It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maybe the NCAA should get invovled
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:11 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well I woke up to news that Pitt coach Todd Graham has taken the gig to Arizona State. It's a shame really. Not heartbroken over the loss, but just disappointed.

It's been suggest before, but now that it's "hit home," I'm a much firmer backer of this propostion, which is for head coaches to somehow be penalized for jumping ship midstream.

Players are forced to sit out a year if they transfer to a different school, why can't coaches be forced to do the same. I think there could/should be exceptions such as if a coach is in the last or penultimate year in their contract, then they can jump ship without consequence, but any other time, they would be able to accept a job, but would have to be forced to sit and watch for at least 12 months after their hire. Maybe you allow them to be active in recruiting if that was possible to monitor and the like. If a team did this, then they would essentially be forced to have to appoint someone else to be the interim head coach for 12 months, which seems like a huge hassle.

Ultimately this would lead to schools ultimately opting to only hire assistants, or giving their own coaches more time before moving on. The negative of course would be it could/would create a lot of lame duck coaches across the nation, but to me it seems like it's the only way to deter this from happening as often as it does. Also this wouldn't applied to coaches that have been fired, and thus you might get the rare case of a coach purposefully trying to get fired (thus tanking or doing bad stuff) to try and take a better gig elsewhere.

But I think the benefits outweight the costs, because it gives more assistants opportunities to become head coaches, and would also force coaches to commit to their programs rather than using them as springboards to better gigs. You also don't jerk the players around as much, because when a recruit commits to a school where the coach has a 5 year contract, he's fairly certain that short of that coach getting fired, he'll be around for at least 3 years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Maybe the NCAA should get invovled
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Wow I hadn't heard that...

Quote:
Players are forced to sit out a year if they transfer to a different school, why can't coaches be forced to do the same.

I agree, you'll looooooooooooooooooove this nugget I heard last week. So teams like OSU, Miami and UNC are still awaiting their penalties from the ncaa. All three deserved to be smacked back into the stone age, esp the two acc schools. Miami and UNC, one day somebody should write an in-depth tell all book, it would be fascinating, peeking behind the curtain of Oz so to speak. Problem is the ncaa is still an inept, understaffed bunch of sheep in sheep's clothing.

My point...they're allowing OSU to have a DUAL STAFF right now. Old dude coaches the bowl game, Urban Meyer is already allowed be at OSU in a dual staff roll....so he can what......drumroll........................RECRUIT! I don't imagine I have to flesh this one out, thats just wrong on EVERY level imaginable. Other than coaching, recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. Instead of smacking them, they give them a special favor :down: :roll: :roll: :roll: !!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 72132.html

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/12/pitt-jo ... ools-radar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:roll: see what I mean...

By Jared Shanker
ESPN Recruiting Nation
Archive

For the last several months, Noah Spence's plan was to make an announcement at the Under Armour All-America Game. And up until three weeks ago, Ohio State wasn't going to be one of the hats on the table.

On Sunday, during an official visit to Ohio State, though, Spence, a five-star defensive end ranked No. 4 overall nationally, committed to the Buckeyes -- the program's third ESPNU 150 commit in just a week.

Noah Spence committed to Ohio State, which wasn't even on his radar until new coach Urban Meyer contacted him.

"It just felt right -- the family atmosphere, the great coaches," Spence said shortly after leaving the Ohio State campus. "The players want to win and the coaches want to win, and they're trying to build something that I want to be a part of. ...

"I wanted to get it out the way. It felt right, so, you know, why not?"

Before the season, Spence (Harrisburg, Pa./Bishop McDevitt) named a top seven, and Ohio State wasn't on the list. Penn State was the favorite to land him, but the child sex-abuse scandal at the university jumbled Spence's leaderboard as new teams began to enter the fold.

Still, Ohio State didn't become a factor until Urban Meyer was named coach on Nov. 28, and Meyer got in touch with Spence shortly after he was hired. Spence had never visited Ohio State before this weekend.

"I wasn't really into them a lot," Spence said. "As I got to learn about the staff and what they're trying to do and how close it is to my home, it felt like a fit."

Throughout his recruitment, Spence maintained whichever school he chose had to feel like a second home; Spence is one of nine sons to Greg and Helen Spence. During his official visit, Spence said it was the non-football discussions with the Buckeyes staff that sold him.

"Everyone was talking about their own families and everything like regular people," Spence said. "Everything wasn't about football. That made me feel comfortable. ...

"It wasn't so much what (the coaches) were saying. It was the players who pretty much matched with what the coaches were saying. It wasn't like it was fake or anything."

As with ESPNU 150 defensive lineman Se'Von Pittman and Tommy Schutt, who committed Dec. 12, the Buckeyes staff alleviated any fears Spence had about looming NCAA sanctions.

"We believe everything will work out fine," Greg Spence said. "There won't be any long-term repercussions."

From the beginning, Spence was never a fan of the recruiting process and routinely avoided calls from college coaches during his senior season, and he said he is relieved the process has come to a close as he doesn't believe he will make any other visits.

"I can see where I'm going to be at for the next four years," Spence said. "I'll always have my family at McDevitt, but now I'll be building a new family and help a new family out."

Spence is the Buckeyes' first five-star commitment and 19th overall. Since Nov. 17, the Buckeyes have landed four ESPNU 150 prospects, beginning with Adolphus Washington and ending this week with Pittman, Schutt and Spence.

Jared Shanker covers Midwest recruiting. He can be reached at jshankerespn@gmail.com.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:08 pm 

You know what widetrak, I've managed to get by all these years by just ignoring the sorry state of affairs that exist in college football. I don't know even why I tried to grow a conscious by posting this thread. Better just to turn off the brain, so stuff like this can't bother you anymore.

Ignorance is bliss. :hihi: :whistle:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:14 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well you'll certainly stay more saine that way :mrgreen: ! The entity that is VT football unfortunately won't let me quit hoping... :pray:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- Here's another piece of cynical pie. So in essense no post season in 2012 and the lost of 2.6 scholarships per year for three years. JOKE! The recruiting advantage they have been receiving already offsets the postseason ban, as most kids redshirt and don't care about 2012 anyway, kids in the program are stuck and won't sit out a year to just play postseason in 2012. 2.6 scholarships out of oversigning universities that will go upwards of 25-30, is again a big, big joke.

I don't care much about tosu sanctions, the acc one's are what I'm verrrry interested in. But really, the above is a joke. UNC and Miami's violations were much worse, but at this point I'm definitely not holding my breathe.

----------------------

The NCAA today stunned Ohio State University’s football program by banning it from postseason play after the 2012 season, multiple sources told The Dispatch.

The penalty means Ohio State automatically is out of the running for any bowl, or a Big Ten or national championship next year, just as newly appointed head coach Urban Meyer is wooing recruits to the Buckeyes.

Athletic Director Gene Smith said previously that while Ohio State has been declared a repeat violator that failed to properly monitor its football program, a bowl ban would be out of line with penalties handed to universities with similar violations.

In its ruling to be made public this afternoon, the NCAA Committee of Infractions will levy the bowl ban and two other penalties on top of the ones the university already imposed on itself, the sources said. The NCAA will:

* Strip four more football scholarships over the next three years on top of Ohio State’s prior forfeiture of five scholarships over that span.

* Add an additional year of probation to OSU’s self-imposed two-year probation for the football program, meaning any violations through the 2013 season could draw harsher-than-normal penalties.

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stor ... eport.html