It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL Draft Almanac's View on the Falcons picks
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:30 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Hey guys, I have started working with NFL Draft Almanac. My analysis on the Falcons picks:
http://www.nfldraftalmanac.com/index.php?c=3&a=652
Quote:
Round 2 (37 overall) - Jimmy Williams, Cornerback from Virginia Tech
Analysis - Atlanta trades up and gets Jimmy to be the new Right Cornerback and complement to DeAngelo Hall after a year or maybe even before then. He should do a solid job from day one as the nickel corner and should be an improvement over Jason Webster in the long run. I felt he was a top 20 prospect in this draft and to get him at #37 is a steal.
Grade - A+

Round 3 (79 overall) - Jerious Norwood, Running Back from Mississippi State
Analysis - Jerious Norwood was a very good pick but was also somewhat of a head scratcher with Ko Simpson and Darnell Bing still on the board. Norwood is obviously the future at running back though and he should be a good player in the Falcons running game, which loves down hill runners with breakaway speed. Still, this seems like it was a slight reach.
Grade - B-

Round 5 (139 overall) - Quinn Ojinnaka, Tackle from Syracuse
Analysis - He is a good tackle for a Zone Blocking Scheme. But one would wonder why Atlanta would pass on John Scott. Overall it comes off as a great scheme fit and an overall decent pick.
Grade - B-

Round 6 (184 overall) - Adam Jennings, Wide Receiver from Fresno State
Analysis - Adam Jennings being taken here over Greg Eslinger or Mark Setterstrom is mind-boggling. I understand that Atlanta values special teams but this move just seems like a huge reach.
Grade - D

Round 7 (223 overall) - D.J. Shockley, Quarterback from Georgia
Analysis - Shockley could have been a 5th rounder had he started more than just one year at UGA. He is a good QB who makes smart decisions and should be a decent backup once Schaub is gone.
Grade - A+

Overall Grade - B, Atlanta has made a lot of strides this off season with the acquisitions of Crocker, Milloy and Abraham, but this solid, yet unspectacular draft will help them more in the long run.