It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top 25 Sleepers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:15 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/sleepers.html

NFL Draft Countdown unveiled its list of the Top 25 sleepers in this year's draft. With the basic requirement being going to a small school.

Some names jump out for me. McPherson is the first. Although I haven't had the pleasure of watching him in the AFL, I just have this feeling that he's going to be a good player. Maybe not a great guy, but I think some team that can give him a few years development may strike gold. Of course, its doubtful this will be the Falcons.

Vincent Jackson is another name. He's a guy I think will move to TE in the NFL, much like Mikhael Ricks, Billy Miller, and Teyo Johnson. Teams will love to match his athleticism at TE rather than WR. It will be interesting to see how big he is at the Combine. I think if he shows up at 230 or bigger, teams will be lookign to convert him to TE. Especially if he doesn't run under a 4.55 or 4.6 in the 40. That's very quick for a TE. Crump for comparison's sake ran a 4.78, but wasn't considered to have "elite" speed, but just enough.

Michael Roos is another name worth mentioning. I'm seeing/hearing from some sources that's he moving up boards. Again, measurements will help confirm this. He seems like a player that is what Gibbs likes, but he may not have the mean streak. He's a guy that was probably a 5th/6th rounder a month ago, but may move up into the first day come April. We'll see.

Boomer Grigsby made the list, and he's been a guy a few have mentioned as a possible 4th round pick at MLB. Junius Coston is a name worth keeping an eye on. Gibbs seems to love guys that are centers but have the size/strength/athleticism to play OG or OT. Coston seems like a guy that has that versatility that Gibbs likes. Some are putting him as the #4 center ahead of Vince Carter. I think if the Falcons took him, he'd likely be moved outside to OT.

The last 2 names I'll throw in the hat are Dan Connolly and Joe Berger. Both are undersized OTs that played against lesser competition. It looks like a good bet that the Falcons might take one or both in the late rounds. They are developmental types, but if the Falcons can nab a quality OT in Round 3 or 4 (which is where I think they are targetting them), then we may have to wait a few rounds until we hear one of these guys' name called.

Profile E-mail