It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OL Prospect: Doug Buckles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:03 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think I'm going to start posting excerpts from player evaluations from various draft sites. Currently I have subscriptions to The Huddle Report, NFL Draft Scout, and NFL Draft Insiders (2 of which came free! :) ). I'm not going to post complete player profiles, but just excerpts I think are interesting. I think I'll kick it off with O-linemen, then move to D-linemen, LBs, DBs, or whomever. If you guys see a player that you think would be a good fit in Atlanta, by all means you can post as well.

The first player I'm posting is Doug Buckles, a guard out of Mississippi. Most contend Buckles is a 6th or 7th round prospect. I found this evaluation from NFL Draft Scout, and their preseason evaluation. IMO, it sounds like exactly the type of player that Gibbs wants. We have done a lot of talking about which type of OTs the Falcons are likely to select in the draft, but haven't really mentioned the guards. Well, here's one:

NFL Draft Scout about his character wrote:
On the field, he is classified as being “damn nasty.” He will fight, kick and claw to win. He does have to pushed at times, but flourishes with hard coaching. Doug comes from a good familiy that is very supportive. He is a smart player that studies the game and understands well. He has had a few fights in practice and off the field that needs further review (charged with fighting during the 2003 summer and was forced to perform community service), but has that “yes sir, no sir” attitude. The coaches have never complained about his character.

Buckles is listed at about 6-5/305, and he will be at the Combine next week.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Junius Coston Center draft sleeper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:42 pm 

Strengths: Has been a dominant player at his level...Great size and strength...Hard worker with the drive to improve...Quick and agile...Versatile.
Weaknesses: Low level of competition is a major concern...Lacks experience...Needs a lot of work on his technique...Gets by on his physical tools at the Division I-AA level.
Notes: A raw prospect with good tools and potential...One of the top sleepers in this draft.

Pudge since you brought this player to my attention I am going to keep an eye out for him and hope the falcon's have him in mind.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Joe Berger off tackle Michigan Tech a top sleeper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:45 pm 

Strengths: Has good height and the frame to get bigger...Good athlete and moves well...Very strong...Has been dominant at his level...Team leader and captain...Still has a lot of upside and potential.
Weaknesses: Has to get stronger for the next level...Must pack on some pounds...Raw and will need a lot of work and good coaching...Didn't play against top competition.
Notes: One of the top sleeper tackles prospects in the Draft...Has a lot of work to do physically but could be a nice developmental prospect.

Looks kind of thin but has room to put on weight.Reading the remarks good athlete,dominant at his level and alot of upside would look good with the falcon's needing off tackles.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Eric Ghiaciuc Center another sleeper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:48 pm 

Strengths: Has good size and the frame to add some weight...Has long arms...Athletic, mobile and moves well...Very smart and has what it takes mentally to make it...Still improving and has a lot of potential.
Weaknesses: Needs to hit the weight room and get bigger and stronger...Is inconsistent and needs to work on his technique...Plays too tall...Is not very powerful and won't jolt defenders.
Notes: Raw prospect who needs to be developed physically but has some tools...Prospect with a lot of upside who could end up being a steal for someone if he can put some more meat on his bones.

I would rather have Coston but anoher player to keep an eye on .

Profile E-mail