It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maurice Drew
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:35 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Here's some info from Drew on his visit with the Falcons:

The Falcons were the first team I worked out with. They run the same type of offense that we run at UCLA, so I was already familiar with the terminology. In football, if you can speak the same language on Day 1, you're already ahead of the game. I wouldn't have to learn a new system at all and could just concentrate on adjusting to the speed of the game and the other nuances of the NFL.

The Falcons had me catch a lot of passes, as opposed to just doing run routes. What was funny was that they stood about 3 yards from me and just drilled the ball into me. I would stand facing the coach and he'd throw it. Or I'd have my back to him and turn around and he'd fire it in to me. I guess Michael Vick throws the ball pretty hard so they were trying to duplicate that. We also ran a bunch of running plays and protections. It was interesting and I had a good time with them.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9363659

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:05 pm 

Sounds like Maurice Drew is the best fit for our offense based off that statement. The only real question is whether or not he will be succesful at the NFL level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:33 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

He'll be successful in this scheme, offense, and behind this line. I would have little doubt that barring injuries, Drew would be on about the same plane as Dunn has been in recent years. I couldn't say that about every team he could potentially play for, but I think in Atlanta, Denver, Houston, and now possibly Green Bay, who all run the same blocking scheme, he has the vision and speed to really be good. He's a poor man's Reggie Bush.

Profile E-mail