It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tim Jennings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:47 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Is Jennings an option in Round 3. I know his stock isn't that high because he's only 5'7 1/2", but he has 4.3 speed and did 17 reps on the bench, which is 1 less than Cromartie, and more than 12 of the 19 other CBs that worked out at Indy.

I'm not sure if Jennings is going to be an option at #47, but if we get a guy like Colledge at #47, is Jennings one of our better bets at #79? Wondering what the UGA fans have to say...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:30 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

To be honest with you, Jennings could very well be a diamond in the rough. He played on a UGA team that wasn't too strong against the pass. Blue was a huge run stuffer but severely lacked in pass coverage. Basically, Jennings was put on an island every pass play and held his own very well. The one thing that helped him was that we had a very good pass rush. With another good corner opposite him and a decent safety group, I'd say he would be a good #2 CB or an above average nickel back. Especially if he doesnt have to cover the #1 reciever on the other team as he did his whole college career.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:24 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

sounds ok to me...but how long did he perform at that level??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:39 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

ridethemattrain wrote:
sounds ok to me...but how long did he perform at that level??

He was pretty consistent throughout the season, if that's what your asking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:09 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

did he get better, or stay the same throughout the season?? how was he the year before??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:57 pm 

Just say NO to Jennings and I only need one reason to make this statement: Receiver height within our own division!

Carolina Average: 6'1" (Tallest: Keyshawn Johnson @ 6'4", Shortest: Smith @ 5'9")
Tampa Average: 6'4" (Tallest: Larry Brackins @ 6'4", Shortest: Mark Jones @ 5'9")
New Orleans Average: 6'1" (Tallest: Chase Lyman @ 6'4", Shortest: Michael Lewis @ 5'8" )

Unless you want to make Jennings a dime back or ST cover man I don't see his value in this division. Only the Panthers have a starting receiver under 6' everyone else has starters at 6' and taller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:27 pm 

We should be the last team that penalizes good players for their lack of size:

see Michael Vick
see Warrick Dunn
see Rod Coleman
see Boley/DeMo
see our OL

All are very undersized by their positional standards.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:42 pm 

Pudge wrote:
We should be the last team that penalizes good players for their lack of size:

see Michael Vick
see Warrick Dunn
see Rod Coleman
see Boley/DeMo
see our OL

All are very undersized by their positional standards.

That's true but if we have a 5'7" DB on the field you know he'll make every 6'+ slot receiver look like Joe J. The one position that I think size matters big time is corner. If DeLo is 5'7" he doesn't shut down T.O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:13 pm 

Well, I'd answer with D-Lo didn't shut down to T.O. He contained him. 5'9" Willie Williams shut down T.O. back in 2004.

I agree that being 5-8 doesn't help you much when it comes to match ups. There are few quality corners under 5-10 nowadays, most are just nickel backs. Aaron Glenn, Antoine Winfield, and Dre' Bly represent the cream of th crop, and all are 5-9.

But what I really disagree with is the notion of not drafting a good player just because of his lack of size, and drafting a lesser player just because of his size. As I understand it, it was Jennings rather than DeMario Minter who was tasked with taking on the opposing teams top wideout at Georgia. Which IMO indicates Jennings is the better player. But of course, people would rather draft Minter becuase of his size (5-11) rather than Jennings.

I'm not saying that Jennings should our one and only hope to supplant Webster in the starting lineup. But at this point, Jennings has the upside to be a starting CB in the NFL. He seems a lot like Dre' Bly if you ask me. Bly came out of school with blazing speed, and had a great career at UNC, but didn't have as good a senior year. His stock fell because of that and his lack of size. But since he has grown into one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL. He makes up for his lack of size with speed, ball skills, and confidence. Jennings could be that type of player. Bly had to ride the pine for 4 years before he really got his chance. Maybe Jennings will have to do the same, but at the very least it secures our nickel position for the long-term.

When you look at which rookie cornerback was the best in last year's class, you discover it was 5'8 1/2" Darrent Williams who ran a 4.3 at last year's Combine. Better than the likes of the 6-0 guys Antrel Rolle and Carlos Rogers. That's saying something.

I just hate the notion that you don't draft a guy because he lacks size. Guys like Steve Smith, Warrick Dunn, Dre' Bly, and a wealth of other players clearly show me that I'd take a chance on a smaller guy than a big monster first because the smaller guy has been told all his life that he was too small, and therefore he knows how to work and overcome. I'd rather have a team full of those guys than your Plaxico Burress and whoever else out there have the "beyond prototype" size.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:38 pm 

I'm not saying draft based on size for any position but corner. For every Bly you have a 20 guys that didn't make it. We especially have to be careful because our conference is loaded with big receivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:23 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I agree with both Pudge and Dirty....

a CB that small does scare me because of the size of all the wr's in our division....

but then again some small players can over come their height....

if Jennings is one of those uncommon small guys then I am all for it...but it is a risk