PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:45 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

KHALIF BARNES

6-5/305
WASHINGTON
1st/2nd round prospect

NFL Draft Insiders wrote:
His grit and determination to play despite the potential problems that could have arisen won the hearts of many teams in attendance...Barnes brings athleticism and leadership to the left tackle spot. The lineman was once used as a wide receiver on a trick play and also held the title of co-captain for the 2004 season...While his play on the field is what will spiral him towards the top of the draft, his character and willingness to work hard will keep him in the NFL for a long time.

Barnes seems to remind me somewhat of Kwame Harris, in that he's big, athletic, and smart. But I think he'd be a good fit here because he's much more aggressive, stemming from his days on defense a few years ago. He's a guy that many have discussed picking possibly at #27 if the right DE is not there, and I don't disagree with that. I think he can immediately come in and make an impact. The question is how seriuos is Gibbs about not taking OL in the 1st round. The Broncos did so with George Foster in 2003, when Gibbs was on the back burner, so we could see the same here in Atlanta.

I think Barnes is a player that will go somewhere between #20 and #35. He could fall into the top of Round 2, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't go within the first 5 or so picks in that round.

At this point, if a guy like Roth or Pollack is not there at #27, I think Barnes may be the best bet with our first pick.

Profile E-mail