It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: With the 55th pick of the NFL Draft.......
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Fleener is a beast if e is available at 55 it should be a no brainer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-pro-day/

Coby Fleener creates buzz at Stanford Pro Day

Posted by Evan Silva on March 22, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT

Getty Images
Quarterback Andrew Luck is the headliner at Thursday’s Stanford Pro Day, but tight end Coby Fleener stole the early spotlight by ripping up the track and testing well throughout his workout.

Multiple reports had Fleener running in the mid-4.4s in the forty. ESPN’s Todd McShay had Fleener at 4.45, and so did CBS’ Bruce Feldman.

Mayock’s stopwatch read 4.51, but it’s still a very fast time for a 6-foot-6, 247-pound human being.

“That is flying at 247,” said Mayock. Mayock also reported that Fleener had a 37-inch vertical and broad jump north of 10-feet. “They’re extremely athletic numbers,” Mayock added. “Those are defensive back, wide receiver-type numbers.”

For comparison, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski ran 4.65 with the wind and 4.73 against the wind at Arizona’s 2010 Pro Day. Gronkowski is the same height as Fleener, and 11 pounds heavier. But Fleener is much faster in a straight line.

In PFT’s first mock draft of the 2012 offseason, Fleener was the 29th overall pick.

Post subject: Re: With the 55th pick of the NFL Draft.......
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well with those numbers, we've got a snowballs chance in hades, esp with any sort of comparison to Gronk. In hindsight (and I know he was hurt) he could have been a legit top 10 pick.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:42 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Not everybody needed hindsight to figure that Gronkowski would be really good:

Some Know-It-All wrote:
NFL FORECAST: Like Gresham, it's been a while since Gronkowski has seen the field. But unlike Gresham, Gronkowski is a more natural receiver that his effort is apparent when he's on the field. He's got the big, tall frame, and strong hands to be a valuable and reliable option in the passing game. He is never going to be a great blocker, but with improved technique, he can be a competent inline blocker that won't be a liability by any means. He has the potential to be an elite tight end because he's a natural playmaker and reliable option in the passing game that will be a good security blanket for a quarterback. He's the type of guy that can be a matchup nightmare and dominate defenses at the next level. The only real drawback with him is the injury concern and whether his back will be a lingering issue beyond this year.

ATL FORECAST: Gronkowski would be a great option to succeed Gonzalez. He is a similar player to Gonzalez in that he is a potentially dynamic option in the passing game, but can be underwhelming at times as a blocker. But Gronkowski should be a better blocker than Gonzalez because he's bigger. Whether he could be quite as good an option in the passing game as Gonzalez is remains to be seen, but he'd be a very good option for Ryan and with time could be just as effective as Gonzalez is. With his youth and better blocking ability, one could argue that he would actually be an upgrade over Gonzalez at this point in his career. He would be a Pro Bowl player and a long-time fixture in the Falcons offense.

VALUE: He's a Top 15 talent, but the team doctors will have to determine just how much of an issue his back is. If it's not a significant obstacle, then he should be a solid first round pick for some team. If the back might be an issue, then you're safer drafting him in the middle of the second round.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12273

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:03 am 
Superstar
Superstar

widetrak21 wrote:
Well with those numbers, we've got a snowballs chance in hades, esp with any sort of comparison to Gronk. In hindsight (and I know he was hurt) he could have been a legit top 10 pick.

Well there are not a lot of teams in need of a TE in the first round so if he makes it to the 2nd there is a possibility that we will be able to grab him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:54 pm 

I think the Falcons will have to go up and get a guy like Fleener.

I think the 49ers are going to take him at pick #29. Between them, the Giants (#32), Colts (#34), Dolphins (#42), Chargers (#49), Bears (#50) are all TE needy teams that it's IMHO extremely doutbful Fleener lasts all the way to #55. Neither him or Allen will probably last that long. In my latest mock, I have the Colts taking Allen at #34.

I think the DUI by Orson Charles will probably scare away enough teams that he'll likely be there at #55. The question then becomes did that DUI scare away the Falcons. I guess we'll have an idea if the Falcons are "black dot happy" if they X Charles off their board.

But I do think the Falcons will take the TE they perceive to be the best on the board. I think they'd prefer Charles over someone like Ladarius Green who can't block. And DeAngelo Peterson is a talented player that I think has similar upside to a player like Charles, but could probably be had in Round 3.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:26 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
I think the 49ers are going to take him at pick #29.

This is what I thought too, then they cat New England you with Davis and Fleener. Trust me, Harbaugh knows how to run that TE heavy scheme better than Belichick/O'Brien. 2 years ago at Stanford, that could have been a clinic in that offense most games. Damn I wish we had a dude like Harbaugh with some guts and innovation. Every stop he's crafted his schemes to fit the talent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:18 pm 

Agreed on your points about Harbaugh. He knows what he wants his offense to be, and has gone about designing a scheme, and acquiring the personnel to implement it.

You had previous coaches invest high picks in the O-line. Staley was a #1 pick and Rachal a #2 under Nolan. Iupati & Davis were #1 picks under Singletary. Now they've added Manningham and Moss to give them the vertical element on the outside that was missing in guys like Crabtree, Morgan, etc. Davis is a killer in the middle of the defense.

It really works hand in hand. Because now it challenges the safeties. Do they stay in the middle to deal with Davis, or do they play over the top to prevent Manningham/Moss from hitting them deep. Couple that with Fleener, and they have the makings of what can be a very dynamic vertical passing attack, which complements very well with their physical ground game which can draw up the safeties.

The only question now becomes do they have the QB to make that offense work.

Yet the Falcons don't really have an identity offensively. Their personnel is geared more towards a dink and dunk spread attack, because outside Jones, nobody is really a great vertical receiver in Gonzo, White, and Douglas. All are at their best running those 5-15 yard (i.e. shorter) routes. And Jones with his size and YAC skills also makes him potentially adept on those routes as well (like Andre Johnson).

Coupled that without having a really physical ground attack because of a lackluster O-line and a decrepit RB, they can't really make the vertical attack work. Instead, their personnel fits better with a Saints-esque spread attack which features a lot of 3 and 4-wide sets (Gonzo like Jimmy Graham should be more of a WR than a true inline TE), and they should be lining up Quizz & Snelling in single-back sets much like the Saints do with Sproles and their RBs.

And people think Matt Ryan is the primary reason why the offense doesn't reach its full potential.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:56 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The Falcons will trade away this pick to move up 10-20 positions, probably giving up too much to do so. There's my prediction :hand: :hand: