It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VT - Pitt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:28 am 
Superstar
Superstar

:mrgreen: four letter word U @ Noon.

What say you Pudge? VT D has been as advertised, O still needs a lot of gelling imo.

Post subject: Re: VT - Pitt
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:10 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well if Pitt plays like they have the first two weeks, the Tech is going to go to roll fairly easily in this one by 30, 40 points?

We're just not a well-coached team, nor do we have enough playmakers at key positions.

:doh:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:22 pm 

I have to say I'm absolutely floored by the outcome of this game. Pitt looked like a team that was going to struggle to win 3 games this year with their performances the first 2 weeks of hte season.

Then they come out and just flat out out-physical Virginia Tech for 4 quarters. This is the Pitt team I was hoping/expecting to see when the season began. There were some shades of Wisconsin-style football.

With Shell and Isaac Bennett, we have the RBs for a couple of years that if we can get the O-line up to snuff, we might have something with Chryst.

And of course, Tino played the best game I've ever seen him play and looked like a competent college QB.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think I just now got over this whooping. Seriously. Haven't seen tech blown of BOTH l.o.s. that badly in quite some time. We were so flat emotionally too it was a joke. I don't know if they thought pitt sucked b/c of the prev week, but prob didn't help. Thoroughly outcoached, on both sides of the ball too (that never happens on D either). One underrated pt, its huge, about 4 starters are playing at D positions they shouldn't b/c were so thin in the 2ndary, and when Fuller went out that domino killed us. The O still has no identity and has too many newbies, esp at skill positions. The oline should be able to blow pep of the ball run game wise, but for some odd reason is better pass blking. We do a million different things, but none particularly well. We def don't have a top tier RB, and it shows, and we had such an epic run there that now it really shows. We are a mile wide and an inch deep. I hate our pass tree, and the plays are too predictable. I may be rambling thought wise, but iiwii. What I'm hangin my hat on now if tech almost always improves over the coarse of a season, almost by each game. We always have a crazy sept loss, so thats par for the coarse. I will say this in general looks like a weaker overall vt team than we've had recently. We miss a lot of those seniors from last year and Wilson. At this pt, I don't think we can win the acc unless all these younguns get up to speed better and that vaunted dline actually starts pitching a fit consistently. At least we get fsu home thur night, but i'm not optomistic.

As for Pitt, I would think you're highly encouraged for the future. Seemlingly good coach, Wisconsin'esque o gameplan. Nice varied play call mix, kept us offbalance all day. Run, run and get nice play action/pass plays. Nice duo at rb, nice TE. Hard to believe thats the best game that qb ever played, but iiwii. I guess its nice to have an invested coach now too, which you all have been missing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:28 pm 

You're right about Tech always getting better in the 2nd half of the year and dropping one early. At least in past years, the excuse was they were vs. Bama or Boise, not a PItt team.

I was not high on Chryst after watching the previous outings. Pitt just didn't look like a well-coached team, and it looked like Chryst was out of his element trying to handle an entire team and not just an offense. But this game was what I was expecting to see. Watching those 2 early games, we looked like a 3-8 team on a team that IMO has at least 6-6 talent if not more. Maybe Chryst turns things around and gets us back to the 6-6 level.

Profile E-mail