It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kiper has his Mock Draft for 4 rounds my thoughts!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:35 am 

I subscribe to ESPN Insider don't hate me because of it! :) I just looked at Kiper's selections for the Falcon's for the 2-3 rounds and I was a bit surprised who he had them taken.No not a bit but alot surprised and if it ended up with these players I am about to name I will be upset.

The selections are:

2.Cedric Griffin - I could see that happen,Griffin is a very prospect and would solve a corner position and depth.Players passed on are Brian Calhoun,Daniel Bullocks,Mathias Kiwanuka, Ko Simpson,Maurice Drew,Paul Mcqustan.
3.Calvin Lowery - safety Penn State ..I didn't know who he was until I looked him up. Very intelligent safety from penn state is agressive but according to NFL Countdown may be a backup in the pros. Now why on earth would you draft for a backup unless you thought he could start. Players who were passed: Paul Mcquistan,Will Blackmon,
Montavious Stanley,Darnell Bing,
3. Devin Aromashodu - who's he? He's from Auburn a player who plays faster than he times good leaper but doesn't have good route running,a receiver. Why would you draft a receiver at no3 when you have just resigned Finn have Jenkins and White and the Falcon's have other pressing needs. Players passed on: Alan Zematis,Elvis Dumervil,Demario Minter,Rodrigue Wright(Wright was taken with the Cleveland pick we gave up to Browns for Crocker),Greg Eslinger,John Mcgargo,Daryn Colledge.

Here are a few players I were surprised in what rounds Kiper had them taken:

1.Ko Simpson - top of 3rd round
2Darryn Colledge Bottom of 4th round
3.Rob Sims - bottom of 4th round
4.Greg Eslinger Middle of 4th round
5.Bernard Pollard bottom of 4th round
6.Omar Jacobs - last pick 4th round
7.Jonathan Scott - middle of 4th round
8.Elvis Dumervil top of 4th round

Overall I don't know what Kiper is smoking but I think Falcon fans would have a stroke if round 3 turns out to be Kiper's picks. With the needs of off line,def tackle how do you pass on the players mentioned. Fortunatly Kiper isn't always right so will see what happens!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:55 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I happened to do a 7-round mock myself last night.

Griffin IMO, is a Cover-2 cornerback. Put him in a man-heavy scheme, and he's going to struggle and never be anything more than a decent nickel back. BUt for any team that likes it corners to play a lot of zone and tackle (Like the Bucs), then he could be a solid starter for them like a Brian Kelly. He would be a poor fit here in Atlanta. I have him going in Round 3 to Detroit.

Lowry seems to be a decent safety prospect from everything I have read about him. BUt he's nothing special. I have him going in the 6th round in my mock draft, so he would be a major reach that early IMO. I don't think he's as good a prospect as Etric Pruitt was, who went in Round 6.

I have the feeling the Falcons could draft a WR on Day 1. It just depends on who is there. Aromashodu is a guy that due to his workouts has moved up from a middle round pick (5th or so) to a possible late 2nd rounder. I have him going at the end of Round 3 to Tampa Bay. He's a pretty good prospect, but I'm always weary of guys that manage to jump entire rounds in terms of their stock come March. If you're considered a middle rounder through February, but then Combines come and you jump to becoming a 1st day or 2nd round pick that tells me that the tape says you're not that good, but you're a workout warrior. I think 75% of a prospect's grade should be what they showed on tape (10% being All-Star games, 10% being Combine, and 5% being Campus workouts). IMO, if the Falcons are going to go after a WR it's going to be one of the big guys that can block, namely Stovall in Round 2 or Hank Baskett out of New Mexico.

Here's how the Falcons draft ended up with my 7-rounder:

2. Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno State
3a. Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA
3b. Anthony Smith, S, Syracuse
5. Hank Baskett, WR, New Mexico
6. Drew Olson, QB, UCLA
7. Willie Hall, OT, Middle Tennessee State

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:07 pm 

Another player the Falcons would be served well in drafting is Mike Haas out of Oregon State. He lead the PAC 10 in receiving last year I believe but becuase he's coming out of Oregon State he won't get much love in the draft.

Mike Haas: 6'1", 208lbs, 23 Years old
2003: 1,013 Yards Receiving, 7 TD's
2004: 1,379 Yards Receiving, 7 TD's
2005: 1,532 Yards Receiving, 6 TD's

He is very much like Finneran only with more talent and of course 4" shorter. He could be the second coming of Ed McAffery. A huge plus on his draft dockett is ability to adjust to poorly thrown passes. Might be a plus for Vick if his accuracy remains hit & miss.

Post subject: Some comments!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:37 pm 

I don't know alot about Haas I will have to read up on him. As far as the draft picks Kiper has I have to agree with Pudge Griffin would be a 3rd round pick in my book and certainly someone I would be disappointed with in the 2nd round when there should be players at corner that are better if the Falcs go there. Marshall would be a no brainer as the 2nd rounder but I believe he will be gone by the pick.

I think we all agree corners are hard to find so the question would be do you draft a corner higher since there are so few of them that are quality over someone who has a higher ceiling also at a need position.I am thinking Daniel Bullocks can play both free/strong safety and would be groomed to take over and I think he could be a pro bowler.I would hope Mckay is brighter than that and don't draft someone because there are few left.

I also like Stovall,he's a big target came from a good program and I think could be a nice target.I watched a segment on him and he certainly has a very good work ethic. If he were there in the 3rd round I wouldn't be upset at taken him even though we need other positions more. I think Kiper is way off base on our picks luckily he doesn't draft for the Falcon's.

The way to build a team is to make every pick count and don't overlook positions for years(off line). Before you know it everyone is either to old or about to play out there option and you need an entire new line. The Pats last yr draft Mankins and another player both started and did well.I hope Mckay takes that approach other wise we could have a quality defense but still the offense struggles and we wait yr after yr to rebuild.This is another reason I wish Mckay would have traded Schaub but only for a good price,say 2 second rounders or a 1st and 3rd this yr not next. The way sports is today your window of opportunity exists for only so long and if vick were injured Schaub isn't going to take you to a super bowl.I mean those who make the argument he'll be another farve or brady lets also remember it only happens once in a blue moon and coaching staffs sooner or later if they don't get the job done will be gone and the Falcon's will have to start over with another philoshpy and more yrs to wait and wait.

Profile E-mail