It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ACC adds Pitt & SU
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

... for obvious basketball reasons (although pitt has great football tradition), which is a big shift from all the football driven talk. ACC just took back its best basketball conf tag now. This was an out of hte box, proactive move that I think I like but need to thin kabout more as I just read and noticed.

WELCOME Pudge! Now you don't have to watch the Big East burned down around you!

http://vteffect.tumblr.com/post/1036517 ... racuse-and

Post subject: Re: ACC adds Pitt & SU
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:18 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Honestly, for basketball, Pitt moving to the Big 10 was the best thing for the program. Pitt just doesn't recruit on the level to really compete with the UNCs and Dukes of the world in b-ball. They can go toe to toe with teams like Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois, etc.

For football, the ACC is better because we cannot compete football wise against Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. And joining the ACC re-opens the Florida pipeline that was growing in the earlier part of this decade. Unfortunately, joining the Big 10 for football re-ignites the Penn State rivalry, despite all the ducking the JoePa has done over the past 20 years.
:down:

Maybe ACC adds UConn and WVU to go to 16, although I hear for some stupid reason they want Rutgers probably because of some silly notion about the New York TV market. But unlike Rutgers, UConn and WVU have relevant b-ball programs, and WVU of course has a strong football program for the last decade.

I guess the great thing about this is that in the future years when Pitt comes down to play b-ball and football games in the Triangle, I can see them in person.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://deadspin.com/5841760/a-handy-map ... ses-to-lsu

WVU ain't gettin' in the ACC, not now, not ever. See above...

My guess is they have a "silent" verbal from UConn. Thats another great bball upgrade, further hurts big east, and vicariously the slow footed big 10. Rutgers to me isn't worth it for exposure to the jersey shore.

More likely is they're working on ND first. Thereafter would either be back to Rutgers, or maybe a South Florida (although I'm sure FSU/Miami would object). If they pull UConn and Notre Dame, call it a conference at that point. Then the SEC has to settle for Mizzou, or simply have to realize they took TAM, but now are stuck having to take WVU or ECU. ACC not only struck first, but raised their exit fee to $20m per school, nobodies leaving at this point. VT could have been the domino that took it a way different direction, but them sticking with the ACC led to these other moves. Otherwise the big 12~ is now trying to pull the conference out of the fire by raising its exit fees. OU/OSU/UT/TT all want to Pac, so who knows. The pac now says it wants to sit tight.

If the ACC is set w/ two more, the pac sits tight. Then it shifts back to SEC's 14th, and not settling for someone bad, cause TAM is a good get, but not worth taking garbage on as a result. Really who the acc just crushed the most is the Big 10, cause who we got is who they prob wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

One other wildcard mentioned for acc is Kansas, but stricly bball reasons. Thats not worth it to me what so ever, but Swofford the acc commish is a big unc bball guy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:29 pm 

Yeah, I know WVU isnt getting in because it has no market, but I know you know that they are a much better fit for the ACC than Rutgers. It's not a knock against Rutgers, because it's a fine institution. I thought about going there when I was in high school. But this whole "NYC market" is so overrated it's not funny. No one in the NYC market cares about Rutgers. It has only been in the last 4-5 years that people in NYC even discovered college football existed, and it's why we've seen some short-lived hype for Rutgers and UConn football in recent years, but it's pretty unsustainable.

WVU has had a strong football program, and their B-ball program has grown immensely in the past 10 years much like Puitt's has. I mean, Bob Huggins! I know Rutgers has a great women's b-ball program that will certainly bolster the ACC, but their men's team is terrible. IINM, they haven't made the NCAA Tourney in 25 years.

I did hear something interesting on the ESPNU CFB show The Experts the other day. The one guy said that the ACC paid out $13M to their schools, and with the $20M buyout it does seem unlikely that anyone would leave. But the SEC pays out $18M/yr. to its members, and thus a school could leave the ACC for the SEC and eventually by Year 4, you'd be making much more in the SEC.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Yeah, I know WVU isnt getting in because it has no market

That too, but much more for reasons like they aren't even in the same academic universe as the acc, they're fan base is the worst in the country, they burn couches to celebrate or complain, the generate no revenue. I agree basic bball/football they're perfect, but all the other reasons won't ever let it happen. Last time VT went to morganhole, those people literally throw batteries at players....and now they serve alcohol. I have literally heard this is exponentially hurting anything they could have generate conference wise, b/c they were already sketchy to deal with prior to.

I feel confident the acc is pursing ND, but I'm sure the big 10 is also. UConn seems logical enough. I agree on Rutgers, b/c the NE USA is pro sports, not college. Really whats the best football NE USA team, PSU?

I honestly don't think any acc are going to the sec, now or later. Florida schools derailed FSU/Miami, USC derailed CU, UGA derailed GT, which left VT. VT heavily weighed its options, and to me smartly chose to continue being a big fish in a smaller pond. Nothing wrong with that imho, as 98% of cfb teams would kill for annual 10 win seasons. It fits our academic model. It fits our natural rivalries. I don't blame them, so I just don't see the sec getting an acc team at this point. 18m does account for 20m, but it also means your revenue for that year is 2m! Hard to keep propping up virtually every other collegiate sport a university has with 2m. Plus if this was so feasible, the acc would have made it 30m+.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:49 pm 

You're preaching to the choir about WVU fans.

It's just disappointing on a personal level, because i know like the Penn State rivalry, if Pitt and WVU are not in the same conference, that rivalry goes away, because for whatever reason Pitt can't schedule a non-conference opponent outside Notre Dame that doesn't involve someone or themselves crossing the Mississippi.

I don't see Notre Dame goign to a conference until this Super Conference thing goes full bore. Then you'll have difficulty for them to schedule their games if everyone is playing 10 or 11 conference games. But I still think we're a few years away from that even with all this movement. And I think the Big 10 has a much better chance of getting them. But right now their NBC deal and their well-known rivalries will prevent them joining a conference. The Big 10 has tried to entice them several times before and they always declined. And what does the ACC have that the Big 10 cannot offer more of? Boston College?

I think it's inevitable that ND goes to a conference, but probably not before their tv deal expires in 2015. And ultimately I think it's the Big 10 because they have more rivalries there.

Profile E-mail