It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sammy Watkins
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:35 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Would you be opposed to drafting him and pairing him with Julio and Roddy for Roddy's last few years and longer with Julio? That's only if we can sign some OL and DL help of course in FA. Those are bigger priorities.

Post subject: Re: Sammy Watkins
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We don't have the cap room to really fill the other positions, thus making this a mistake as far as drafting for needs goes. Also we always draft for need, thus there is no way this will happen. He is a nice looking prospect that should help someone rather quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:29 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

If the Falcons address their principle needs on the OL and DL in free agency, I would not be opposed to drafting Sammy Watkins. It would at least end Harry Douglas' death grip on the No. 3 spot. And that's a huge positive.

And yes, we have plenty of cap room. If the Falcons cut the excess fat and restructure some deals (namely Ryan's), they could easily create $30 million or more in cap space. And they wouldn't even need to spend it all. They just need to find young hungry players that are below-market deals on the OL to bolster competition. And the bulk of that money could be spent then to acquire a pass rusher like Michael Bennett, who if given the same deal we gave Ray Edwards is much more capable of living up to it (he actually likes playing football! :shock: )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Blank said in his press conference we will not be drafting a skill position player with our first, and that we need to address the offensive and defensive fronts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:21 pm 

And this is why they fail...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:09 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I don't believe Blank would stop TD & Smith from drafting who they want. I just think he's trying to send a message out to the front office that the two primary areas to improve this offseason should be the offensive and defensive lines to win "the battle at the line of scrimmage." It is highly unlikely for the Falcons to draft Watkins since it is just as unlikely for the Falcons to "add their principle needs on the OL and DL in FA." I'm not saying I would be opposed to it, I just think it's unlikely.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:30 am 

My beef is over the fact that the Falcons offseason strategy is very predictable and IMO flawed.

Whoever they take in the 1st round will be expected to come into camp on Day 1 and be the starter. That has been their calling card for 6 years, and everything Blank said indicates that it will be for a 7th. So the only real question is whether or not that open position will be on the OL or DL. But it means that the Falcons will go the entire offseason without addressing that spot because they are comfortable/confident that they will address it early in the draft. This is why the Falcons did not sign a veteran CB last off-season when there were plenty available, because they were confident that they'd get their man in the draft. It turned out to be Desmond Trufant, so we can say it worked out for them. But what would've happened if this team had signed a veteran, and given themselves the possibility to add a pass rusher in the draft?

I'm all for teams not spending gobs of money in FA, but the problem is that I think you should be scouting players and getting these mid-level guys on the cheap. Unfortunately, the Falcons hardly sign anybody. The past 3 off-seasons, it's been 1-2 signings and that's about it, and none have really been more than mediocre for the team.

They seem to be looking at their "process" or "system" as if it works perfectly fine, and the proof is in the pudding, it doesn't. It doesn't need to be overhauled, just tweaked. But it doesn't sound like it will be.

Profile E-mail