It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saban called out
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... ncaaf.html

Quote:
When pressed about Saban, Cindrich used him as an example of the landscape of college football — though he didn't claim to be directly involved in any illicit dealings recently, nor offered any specifics from what he says he was involved in. When he was asked if Alabama players were being paid he said "Oh, come on.

"When you get these guys down and you get them under oath, they'll tell you that. Sure.

"The statute of limitations has probably run as far as any criminality was involved to what I was relating to Saban, but I was involved in it," Cindrich said. "I know what he tried to do. I know what he tried to cover up. If he wants to stand up and say something, I'll bring that up. If it's out of time, I'll go to the nearest agent I know, and I'll bring up about a dozen things that are in time, because that's the way he and most of the big-time schools, particularly in the SEC, operate."

Pay-for-play accusations always raise eyebrows, even though they've become fairly commonplace. Will this go anywhere? Until Cindrich offers specifics, likely not.

Post subject: Re: Saban called out
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:44 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The worst kept secret in college sports is that everybody cheats. While reputedly clean programs like Virginia Tech and Penn State (as far NCAA regulations go) show that while you can play at a high level and remain clean, there is a firm glass ceiling on just how good you can be. Sure, you can be a national title contender maybe 1 or 2 years per decade, but if you want to be a program like Bama, USC, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Oregon, etc. that is competing each and every year, you're probably going to have to break some rules. Stanford was an exception because they recruited what was arguably a once in a generation QB to their school. But now that Luck is gone, is Stanford going to remain an elite program like they've been the past 2 years? Probably not. If they do a good job, they'll remain an upper tier and BCS bowl caliber program for the majority of the next 5-7 years, but are they going to get another shot at the national title like they've potentially had the past 2 years? Hell no.

And the funny thing is that the NCAA is quick to lay the hammer down on a school like Penn State, who as far as I know didn't break any NCAA regulations, yet lets known/suspected cheaters essentially walk. Cam Newton's dad allegedly asks for 6 figures...nothing comes out of it. Chip Kelly pays a guy in Texas $15,000 to bring a kid to Oregon...nada. It takes the NCAA 2+ years to investigate and lay down the law with the Reggie Bush thing.

Politics, man.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
The worst kept secret in college sports is that everybody cheats. While reputedly clean programs like Virginia Tech and Penn State (as far NCAA regulations go) show that while you can play at a high level and remain clean, there is a firm glass ceiling on just how good you can be. Sure, you can be a national title contender maybe 1 or 2 years per decade

Yeah I'd echo all that. Thats why I'd love for VT to put together another one of those seasons (its been since 99), given they've got back a suffocating D and LT. I'm not sure that three game streach in our schedule will let us have that type of year, but you never know. The above is also why no team in the sec would ever care about cleaning up the rules, b/c they do better with the current system (which is little to none). Ie. USC, Ohio St., Oregon, UNC In this example, it actually does pay to cheat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:21 pm 

widetrak21 wrote:
it actually does pay to cheat.

Which was the point I was trying to make about a school hiring Butch Davis. There is no real deterrent to not be dirty. Look at USC, 2 yr. bowl ban over the Reggie BUsh situation, and guess what? They are the #1 ranked team in the country.

There is too much money being flying around that the incentive to cheat is as large as it has ever been. If by breaking a few NCAA rules and regulations here and there means that you can potentially rake in another $3, $5, $10, or $20 million each year?

They NCAA doesn't have the balls to lay down the death penalty anymore, and it takes them years to actually investigate anything. Meanwhile, your school made $40 million in the meantime, and then even if you get sanctions, you're still making MILLIONS of dollars because of the new TV contracts. Oh no, because the NCAA laid down the law, we're only making $12 million in profits this year. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
They NCAA doesn't have the balls to lay down the death penalty anymore, and it takes them years to actually investigate anything.

Exactly, b/c if UNC didn't just get the death penalty, then when would they ever give it?? Its not a prestigous scared cow football school, like a Miami who also deserves it, but then you're dealing with that backlash. So that was an optimal time to death penalty a program that they could "get away" with. Act like they care. When you fake create 54 classes just to pass football players, how is that not "lack of institutional control"?? What else would fall under that umbrella?

There next opp is either Miami, who seriously need to be shut down. It would help the acc, but that program has been on this road for going on 3 decades since Dexter Manly. Its even stupider when they acted like Randy Shannon was doing such, but then thats a joke once you found out about the booster Shapiro. Now Golden is in more trouble for keeping the dirty recuiter from the Shannon era. Its a joke. But you and I both know, they'll lose a few schollies and be back at some pt like USC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

It wouldn't help the acc,