as opposed to the bell cow (remember those?).

AngryJohnny51

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Right now the Falcons are wasting Julio's prime and what's left of Matt Ryan's talent by keeping Shanahan on as OC. He reeks of arrogance just like his father and hasn't done anything at the NFL level except get fired.

I'd like to the think the Falcons are trending up, but we will be limited with KS and it looks to me like Quinn is in over his head, as much as I had hoped he'd flourish.

backnblack

Postby backnblack » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Blank and Friends keep making the same mistake over and over hiring coaches with no HC experience at the NFL level and--aside from Petrino--HC experience anywhere to my knowledge. They got lucky with Smith who, IMO, has been scapegoated just as all the position coaches were...not to say there was no credence to any complaints. This smacks of arrogance. I'd be shocked if we play .500 ball this year.

dwmyers

Postby dwmyers » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:22 pm

At this point, the only thing that appears to be slowing Devonta down is the insistence on running Tevin a lot more..

D-

Return to “The Huddle”